It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Have All the ADD/ADHD and Allergic Syndrome Children Come From?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Many years ago, when I was at primary school, I do not recall a single incident of children caling out repeatedly or running around the class or being medicated for anything other than the head lice infections that were common amongst the young. Children feared the teachers and knew that if classwork or homework was incomplete, they would be met with pain from the hands of a steely-eyed pedagogue carrying a leather belt with fronds at the end to increase the surface area for causing cellular damage.

Compare that with the picture today. Children are now allowed to sit back and have an amenuensis or scribe writing their notes if they have ADD/ADHD or dyslexia. The material that the class complete is carefully read out to them. They are tolerated for running around the class or occasionally uttering obscenities. About up to half of an average class will admit to having asthma and carry inhalers which they will periodically administer to themselves in the classroom.

Where the heck did this come from?

Is this something cultural? Is it due to a huge increase in pollution? Is it due to the Government experimenting with chemtrails or chemicals on an unsuspecting public? Is it due to greater awareness of the problem? Why is it that there are now so many ADD/ADHD pupils along with those with allergies?

Somebody clear this up for me because these things did not exist in my day...

[edit on 28/11/2008 by Heronumber0]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
It could be all the additives to our foods, hormones in the meat, and the additives put in immunizations.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq
It could be all the additives to our foods, hormones in the meat, and the additives put in immunizations.

Thanks for the reply, but hang on... which additives in the immunisations?

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Heronumber0

When a mommy and a daddy love each other very much...

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
It is not a joking matter but my take is that a lot of it has to do with the funding that goes to "special needs". I think that in a lot (certainly, not all) of cases, a diagnosis of ADHD or any other of a number of triggers, will get a child into a program which probably provides the equivalent of a private school education at no cost.

The providers of the programs receive much of their funding by mandated government spending. It is in their best interests to encourage a special needs diagnosis even in marginal cases.

[edit on 11/28/2008 by Phage]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I think most of it is hysteria.

I had severe allergic asthma as a child, and I can still not be sure that some of it was not in my head. When you know that your airway can close at any time, the fear can be worse than the actual condition, and kids find some pretty strange ways to deal with that.

I have yet to see any evidence that the ADD/ADHD thing is real. More often than not it seems to be an excuse for natural intellectual limitations and learned dysfunctional behaviors. Certainly it is diagnosed and medicated far too often.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

When a mommy and a daddy love each other very much...

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
It is not a joking matter but my take is that a lot of it has to do with the funding that goes to "special needs". I think that in a lot (certainly, not all) of cases, a diagnosis of ADHD or any other of a number of triggers, will get a child into a program which probably provides the equivalent of a private school education at no cost.

The providers of the programs receive much of their funding by mandated government spending. It is in their best interests to encourage a special needs diagnosis even in marginal cases.

[edit on 11/28/2008 by Phage]

That is interesting phage. So is it in the interests of parents to press for a diagnosis if the child is underachieving?

However, in my experience, the vast majority of children diagnosed with ADD/ADHD are white. I have seldom seen a child of black or Asian origin being diagnosed with these problems, yet they exhibit the exact same symptoms.

I do agree, Grumble, that it seems to be diagnosed far too often.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I was looking for my main list, which was extensive, but after pages of search, I'm settling for this right now:

here

Good Evening Everyone,

Well it finally happened, a new study just confirmed that vaccine additives

are damaging to the people who get them.

The main bad guy - thimerosal - is implicated in Autism and ADD.

The complete Calgary Herald article is below.

And yes, the Flu vaccine (that they want everyone to get) STILL contains Thimerosal.

I have been explaining the concern with vaccine additives to my

clients for several years.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   

For cultural reasons I think those of Asian descent would be more concerned about a stigma being attached to the child for being "put" into such a program and be less inclined to take advantage. For those of African descent, the cause might be similar or it may possibly be a lower level of access. I really don't know but realize that your experience is not necessarily representative.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

I have some ideas about this subject that borderline on conspiracy theory stuff, but since this is ATS...

1) increased use of fluoride (a known poison)
2) schoolchildren today were the last of the thimerasol (mercury) preservative vaccinations
3) increased vaccinations from 5 to 35
4) genetically engineered foods
5) hormones and anti-biotics in almost every bit of produce from agri-business
6) mercury fallout
7) people used to have a whole food diet, now we have processed food out the patootie
8) increase in high speed processing (TV, internet, video games)

I mean...the world today is pretty much nuts. It could be any or all of the above.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heronumber0
Many years ago, when I was at primary school, I do not recall a single incident of children caling out repeatedly or running around the class or being medicated for anything other than the head lice infections that were common amongst the young. Children feared the teachers and knew that if classwork or homework was incomplete, they would be met with pain from the hands of a steely-eyed pedagogue carrying a leather belt with fronds at the end to increase the surface area for causing cellular damage.

Compare that with the picture today. Children are now allowed to sit back and have an amenuensis or scribe writing their notes if they have ADD/ADHD or dyslexia. The material that the class complete is carefully read out to them. They are tolerated for running around the class or occasionally uttering obscenities. About up to half of an average class will admit to having asthma and carry inhalers which they will periodically administer to themselves in the classroom.

Where the heck did this come from?

Is this something cultural? Is it due to a huge increase in pollution? Is it due to the Government experimenting with chemtrails or chemicals on an unsuspecting public? Is it due to greater awareness of the problem? Why is it that there are now so many ADD/ADHD pupils along with those with allergies?

Somebody clear this up for me because these things did not exist in my day...

I'm in my last year of high school and haven't seen what you're describing. I've never seen someone use an inhaler during class except one time and that's because a girl was having a panic attack or something like that. Sounds to me like you're describing Tourette's with the other "scenarios" and if so then yes, that does happen, but ADD/ADHD, while I do believe in it to an extent, I feel that it is HIGHLY over-diagnosed just to get kids on medicine. Typical "cases" of ADD/ADHD that I have seen is just the kid not being able to focus for too long. But then again, isn't that part of childhood?

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I was looking for my main list, which was extensive, but after pages of search, I'm settling for this right now:

here

Good Evening Everyone,

Well it finally happened, a new study just confirmed that vaccine additives

are damaging to the people who get them.

The main bad guy - thimerosal - is implicated in Autism and ADD.

The complete Calgary Herald article is below.

And yes, the Flu vaccine (that they want everyone to get) STILL contains Thimerosal.

I have been explaining the concern with vaccine additives to my

clients for several years.

Very interesting link. Obviously the vaccine industry would try to debunk the results of the study to avoid litigation. However, the figures of a potential 1/200 children being affected is absolutely shocking.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
ADD/ADHD is often mis-diagnosed. Some of these children are dyslexic, or may be showing symptoms of Asbergers Syndrome, a form of High Autism that seems to affect people with a higher IQ.

There will always be the simple "mis behaving" bratty child...but, I know from experience, these kids are too quickly diagnosed with the easy write off of ADD/ADHD.

As for what causes it...anybody's guess is as good as another...it could be anything due to the state of our world environment today.

~Holly

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Well its a study that made main media news in Calgary. I think there's some really good culprits being listed in this thread already. The over diagnosis for extra funding is valid as well. Because my children were checked out by the Health Nurse, due to their high energy. But they can concentrate when they're interested in things, and after she tested them I relayed the fact that their grandfather and on the other side, grandmother were high energy, cranky types, (my father was a workaholic all his life).

I remember my friends son being placed on dangerous meds because his parents and doctors concurred that he had ADD. But I knew him, and completely disagreed. I had babysat a child who would truly fit the bill, and he truly couldn't concentrate. Some kids are just high energy and there are other learning disabilities, such as apraxia, dylsexia, that can result in misdiagnosis. In this case, the meds have bad side effects.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rintendo

I have some ideas about this subject that borderline on conspiracy theory stuff, but since this is ATS...

1) increased use of fluoride (a known poison)
2) schoolchildren today were the last of the thimerasol (mercury) preservative vaccinations
3) increased vaccinations from 5 to 35
4) genetically engineered foods
5) hormones and anti-biotics in almost every bit of produce from agri-business
6) mercury fallout
7) people used to have a whole food diet, now we have processed food out the patootie
8) increase in high speed processing (TV, internet, video games)

I mean...the world today is pretty much nuts. It could be any or all of the above.

Very wide list there rin. The fluoride seems to have a sedative effect if I remember rightly. However, the effects of mercury are well known I am sure. I think the jury is still out for GM foods at the moment. Processed foods seem to have a highly unhealthy dose of salts and other additives.

British schools have been forced to serve 'healthy' meals to children with freshly cooked food as a standard and carbonated drinks banned on school premises. Guess what? Students still bring in sweets and fizzy drinks with some of the more business minded making a healthy profit from selling junk foods to their contemporaries.

However, you may well be right. There may be a cumulative effect on the health of the children from the multifaceted attack by chemicals and additives.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Well its a study that made main media news in Calgary. I think there's some really good culprits being listed in this thread already. The over diagnosis for extra funding is valid as well. Because my children were checked out by the Health Nurse, due to their high energy. But they can concentrate when they're interested in things, and after she tested them I relayed the fact that their grandfather and on the other side, grandmother were high energy, cranky types, (my father was a workaholic all his life).

As a teacher, I find that students can calm down and concentrate when they engage with material that they are given. I have seldom found genuine candidates for ADD/ADHD diagnosis. However, once given the label, they tend to use the condition to justify their actions if their behaviour is disruptive. It is different from high energy as you mention above. The medication, usually Ritalin, results in the student having a 'zonked' expression as they blankly try to process information. It is a bit worrying in the context of all the other additives and dangerous chemicals that accumulate in the bodies of our children. I wish that I had been better informed before I consented to have my own children immunised.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Blame it on the sugar. Or other bastardized food such as industrial flour, industrial rice, industrial meat, etc.

Good ol' whacking should help kids, too.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Can you say $? The psych docs and drug companies figured out a way to make money and give kids addicting drugs. What's wrong with this picture? When I was in school(1st grade, 1956, you do the math) there were no hyperactive kids, there were no kids with "behavioral problems," there were just kids who did what the teacher told them, or didn't. If you misbehaved in class, then you got your butt busted. If you did good, you got a gold star.
In today's classes, no one gets punished, and everyone gets a gold star! I'm sorry, but that's not the way the real world works. I wish it worked that way, but it doesn't, and it won't ever. Sorry!
We cannot really blame this on all on the docs and the drug companies. The NEA, the teachers, and above all, the parents, must accept some of the blame. In fact, the parents must accept the majority of it. Your child has to much energy? Teach him how to handle it. Your child has difficulty focusing? Teach them how to meditate. Teach them how to THINK!
Think I'm being hard on everyone? Guess what? When I was a kid, I had epilepsy. I was on strong meds, which slowed me down, made it difficult me for me to think, and sometimes made me go to sleep in class. Do you think I caught a break?
My mother told my theachers to treat me exactly like every other student. If I messed up, I got my butt busted. If I went to sleep in class, I got scolded for not paying attention. (As a result, I can stay awake for amazingly long periods, or go to sleep at the drop of a hat today) I was expected by my parents and my doctor to keep my grades up, and if the grades weren't satisfactory, then my neurologist chewed my A$$ out! (And you haven't been chewed out until a man who actually knows your IQ starts in on you.)
I don't believe in ADD. I think it's something that has been invented by greedy drug companies and doctors and by teachers and parents who are too lazy to do their jobs. It's time for parents to step up to the plate and be parents, and it's time for teachers to go back to school and learn how to teach. (Or get another job!)

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
As having suffered from dyslexia, being an ants in the pants (Attention Deficit), I notice two things.

1. I did a course to develop my hypocampus (yeah, that big bitty that connects left and right side of the brain together).

2. Many kids are given drugs for this and improve, but at 15 (ie 10 years later), they are worse than they began. We are going to have a generation of 'miracle cure pill' disasters. And we will need to look after them.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
ADD/ADHD comes from made up disease names that are voted on making up disorders then call them diseases.
There is not one validation test to diagnose these made up syndromes, disorders, mental illness or disease.

See this investigative report on youtube
www.youtube.com...

There has never been a "cured" mental illness patient.

This ADD/ADHD is a made up syndrome and any behavioral symptoms are mostly due to diet, and feeding medications for this can be toxic.

A friend of mine announced awhile back that after 12 years of misdiagnoses, he was finally diagnosed correctly. He now has bipolar disorder.
How did they test for this? There is no test. It's an agreed upon name given to those who have "symptoms" or Behavioral problems.

I think I can count 5 people I know now that have bipolar disorder. And that is as many I know of who are seeing shrinks.
That is a whole lot of bipolar.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   

I'm sure any complex behavior has a constellation of causes.

But I suspect there is ONE cause in the majority of upper and middle class american families that is being ignored:

Paying attention is a learned skill. It is not innate, but is a constellation of traits a person learns as they develop emotionally, and learn to perform meaningful work.

In ancient times, children were required to perform "chores." This allowed parents and other adults to circumvent labor laws and benefit economically from the oppression of non-voters participating in coerced labor in the domestic economy.

But one unexpected side-effect is that little girls who helped with the sewing learned to pay attention to making uniformly straight stitches. Little boys forced to care for livestock learned to pay attention to the needs of another living being beyond himself. Little boys armed with slingshots learned to hunt and thus pay attention to the movements of animals intent on avoiding the stew pot. Little girls coerced into hoeing in the garden learned to diagnose insect infestations, and to differentiate weeds from valuable food plants.

Luckily, we've saved a whole generation of kids, now adults with children of their own, from ever having to do chores or pay attention to other living things at all.

Isn't it cool? We've created a world where you don't have to even pay attention.

So much for Darwin!

At least until the next economic downturn---ooops!

<<   2  3 >>

join