It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the reason I fear the God of the bible: science

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Scientifically, you mention that and the bible, I'm terrified of the lot of you. It seems Science v Bible kicks everyone off. I daren't take sides.......

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bombeni
So you celebrate Christmas? 364 days a year you blaspheme God and the Son He sent to save your soul, but on His birthday, you can set all that aside, long enough to what, open the gifts? How are these atheists ever going to gain respect and be taken seriously?

What a complete and utter washout.

I guess you didn't read the last thing I said:
"So how is the 'ignoring the arguments and moving on to pointless questions which you believe will demoralize atheists', going for you?"

The game your playing is very simple and obvious.
It's also a bit annoying, because I'm here to discuss more than silly Christian assumptions.

I don't celebrate Christmas because it's "His birthday"...
I celebrate Christmas because it's a tradition.
Do you celebrate Halloween because of ghosts?

You say I "set all of that aside" on Christmas.
I'm an atheist all year long lol... I argue the points when I feel like it, but I don't change my stance on Christmas.
Just what are you getting at?
If you have any logical argument to present then do so.
As of yet, you've proved only that your good at making assumptions, which quite frankly I could have guessed.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

Then i say!!! who will SQUASH what. What source will do what you say here. It won't happen on it's own will it?
That's impossible.

How do you know it's impossible? Are you a quantum astrophysicist? You said earlier that it's impossible for something to come nothing, yet physicists know that atoms can 'appear' in a vacuum which is something from nothing.

The singularity was all matter-energy in the universe condensed into a point, but more importantly all of space-time and all the other dimensions as condensed in there as well. If it's possible for atoms to appear from nothing in space, then you condense all space into a point and continue to spawn atoms inside that point, then of course it's going to produce a rapid expansion (big-bang) without a creator.

Have can time create it self?

"How?" When a singularity expands into an area with no dimensions, time begins. It's source IS the singularity.

Have can Matter create it self?

If you have space-time (or an area with dimensions) matter will self generate.

What could make energy if it is Eternal or infinite!

This is the same argument you use to support God. "Perhaps it exists outside of time and has no begining or end." You run into the same problems that matter and energy does.

[edit on 19/12/2008 by Good Wolf]

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grandma
TruthParadox:

You say that "hell" is a myth. Then why worry about it. If it is not real, then nothing else matters anyway, right. Why, keep on debating the fact if God exists or not. If hell is a myth, then you will not be punished. Or is there a small part of you that is not all that sure, just maybe, thses Jesus people are right. Then "what if?"

I've explained several times in this thread alone why I debate this.
If Zeus was as popular as God is, and I could discredit him just as easily as God, then I would be talking about that now.
If any part of me felt that God existed (as you say), then I would be honest with myself and search it out - that's exactly how I became an atheist.
But many people on here aren't interested in being honest with themselves at all. They'll gladly ignore the contradictions and inconsistencies just to continue the faith...
The difference is that I know that when the truth becomes available, those who are honest with themselves will be the first to learn it.

If you have any real arguments to present, I'll be waiting.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Grandma

You say that "hell" is a myth. Then why worry about it. If it is not real, then nothing else matters anyway, right. Why, keep on debating the fact if God exists or not. If hell is a myth, then you will not be punished. Or is there a small part of you that is not all that sure, just maybe, thses Jesus people are right. Then "what if?"

More REAL things matter like social obligation, consequences of law and the greatest of all, the moral and categorical imperative.

Merry Christmas (you do believe in Christmas don't you?)

You mean the pagan winter solstice that the christians hijacked? You mean that one? Yea I believe in it.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Good Wolf

Good Wolf:

I must see from your posts that other things must not matter all that much. You always seem ready to bash God in every thread you can.

Again, I say to you, if you really do not believe, then it really should not be of importance to you what Christians do believe. If we believe in a myth, so be it, it is our choice as it is yours not to. BUT ONE OF US IS RIGHT!

So, again, it comes down to the "what if" game.

I do wish you a Merry Christmas

Peace,
Grandma

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Grandma

Good Wolf:

I must see from your posts that other things must not matter all that much. You always seem ready to bash God in every thread you can.

Hardly. Just those that actually have something to do with faith, and even then I'm not bashing God, I don't believe he exists. I criticise the belief in God.

Again, I say to you, if you really do not believe, then it really should not be of importance to you what Christians do believe. If we believe in a myth, so be it, it is our choice as it is yours not to. BUT ONE OF US IS RIGHT!

So, again, it comes down to the "what if" game.

I thoroughly enjoy debating this stuff is all. Throughing logic and at a belief that works on no evidence (look up the definition of the word faith) is funny some times.

"One us is right!"

Really? Neither of us could be right you know. But if we are here to work out which is right, it's pretty silly to just "believe" without evidence in something, as opposed to using the scientific method to decern facts from belief.

[edit on 19/12/2008 by Good Wolf]

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Why do people debate if aliens are real?
If 911 was an inside job?
If Bush is evil or just stupid?

It's just a discussion.
I don't care if you believe in God, I'm just discussing why it's illogical.
Want a shock? I think that Christianity is great for some people - it helps them cope with life.
But the one thing that helps me cope with life is being honest with myself in an attempt to find the truth rather than a comfortable lie.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Good Wolf

Hardly. Just those that actually have something to do with faith, and even then I'm not bashing God,

Why bash anybody ? Does it make you feel better ? You know whats said about people who ridicule others don't you ?

I don't believe he exists.

Prove he doesn't

I criticise the belief in God.

People criticise what they don't understand

I thoroughly enjoy debating this stuff is all.

No.....you enjoy thinking your right, which is questionable at best.

Throughing logic and at a belief that works on no evidence (look up the definition of the word faith) is funny some times.

Making fun of people's of faith again ?

Really? Neither of us could be right you know.

Grandma could be right, you know

But if we are here to work out which is right, it's pretty silly to just "believe" without evidence in something, as opposed to using the scientific method to decern facts from belief.

Evidence is evidence, nothing more. Evidence is not conclusive. Evidence is not fact

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthParadox

You failed to answer:

BUT ONE OF US US RIGHT

Debate that for a while

Peace

Grandma

Merry Christmas!!!!

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Annon Omas

Annon Omas:

Thank you for your support with my post to Good Wolf. I appreciate it very much. I hope you have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Peace

Grandma

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Grandma

Tell me, how does one debate such a thing....

BUT ONE OF US IS RIGHT

Can you prove that you are right?

LV

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Annon Omas

Hello Annon Omas,

I would like to quote something you said in reply to Good Wolf.

"No.....you enjoy thinking your right, which is questionable at best."

How is his sharing his thoughts on the matter any different then a religious believer sharing what they think is right also. How is what Grandma says and what Good Wolf says...any different from each other. Arent they both thinking they are right? Are you not choosing a side, by stating that it is only Good wolf who is here because he gets kicks out of thinking he is right...and that Grandma is more right because you side with her thinking?

Just thoughts,
LV

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
It makes me laugh the secret to finding god is your own energy take a guess what that might be hmmm....

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   

You failed to answer:

BUT ONE OF US US RIGHT

Debate that for a while

Well, obviously I believe I'm right and you believe you're right, so I don't know what there is to debate except the arguments myself and others have presented.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthParadox

TruthParadox:

My way: the love of God
the fellowship with God
hope in eternal life

Your way: the love of man
the fellowship with yourself
no hope of eternal savation

I think I like my way better

Peace,
Grandma

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   

TruthParadox:

My way: the love of God
the fellowship with God
hope in eternal life

Your way: the love of man
the fellowship with yourself
no hope of eternal savation

Ok, well as long as we're doing this...

My way: being honest with myself
seeking knowledge
spreading logic rather than assumptions

Your way: willing to believe in a comfortable lie
seeking only what agrees with your faith
spreading assumptions rather than logic

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Grandma

Haha, stoped by TP. His post demostrates that what you said is only correct on a single assumption, and nothing else, that you are right. It has no merit and as such, is ultimately pointless.

Whats more is that your making it seem that God is real and is obvious os we must be not believing in him because we don't like him for some reason. I and others have explained that we'd be happier if we bought it. It's a more comfortable idea and would love for it to be true but the evidence (mainly the bible) and all that doesn't have what is needed for us. At this time if we were to believe with whats there now, we would feel that we are deceiving ourselves.

[edit on 20/12/2008 by Good Wolf]

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Jesus is cool....i like how he's gonna come back and kick everybodys azz.....FEEL THE WRATH!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthParadox

You failed to answer:

BUT ONE OF US US RIGHT

Debate that for a while

Well, obviously I believe I'm right and you believe you're right, so I don't know what there is to debate except the arguments myself and others have presented.

Tell me something that you haven't gotten from Google.

Prove to me that you can think on your own. Prove to me that you have at least some common sense.

Because i bag to differ that you dont know what your denying.

Tell me what is the truth about everything. Where dose everything come from.

Do you dare to tell us. Or are you to scared to be denied. Or that your are wrong.

Please Go a head tell me. From the beginning.

Tell me is there any difference between Creation,evolution and science.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join