It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets Actually Start Learning Something About our World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I watched a number of lectures by Jordan Maxwell a while ago that made me realise how much I didn't know about the world I lived in. The 'bubble of awareness' I had led myself to believe I was living in popped and I suddenly realised I hadn't done my homework. Most of the topics on ATS are based on a person's understanding of the events going on in the world through the media, some ideas are fired out carelessly and some are personal ideas of what could be going on. The symbols and the history of those symbols out there on the Earth are accessible to everyone and tell us the true underlining intention of much that goes on. Deciphering true meaning is as easy as spending a few moments to scour the internet to find a number of sources that agree on a general idea and following up on it. There are thousands of us on this site alone, each with a thirst for truth and enlightenment, capable of doing together, many lifetimes of work in a very short space of time and yet we always get caught up with the surface level of things, forming opinions of events without bothering to find out the real foundations and generally forming our world view from a single biased media source. If we truly want to know the truth, we have to dig for it. Here for example are the meanings of the days of the week. I sat down today, had no idea about any of them or their origins and just started looking. Lets start decoding the world stage together. Lets collectively understand what really is going on out there...

TDays of the Week

• Sunday: The name Sunday comes from the Old English Sunnandæg (pronounced [sun.nan.dæg] or [sun.nan.dæj), meaning "Day of the Sun". This is a translation of the Latin phrase Dies Solis. English, like most of the Germanic languages, preserves the original pagan/sun associations of the day. Many other European languages, including all of the Romance languages, have changed its name to the equivalent of "the Lord's day" (based on Ecclesiastical Latin Dies Dominica). Compare: Spanish and Portuguese Domingo, French Dimanche, Romanian Duminică and Italian Domenica.
• Monday: The name Monday comes from the Old English Mōnandæg (pronounced [mon.nan.dæg] or [mon.nan.dæj'), meaning "Day of the Moon". This is likely based on a translation of the Latin name Dies Lunae (cf. Romance language versions of the name, e.g., French Lundi, Spanish, Lunes, Romanian Luni, Italian Lunedì).
• Tuesday: The name Tuesday comes from the Old English Tiwesdæg (pronounced [ti.wes.dæg] or [ti.wes.dæj], meaning "Tyr's day." Tyr (in Old English, Tiw, Tew or Tiu) was a god of combat and heroic glory in Norse mythology and Germanic paganism. The name of the day is based on Latin Dies Martis, "Day of Mars" (the Roman war god); compare: French Mardi, Spanish Martes, Romanian Marţi and Italian Martedì.
• Wednesday: The name Wednesday comes from the Old English Wōdnesdæg (pronounced [woːd.nes.dæg] or [woːd.nes.dæj) meaning the day of the Germanic god Wodan, more commonly known as Odin, who was the highest god in Norse mythology, and a prominent god of the Anglo-Saxons (and other peoples) in England until about the seventh century. It is based on Latin Dies Mercurii, "Day of Mercury"; compare: French Mercredi, Spanish Miércoles, Romanian Miercuri and Italian Mercoledì. The connection between Mercury and Odin is more strained than the other syncretic connections. The usual explanation is that both Odin and Mercury were considered psychopomps, or leaders of souls, in their respective mythologies. Also, in Old Norse myth, Odin, like Mercury, is associated with poetic and musical inspiration. In German, the day is referred to as Mittwoch (mid week). Similarly in Finnish it is referred to as keskiviikko (keski = mid, viikko = week).

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
• Thursday: The name Thursday comes from the Old English Þūnresdæg (pronounced [θuːn.res.dæg] or [θuːn.res.dæj]), meaning the day of Þunor, commonly known in Modern English as Thor, the god of thunder in Norse Mythology and Germanic Paganism. It is based on the Latin Dies Iovis, "Day of Jupiter"; compare: French Jeudi, Spanish Jueves, Romanian Joi and Italian Giovedì. In the Roman pantheon, Jupiter was the chief god, who seized and maintained his power on the basis of his thunderbolt (Fulmen).
• Friday: The name Friday comes from the Old English Frigedæg (pronounced [fri.je.dæg] or [fri.je.dæj]), meaning the day of Frige, the Germanic goddess of beauty, who is a later incarnation of the Norse goddess Frigg, but also potentially connected to the Goddess Freyja. It is based on the Latin Dies Veneris, "Day of Venus"; compare: French Vendredi, Spanish Viernes, Romanian Vineri and Italian Venerdì. Venus was the Roman goddess of beauty, love and sex.
• Saturday: Saturday is the only day of the week to retain its Roman origin in English, named after the Roman god Saturn associated with the Titan Cronus, father of Zeus and many Olympians. Its original Anglo-Saxon rendering was Sæturnesdæg (pronounced [sæ.tur.nes.dæg] or [sæ.tur.nes.dæj]). In Latin it was Dies Saturni, "Day of Saturn"; compare: French Samedi. The Spanish and Portuguese Sábado, the Romanian Sâmbătă, and the Italian Sabato come from Sabbata Dies (Day of the Sabbath).

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Sure are a lot of anomalies in our present day "culture". The origins of the names for the months are also revealing, as is the penultimate form of mind control - Time. The persistence of ancient systems' influence is something that continues to puzzle me. One of the theories I have is that natural selection is playing a part, in that a society that wins a war becomes better able to wage future war, enabling those decendants to become even better, and before you know it, you get a dominant strain that can exist for many generations. We are one wacky species.

new topics

join