It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Middle East Media Research Institute

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
The Middle East Media Research Institute, MEMRI for short.

This is a 10 year old orginization, that i just found recently...

Has anyone seen this before...

I am initaily blown away by the depth that it is presenting.

www.memri.org...

It is a news site. That focuses on the Middle East, in relations to the rest of the world.

I have never seen such a mountain of information concetrated in one area.

If you have a min, an hour, or a whole day, check it out.

Ive been on on it 20 mins, and i am very impressed

Like these quotes, from some Egyptian Liberal Amin Al-Mahdi

on US's destruction of Saddam

"...[Invasions] constitute historical moments of change for closed societies which have no way of changing or reforming themselves, and which cannot regain their strength under imperialist regimes that oppress their societies and spread anti-modern culture... The situation in Iraq before the invasion was similar to the situation today in Egypt, Sudan, Yemen and Libya. Their societies are in decline and are [practically] at death's door, while the state has become ugly and controlling.

"This is not [just] a moral issue to be either accepted or rejected... it has to do with people's lives. The U.S. invasion of Iraq was the only chance to bring change to this country and to the Muslim world [at large]. I think that it set in motion something that will not stop, despite all the Americans' mistakes... These mistakes are grave and have cost us dearly, as have the mistakes of the Arab regimes in the region. But [if the U.S. hadn't invaded,] the price would have been steeper still. It was a choice between bad and worse, 'bad' being the U.S. invasion of Iraq and 'worse' being the Saddam Hussein regime. For myself, I prefer the bad to the worse."

And on WHY Arab Dictoatorships deny Social Freedoms

"The dictatorships of Southeast Asia and South America leaned towards European culture, with its capitalist model of growth and liberal renaissance. They were true dictatorships, yet they had tendencies and principles [anchored in] Western liberalism. Consequently, they encouraged economic growth, which [in turn] led to political development. Their societies have social freedoms, based on the [free] enterprise of individuals and families. Those are the seeds of capitalism, and that is why [these societies] have prospered...

"The Arab dictatorships, on the other hand, deny [their citizens] both social and political freedoms. In this situation, how is it possible to nurture individual creativity and establish capitalist regimes or social [bodies] representing [various] public sectors, which lead to the development of democracy? How is this possible when social freedoms are denied?"

I feel like i have found a internet gold mind of forbidden information...

[edit on 11/28/2008 by TKainZero]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Good post. A new perspective is always welcome. Stared and flagged.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Founding

Have you ever seen this site?

I gave up on American Media outlets years ago, but this... this is something i think i could start to visit often...

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
thanks for the info!! starred and flagged fsho. I love it when people find sites ad share them. As a fairly new ats member (ACTIVE, anyways), the ashariing of information and ideas came as a very unexpected by welcomed shock.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Thanks for the replys.

You have convinced me that i have indeed stumbled upon some intelectual anarchy website...

An outlet that does indeed still honor the phrase, "Free and independent press", and brings forth the proud spoils of our first amendment.

--

Found this

"Since MEMRI's inception eight years ago, Americans and others in the West have had at least one outstanding source of information on the media of the Arab world, Iran and Turkey. MEMRI provides timely translations of materials that you will find nowhere else. As a member of Congress on the House International Relations Committee, and the top Democratic member of its Terrorism Subcommittee, I have utilized MEMRI.org to better understand the Middle East and its political culture."

From some random US House Rep... Bradley J. "Brad" Sherman

[edit on 11/28/2008 by TKainZero]

new topics

top topics

join