It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking News: Canadian Government to Fall, Liberal and NDP Parties Negotiating Coalition Government

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by matth
I think Dr. Dhalla, Rona Ambrose, and a returning Belinda Stronach should form a CGMC, known in elite Ottawa circles as a Coalition Government of Milfs and Cougars.

Doesn't work for me. I'm older than all of them. Hey, this is "age prejudice".

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

Some of the jury duty would attend to meet with foreign leaders. And some would not. But I have no need to see a political head at any party. I want to see citizens. Think tanks can be hired, economists can be hired. New things can be tried. Most of all, without proportional democracy, you're just voting in a king.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by matth
I think Dr. Dhalla, Rona Ambrose, and a returning Belinda Stronach should form a CGMC, known in elite Ottawa circles as a Coalition Government of Milfs and Cougars.

Doesn't work for me. I'm older than all of them. Hey, this is "age prejudice".

Hahaha that my friend is the quote of the week.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq
reply to post by Rook1545

Some of the jury duty would attend to meet with foreign leaders. And some would not. But I have no need to see a political head at any party. I want to see citizens. Think tanks can be hired, economists can be hired. New things can be tried. Most of all, without proportional democracy, you're just voting in a king.

Yes, but you are forgetting my point that people will always be open to manipulation and control so long as ALL of society chooses not to be well-informed. Therefore, your plan will have the exact same faults and problems as any other form of democracy, and like all other forms of democracy, it would start out good until the powerful finds a way to manipulate and control it to their interests. I understand the reasoning behind a Jury type of democratic government, but it would be just as doomed as our current democracy, maybe even worse.

The old saying, "the road to hell was paved with good intentions" immediately comes to mind here.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
The problem we have right now is that a "regional" party is the swing vote. The Bloc. They have no issues outside of Quebec. Why should they have the control of the whole country? Yes, the NDP started this way as well but they weren't just a one province party. Has the Bloc even tried to run outside of Quebec?

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
The problem we have right now is that a "regional" party is the swing vote. The Bloc. They have no issues outside of Quebec. Why should they have the control of the whole country? Yes, the NDP started this way as well but they weren't just a one province party. Has the Bloc even tried to run outside of Quebec?

Funny you should mention that. Alot of Albertans think they should run people here. We would all vote for them so that they could fulfill their promise and just leave.

As for the jury thing, again, it is completely illogical. You could never have enough spots to completely represent everyone in the country. You might as well have everyone in the country on it. But there is nothing stopping you as a citizen from running for office. Alot of people do it.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Hahah you know what, i have come to the conclusion that it really doesnt matter who is PM up here anymore. Basically we always get the short end of the stick anyways.

Bottom line under ALL parties rule we have faced the same problems over and over, our small towns are crumbling and losing industry, our crime rates are skyrocketing, immigrants are treated like royalty compared to those who were born here, ontario still doesnt get along with quebec, we continue to bloww money on ideas that dont work (gun registry), our politicians openly steal from the taxpayer, and our post secondary tuition costs are rising.

We simply have too many problems to fix. We need a new party in Canada, bottom line.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I just want to know when is Quebec going to secede? That way we here in the states can get the ball rolling to remove or own states from the Beast that has been created under the Federal Government.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by shai hulud

There is enough tension between ontario and quebec that if an english speaking ontarian were to sucessfully carry out a terror attack on quebec, im talking roughly 100 dead, it would be enough to get the ball rolling im sure.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

I have always been fascinated by the Quebec secessionist movement because of the sentiment that is growing down here in the South and the Midwest. I remember when I was younger when they voted on it and it failed, I was heartened that the possibility still exists of creating new nation states in North America.

I must admit, I do not keep up with Canadian politics per se(it's stressful enough keeping up with it in my own country), nor am I loyal to any faction in Canada, but what is going on up there is very telling of people's sentiments for a new angle on governing.

Well, I do have a little loyalty for the French for the help the Confederate States received from them, but that was not Quebec.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by matth

Hi Fellow citizen !!!!!

It's all a smoke screen created by Harper.

Since the Tories has money and others don't, They want to cut public funding for political parties. That is a vicious treat to existence of opposition and democracy in Canada, if we don't want our system to become like US were funding is somehow a shame.

So Harper made the opposition so upset with his economical update
There is no other choice to back up on this, or a coalition government, or elections.

OR.

That's is getting more interresting !!!

The Tories remove the controversial amendement for political funding, and everyone is happy, no more crisis, right ?

The rest of the measures announced by Jim Flaherty pass.

But.

Mid-Octobre, Canadian Housing corporation gave 25 billions to banks in order to buy bad mortage assets.

A week later, The federal gov. gave 50 billions to buy bad mortgage assets from banks.

Jim Flaherty announced yesterday, he will sell real estate properties in order to balance the budget.........

DOES THAT MEAN :

Banks buy back assets at market price, they previously gave away at full mortgage price.

IF SO.

It is only a smoke screen to cover up a 75 billions gift to bankers, that finance so well the party in power in Ottawa.

Am I wrong !

The Sep with Duceppe !

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by shai hulud

We Canadians have been growing tired of our politicians for years. It is safe to say that we havent had a good prime minister in decades. Canadian politicians dont even seem to make an honest effort to even move on any issue or to correct any problems that we face in this country. Each party preaches a different set of promises and change yet when they take office there is no difference as to who was even elected as all parties either seem to take us to the cleaners or take the same inactive, stagnant stance on all major issues. In the end we end up paying billions in tax money for failed projects and lose many more billions in a crumbling, chaotic infrastructure that is poorly managed and often corrupt.

Here we are, a nation that has so much potential to become leaders in sustainability, educational system reform, and to create a world class healthcare system, and yet we throw it all away for the same empty promises and useless political parties.

I would surely welcome a restructuring the reform of our political parties and our current political system.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Just goes to show that the Liberals really don't give a damn about Canada. They only worship power.

They couldn't win in the last election some 6 weeks ago. In fact, they lost seats. They ran on an anti NDP platform, saying that the NDP policies would be terrible for the economy.

But now, they want to make a coalition with the party they put down just a few weeks ago.

The Liberals have worked against the people of Canada for decades.

Remember, it was the Liberals that refused to let the "Lost Canadians" regain their citizenship (that should never have been stripped away from them in the first place. Most of those "Lost Canadians" were people that were born in US hospitals, because they were closer to their homes than a Canadian hospital. But the Liberals didn't give a damn about the fact that some 200,000 + people had lost their citizenship.

it was the Liberals that held fast to a policy that stripped all Indian women of their status as Indians if they married a non-Indian. It is the Liberals that deny all Indian tribes and bands the right to determine for themselves who is and who is not an Indian.

It is the Liberals that have subsidized the immigration of hundreds of thousands of people than can not speak English or French; have no concept of living in a democratic society, and the Liberals want to bring in millions more of those people.

Now they want to circumvent a national election by a "back room deal"?

I will never support any Canadian government that is put together by such a shabby deal.

I guess the supporters of this coup don't believe in elections, do they?

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by OldMedic

But really why do we have elections in Canada. Our electoral system is conveniently set up to only allow a Liberal or Conservative victory, despite the fact that the popular vote might be taken by say the NDP or the Green party. Basically our election choices are as follows: Corrupt party #1 or Corrupt part #2. What is the difference? Our premieres are no different, and outside of the big cities the municipals govts hands are so tied that no issue can ever be resolved.

We Canadians are essentially held hostage by our outdated political system.

[edit on 08/11/28 by metaldemon2000]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by matth

I admit I know not much of Canada or her government. Just that every Country in the world, even the US has at one point or another tried to invade her to no success. I know the Royal Canadian Mounted Police are superior to modern armies in utilizing her natural environment for attack/ defence. And I know of her natural dead zone where electronic signals cannot work analog or digital, and would very much fear who controlled or conduct private meetings there. As for her government/ businesses, I bank it's as corrupt and perhaps openly or secretly resented by those it's governs as any other government/ businesses public or private the World over. That it is undergoing a change, is perhaps indicitive of the seeming overall resentment of those in control, however they amassed their power. As for which individual or entity is best to allow at the helm, let's say political leaders and the like, I find it interesting the amount of time, manpower, and resources we seem to pour into debating those who are obviously two sides of the same coin, and focus little on the overall coin itself,=. As with the pharmacist vs. the apothecary, we focus on the symptom and not the cause.
My 2 cents

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I don't recall ever hearing that if things were done faster that it was always the correct way.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Thats not a saying I have ever agreed with. The road to hell is greed, power mongering, dictatorship and misuse of public trust. People really need to roll up their sleeves and get this system back into their grass roots hands ASAP.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Read this carefully.

Each party gets $1.95 per vote received. What is important to understand which the media has so eloquently forgotten to mention is that this funding isn't a one time thing but is provided for each year to all the partys until the next election and then htose funds are redistributed according to the new voter percentages.

What is really interesting are the percentages this money make up in the total monies the individual partys receive in capital funding to operate. You also have to remember that these Partys can raise money privately.

Conservatives 33%, Liberals 68%, NDP 56%, Bloc 98%, Green 55%.

The Plus to eliminating this subsidy from tax payers pockets is quite obvious. Eliminating this subsidy, the tax payers will save $30 million dollars per year, forever. Hmmmmm..........
The Sepratist party which IMO has no right in the first place to sit at a Federalist Table would either have to fold due to lack of private funding our get their act together and get that private funding. That goes the same for the rest of them. Evidently here in Canada a coalition with a SEPRATIST PARTY in tow is more pallatable than allowing a party that is willing to forgo its federal subsidy, make a go on its own and wait until our Nieghbours down south solidify their policies concerning their economy.

Really people SEPRATIST ie: BLOC means LEAVE Canada

What I also find quite disturbing is how small minded people really are concerning the outcome of such a colition. Party partisanship seems to take the priority. A MAJORITY THAT CAN DO ANYTHING IT WANTS!!!!! with SEPRATISTS. Is that what Canadians want?

These partys are already blaming the Cons for a deficit but get a load out of this. They wnat to impliment Stimulas packages worth BILIONS of DOLLARS, money we don't have. Where are they going to get billions of $$$$$$$$? Simple RAISE TAXES! Not only for individuals but corporations too. Which includes any type of small business with Corporation on it's name. Or you can introduce new taxes like a CARBON TAX. Yippee!

Think it out people and if you don't agree with whats going on talk to your MP and let them KNOW!

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by matth

The thing with Canadian politics is that the "worst" parties are only slightly worse than the ones they are being compared to.

[edit on 28-11-2008 by cognoscente]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
As a canadian I can't stress how great this is. That religious-zealot-sellout harper has to go.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join