It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dragons: Have they ever existed?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by liquidsmoke206
Dragons are based on legends of giant lizards, which did exist. ever heard of the dinosaurs?

Well, actually, the dragon originally came from Australia, with an enormous lizard called Megalania Prisca, which roamed the plains of Australia. these animals are, in fact, historic, unlike the prehistoric archaic lizards that earth billions of years ago. Although, there were fossils of winged reptiles, with a skeletal structure unlike any Pterosaurs.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I think the whole dragon myth all started by one of two ways.

1. Some form of Dino survived until the dawn of man and he lived with and fought them in the early days of man and the story has been passed down the eons.

2. Somebody way back in the day found some Dino bones and came up with a story to explain them.

Either way I think the Dinos had some major influence on the subject.

Remember behind every myth there is a tiny amount of facts.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Don’t forget that the Americas had their dragons tales to. /pun intended/ Parts of the South and Central Americas believed in feathered serpents. The Mayans believed in the Vision serpent and the Aztecs and Olmecs believed in Cihuacoatl, Coatlcue, Mixcoatl, Quetzalcoat, and Xiuhcoat,. I think these are like the Chinese dragons though, thought to help in the creation of the world, and just deities they worshiped.

But I think there definitely has to be something to the dragon myth whether it be dinosaurs or not way to many cultures believed in them for it to be totally false.

[edit on 6-1-2009 by Ant4AU]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

I have always been interested in the similarity of names such as Dragon, Draco, Dracula and have often wondered if there is a connection there at all. I think Draco is Italian for Dragon? Its also the name of a star constellation I think. Draco is also allegedly a race of winged aliens, which again is similar to the name of Dracula (who can also fly).

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I do hope that somebody would unearth a fossil of
a Dragon, considering their flying habits, I suppose
it'll be difficult.
Maybe there is a fossil of a Dragon already in a
museum somewhere, and the wing bones were just
broken off?

Maybe deliberately??...

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I posted this in another thread and hope the mods/admins and anyone else doesn't mind if I post a few links here.

I found a few links dealing with dragons even the special that was aired on History channel (I'll find the youtube video for it later, and furthermore I'd like to apologize if some of these links offend some people because it has some Christian things in it.)

www.creationists.org...
shop.history.com...

The quest for Dragons (History Channel)
www.youtube.com... -part 1
www.youtube.com... - Part 2
www.youtube.com... - Part 3
www.youtube.com... - Part 4
www.youtube.com... - Part 5.

Though I'd like to add the videos isn't 'Proof' persay, but CGI mixed in with various cultures beliefs on the notion of dragons.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
If anthroplogists did break off the fossil wings to
hide the fact that Dragons DID fly around the
world, then I wonder what else they may have
done.

They probably excavated all the Platinum from
the poor beast's tummy and 'weighed it in' at the
nearest scrap yard.
That'll explain why most Professors and Anthroplogists
look rich and brainy, they'll have stashes of Platinum
put away for a rainy day!

I bet they just hope no Dragons still exist or they'll
find it!

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
the origins of the dragon mythos might have come from early man's discoveries of the fossilized remains of feathered reptiles/dinosaurs (archeopteryx, deinonychus, etc).

just imagine the conversation between barney and fred when they first found one.

fred: yo barney, come look at this over here.

barney: what ya got, fred?

fred: it's some kinda skeleton of a feathered crocodile-lizard thing

barney: oh c'mon, quit joking fred. everyone knows lizards ain't got no feathers.

fred: looks to me like this one did.

barney: oh yea? and it must have breathed fire too, huh. you're being silly fred. let's go...

VS

... and thus the legend was born.

[edit on 1.11.09 by toreishi]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by toreishi

Yo maybe correct (assuming early man called themselves
Fred and Barney!) We see debris and we wish for UFOs,
we see decomposed animal bodies and see Dragons and
Sea Serpents.

But IF Dragons existed, Fred and Barney would've been
wary of any shadows flying over 'em.

[edit on 11-1-2009 by IronMan]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I think that "dragons" could easily be true in a sense. However, it also makes sense that they would be a myth produced by the discovery of dino bones and observations of volcanos. Then again, there is always the "lost world" theory. It's possible, but unlikely that a number of species could evolve similarly in many different parts of the world and have none of them be properly documented. I'm just waiting for some evidence or explanation!

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
If you grab hold of a bible, look up Job 41. It might say crocodile or whale, but when you read it you can clearly understand that god is talking about a dragon. I believe they existed at one time but where probably wiped out with the dinosaurs

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Sure dragons existed, still do. Tiny little dragons...
They're just a lot smaller than you thought they would be, they glide instead of fly and they don't breath fire.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I've long thought belief in them probably came from the finding of bones. Ancient peoples (and even very recently) were all very familiar with the bodies of animals. We forget that, because most of us now live in urban or suburban settings and don't hunt, kill, butcher, etc. our own food. But anyone who even remotely familiar with animal anatomies they way most anyone would have been back then, who one day while walking happened upon a skeleton of a beast like Tyrannosaurus or some giant sauropod, would have to conclude that some great beast had died here some time ago. Compare those bones to other animals they knew and pretty quickly they would decide it was more like reptiles they knew of than anything else. The long necks and spine would be most like a snake, the great teeth most like a crocodile, etc. It's no leap to see how they might have come to this conclusion just from the bones, alone.

posted on Apr, 4 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I Suggest the 'Dragon' myth arises from known flying/gliding lizards, and prehaps their prehistoric ancestors. A few thousand years ago the asia's
may have still had larger, now extinct species (but not as large as the myths suggest).

posted on Apr, 19 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
From my research all I could find was the "Ouroboros"
It's the dragon that eats it's own tail, or in some religons there are two of them in a circle like and one eats the othes tail very sybolic for eternity.

rumor has it that when the planets align that the dragon will appear, possibly that through the circle it creates is a parallel universe symilar to our own. This is not for certain

Yes dragons are sick! I want own for my own.

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
How many people here actually have some sort of familiarity with dracology?

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Wow... I can't believe this thread is still going.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
I think the whole dragon myth all started by one of two ways.

1. Some form of Dino survived until the dawn of man and he lived with and fought them in the early days of man and the story has been passed down the eons.

2. Somebody way back in the day found some Dino bones and came up with a story to explain them.

Either way I think the Dinos had some major influence on the subject.

Remember behind every myth there is a tiny amount of facts.

I agree 100% - Ive thought that myself.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
It is not at all ilogical to believe that dragons are dinosours. In fact according to the definition of the word dinosour (terrible lizard) they are indeed dinosours. But as to your theories to explain their origen, I'm afraid that is ilogical. To save you the time of researching every nation in recorded history I will just tell you that your theories are ilogical because every people that have ever reigned have legends of dragons and almost every one of them have descriptions thats describe at least one of the dragons we know of today such as wyverin's or firedrakes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join