It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

24" screens?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Hey all,

So Im looking to upgrade my screen. Currently Im using a ASUS 19" VW198T and loving it... except now I just want something bigger and I figured that something that 24 inches would be perfect; I watch a lot of movies at high resolutions. But Im thinking that I might keep my 19" for gaming (res: 1680x1050) because I only have a 4580 1gb (not good for gaming at 1980x1200 at a good fps).
So here is what Im after in terms of specs:

res: 1980x1200
contrast: 1000:1 at least (dynamic doesnt really matter)
dvi-d (well thats a given on lcd screens)
vga (again, this is a given)
hdmi
responce time: 5ms

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
TigerDirect has a 26" LCD by Westinghouse with some rather attractive specifications, to include a 2ms response time. They're currently offering $1.99 shipping on all orders over $100.

www.tigerdirect.com...

You can also checkout the other 22" and above monitors they're currently offering here:
22" and above
(sorted from lowest to highest price)

I've dealt with them for many years and have Never encountered a situation that left me anything less than Impressed. Excellent products and prices, not to mention their their backend support being second to None.

Hope this helps.

[edit on 29-11-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Thanks man, much appreciated

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
If you haven't already decided........look at Acer. They have amazing displays, and are well-priced. I have a 22" from Acer and it's the best I've ever had.

Newegg: www.newegg.com...
-$339.99 + free shipping
-24"
-2ms
-3000:1 contrast
-DVI, VGA, HDMI
-HDCP support
-1920 x 1200
-5 out of 5 rating average rating over 383 reviews

[edit on 12/2/2008 by iceofspades]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by iceofspades

mmm, I havnt got one yet, Im still deciding lol. I hadnt actualy gave the Acers much of a look in, maybe ill go have a look and see how they all are.

Edn

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
If you dont play a lot of games but definitely need the good colour accuracy then dont be to bothered about the response time, generally youll get one better then the other unless you want to pay a lot more money. Most monitors are fast enough now anyway but dont restrict yourself to under 5ms because you start really limiting your choices.

Samsung monitors are pretty good and they do (at least in the UK) have a good returns policy if there is anything wrong with them.

on a side note, if you think thats messy you haven't seen my desk

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I have an Acer 22 in wide screen works great for me,better then the other LCD's I've had

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Most 22 inch monitors have a 1680X1050 native resolution.

If you game, may In suggest a 2 ms responce time monitor, seriously.

I like the Samsung T220 and 2232BW.

I also like the LG monitors.

One of the most important things to know is "YOU CAN'T PICK A MONITOR/TV BY SPEC'S ALONE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can have 10 monitors with the same spec's, but radically different prices and performances.

Yes, you really need to stand in a store and adjust each monitor to the center and look at them for sharpness/motion blur/brightness/color depth....................

In my experience, a quality 22 inch will cost you from about $275 to $350 depending on brand/model and sale or not.

Pure digital signal all the way will also make the monitor sharper in image. ( I mean use a AVI digital cable).

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

mmm, thanks for the heads up. Ill make sure to go into a store to have a look at some.
Yea, Im def not after a 22. Ive already got a 19 that does that res any how... its great for gaming and everything. But a 24 would be so much funkier for watching movies lol.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Just remember a few thing's.

There is generally a big price jump from 22inch to 24 inch monitors.

When you move to 24inch and want a digital cable, make sure you get the double wire run version-needed for all monitors 24inch or LARGER.

Also know the at the larger the monitor, the harder it is on the video card for playing movies/games.

Good luck and have fun with your new monitor.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
You might consider a dual monitor set up.

Keep your current monitor and add another.

You get a LOT more benefit, and can surf AND watch a movie at the same time. I keep IMdB open in one while I watch the movie or TV show in the other.

I have two 20-inch Samsung 206BWs.

Easy to set up, too. Just a thought.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
That is a true option,

HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you run dual monitors and not dual cards, you are dividing the processing power of your video card between the two monitors.

For gaming and or high def movies, this "MAY" run into a bit of problems.

Now lets hear it for the ATS Dancers:

:clwndnc :

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
rofl, thats a heaps good idea hey. Well its not like Id be doing anythnig with the big screen when Im gaming anyhow.... then when I upgrade my card I should be able to game on the 24 well enough.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
Just remember a few thing's.

There is generally a big price jump from 22inch to 24 inch monitors.

When you move to 24inch and want a digital cable, make sure you get the double wire run version-needed for all monitors 24inch or LARGER.

Also know the at the larger the monitor, the harder it is on the video card for playing movies/games.

Good luck and have fun with your new monitor.

lol its all good mrmonsoon, I know all of this already. but I appreciate the advice
. Im not to worried about the price jump at the moment, I reckon Ill end up spending somethign like $600 AUD on a screen.... Ive actualy been considering getting one of the new apple screens, but there are no reviews on them...... good excuse to go the apple store lol.
I think I remember saying something about keeping my 19" for gaming in my OP. Bt yea, I love getting new computer bits lol and the process of finding them.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
A 4850 should do relatively well even at high resolutions. If it doesn't - be sure to overclock the hell out of it. (My 8800GT is 40% overclocked )

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

lol, Dependson what game and what fps you want to get out of it. It does well at 1680 x 1050. But yea..... Ill to get OCing it lol.

new topics

top topics

join