It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan workers told to go home and procreate

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442

IT's the same reason as Canada and Europe, really - post war baby boom, followed by a period of affluence. Those people had fewer kids - and their kids look to be following in their footsteps.

The lynchpin for Japan is immigration. Other countries have been able to attract and keep people to keep the population numbers up somewhat. Japan is more difficult, largely because of the language barrier. Most people don't study Japanese while growing up, so it's not the first choice on their list for somewhere to immigrate to.

Vox,
thanks a lot for the information. It is always good to hear from people where the new is coming from. Thanks again.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Someone stated earlier that USA should do this... but I don't think we are suffering from any sort of population deficits. if anything else Americans need to learn to put their members away. Population booms are going to rape this planet if we don't curb them.

Still, if 2 people get together and have 2 children.. well then, problem solved. it's shows like 17 children and counting that I find a little wrong and sad

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jcheney

Jcheney
I agree with your feelings about the post you made. I also agree that population is and will be a problem with the planet. On the other hand you have some religious leaders telling people to have lot of offspring, again rather sad.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Australia has in recent years, had this problem of population replacement as it's population begins to age.

In 2004, Australian Politician Peter Costello was quoted as saying,

If you can have children, you should have one for your husband, one for the wife and one for the country.

A baby cash bonus was introduced as an added incentive to new mothers. The Western Australian state was paying a new mother up to $5,000 for their new children - paid in increments and only in full if the baby was fully immunised.

Article on Australia's declining birth rate

Yet four years later another article states, that while it boosted the birth rate considerably, it has failed to reach a maintaining level of 2.0.

Fertility rates still too low 2008

So I'm dubious to think that simply telling Japanese men and women to go home and procreate will raise their fertility rates. Even with a cash incentive bonus (as Australia has proved), is not going to raise the rate high enough to reach a replacement rate.

My thinking is pointing to a definite cultural/social phenomenom. However this is from an article from 2003, translated from Journal of Japanese Trade & Industry

Japan's population began to sag after the first oil crisis in the early 1970s, with the total fertility rate (the average number of children a woman bears in her lifetime) dropping below two. But changes in population are of course governed not only by births but also by deaths. The continued rise in Japanese people's life expectancy, needless to say, also contributed to population growth. However, the total fertility rate has now come down to 1.32. If the trend continues, it is estimated that Japan's population will shrink to 130,000 in 500 years and total a mere 130 in 1,000 years' time, which means that the Japanese will be virtually extinct. In order for Japan's population to hold steady among generational groups, the total fertility rate must be 2.07, assuming the current death rate remains unchanged. The current total fertility rate of 1.32 is far below that level.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join