It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orwell Lives - The Official "Thanks for Your Time" Guantanamo Release Letter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Where to start? As I have stated in the past,imo this is the biggest blight on the constitution currently - and there are many I know. My God, what were they thinking? As it all unravels on top of us, the destruction of many innocent lives goes unnoticed, and the abuses of rights continues for those who may be found guilty of something. This number however, is pathetic next to the number we have released for nothing - with this:

27 Nov 2008 05:18 pm

Orwell Lives/Andrew Sullivan/The Atlantic.com
Perhaps the Bush administration's worst legacy has been its abuse of the language:

Of the 770 detainees grabbed here and there and flown to Guantánamo, only 23 have ever been charged with a crime. Of the more than 500 so far released, many traumatized by those “enhanced” techniques, not one has received an apology or compensation for their season in hell.

What they got on release was a single piece of paper from the American government. A U.S. official met one of the dozens of Afghans now released from Guantánamo and was so appalled by this document that he forwarded me a copy.

Dated Oct. 7, 2006, it reads as follows:

“An Administrative Review Board has reviewed the information about you that was talked about at the meeting on 02 December 2005 and the deciding official in the United States has made a decision about what will happen to you. You will be sent to the country of Afghanistan. Your departure will occur as soon as possible.”

What if you got this after four years being abused in the name of justice freedom and democracy? Who is the "deciding official" on what "Administrative Review Board"? What is the "information about you?" This is outrageous!

andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com...

ColoradoJens

[edit on 28-11-2008 by ColoradoJens]

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Truly disgusting

Here's the actual source for the article:
www.nytimes.com...

Anyone knows if any of the 500 that have been release are suing the US government?

Seems like a clear case of wrongful imprisonment, no? The Administration has a way of dancing around the laws don't they?

[edit on 29/11/08 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiracyNut23

ConspiracyNut23, thanks for the link. I just can't believe how this is it. This is your official document for what just happend to you for the last four years. Pathetic doesn't begin to descibe the United States' behavior regarding this issue; it always comes back to justice, and the constitution - foresight is not a specialty of politicians or military leaders. It's too bad we have bought attorneys and judges so that the law may be manipulated for expedient purposes. Hmmm. Hope someone else reads this and gets incensed.

ColoradoJens

join