It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where can i get a PC with no OS.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
i am looking to buy a new laptop and i don't want vista that most computers come preinstalled with. i want to install ubuntu on whatever cmputer i get. any suggestions?

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
cant you just download ubuntu/linux onto the computer?

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Absolutely.

Tigerdirect.com sells computers with no OS. You can get a complete computer with nothing on the hard drive. Or build your own. Buy a good used computer. Newegg.com may sell computers with no OS as well.

You can download Ubuntu, or another one like openSUSE, which I just installed yesterday. It's pretty neat.

Go to Ubuntu.com, or openSUSE.org. You download the ISO from them and burn them on a CD or DVD, whichever is the case.

Troy

[edit on 29-11-2008 by cybertroy]

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
well the thing is if i dont get an OS i should be saving atleast 100$. 2 reformatting a drive is just moving stuff around so i lose space. 3. a computer that comes with an os usually has the hardware that best supports that os so ill get cut corners because they need to support microsoft.

and i do have ubuntu on a disc as well as xubuntu, kubuntu, freespire, opensuse, and several others.

and btw what other linux distros are there. i currently use ubuntu but woulndt mind trying around.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Reformatting just means you will be wiping the drive, and starting over, unless you want to dual-boot or something, which would mean you would be sharing the hard drive between two OS's. You'll have the same amount of space available on your hard drive before you install if you choose to use the entire drive. Just back up your files on an external drive or something.

Or perhaps you just want an additional computer. You could just throw a larger drive in your current computer, and dual boot or use it exclusively for a single OS.

Unless, you just want some more power from a newer computer.

Troy

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Dell sells the Mini 9 with Ubuntu preinstalled. www.dell.com...~ck=mn#subcats=&navla=&a=51800~0~1932545

Other than that, like cybertroy said, look on Tigerdirect.

Edn

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Depending on the company and as long as you document it (record it) you can get any computer and reject the EULA when you turn it on and ask for a refund on the OS you dont want to use. Legally your entitled to get a refund if you dont accept the terms of the EULA.

as for computers with GNU/Linux installed Dell do some options, also www.system76.com... only do computers with GNU/Linux installed.

As for other Distros, you could try Fedora 10, ive been using it for a few days and it works great.

You could also try Sabayon GNU/Linux which is pretty awesome.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Word has it that places like system76 do go that extra mile to make sure Linux works well on that machine. So, it may be a better option if you don't like to tinker.

Linux can involve some tinkering.

I'm actually on Fedora 10 myself. It's good, but it's not perfect. I would either pick Fedora or Ubuntu. Fedora 9 may be better since it's been around a while and has had more of the bugs worked out. Ubuntu 8.04 might be your better choice, again, because it's been around a while. 8.10, I'm sure still has some bugs to work out. 8.10 will also not be a long term supported version. I'm thinking the next one will be.

Troy

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
For the love of god do NOT buy a Dell. ARGH!!!!!!!!

They are cheap peices of junk that probably cost dell no more than $2 each.
Infact, don't buy HP, Compaq, either.

[edit on 14/12/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Beware of Tiger Direct..Personal experience.
I buy all my gear at Newegg...Never had a problem with returns.
Don't think we can post Vendors direct links here...
But browse over to Newegg and go to their Laptop / notebook section. They have numerous machines with Linux distros.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by andolin

I like newegg as well. Once in a while I will use zipzoomfly too. They have similar deals to newegg, similar shipping times and good user experiences.

To the OP, have you considered the Eee PC by Asus? I am pretty sure you can get it with Linux on it.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
the only answer i can give the OP is to build your own pc. or are people these days too lazy to learn?

Instructions

Instructions 2

Pricing (see Technology)

[edit on 12.14.08 by toreishi]

top topics

join