It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Planets May Be Seeded With Life

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Most Planets May Be Seeded With Life

sciencenow.sciencemag.org

Astronomers have detected a building block of RNA floating within the hot, compact core of a massive star-forming region in the Milky Way. The molecule appears to have formed with all of the other stuff that makes up planets, suggesting that many other worlds are seeded with some of life's ingredients right from birth.

Two of the greatest questions of existence--Are we alone? and How did we get here?--remain unanswered. Clues keep coming, and they are tantalizing. Over the past decade, astronomers have detected organic molecules inside meteorites and even in space (ScienceNOW, 28 March). But these latter substances have not been found in the clouds of dust and gas around new stars that can form planets, making their link to life tenuous.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 28-11-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
This could mean that MOST if not ALL star systems and galaxies carry the building blocks for basic life and that even upon the birth of a planet, it may contain the basic ingredients that would allow life to flourish if the conditions become right.

Could this mean that extra terrestrial life is now undeniable? If the basic building blocks of life are the same in deep space as it is on earth, does this mean that we could even find planets that are almost carbon copies of earth? With the same trees and insects?

This is definitely a thought provoking discovery, and I look forward to reading opinions and comments on this article.

(Mods: please move my post if it is in the wrong sub-forum. I did a search and could not find a similar article so I believe it isn't a duplicate, apologies if I am wrong, thanks)

sciencenow.sciencemag.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 28-11-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Great find!

It always makes me laugh when I hear someone say that there is no way there is any other life out there somewhere. With the number of planets that are out there it's practically a certainty that there are many planets that do or did support life, the only problem is that it may not be in the forms we would expect.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
Great find!

It always makes me laugh when I hear someone say that there is no way there is any other life out there somewhere. With the number of planets that are out there it's practically a certainty that there are many planets that do or did support life, the only problem is that it may not be in the forms we would expect.

Agreed and this could mean that perhaps something like common "Grass" could be found in an identical or slightly different form on other planets with similar soils.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Of course life exists "out there" and "in there".

Life is everywhere.......we have single cell creatures who can survive in space.

Good thread.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Could we say that even planets and stars are a form of life, even the whole universe?

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Life = organism = ability to grow and reproduce.

You could say the stars and planets and universe have a consciousness, but are not life.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reddupo

You could say the stars and planets and universe have a consciousness, but are not life.

Yeah, your right. But they do seem to have their own way of being, they are born, they move, and they follow certain patterns/design. But yes they are not what we would call alive.

[edit on 28-11-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
You are right! if we are the only ones on this planet lo that makes me cringe,it would be illegal to kill each other if we was that rare surely???

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by hurculee
You are right! if we are the only ones on this planet lo that makes me cringe,it would be illegal to kill each other if we was that rare surely???

Isn't it illegal already?

Haha I know what you mean thou.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Yhea nice - but one fact remains, unless this life is on any of the planets / moons we can reach... and the only planets / moons we CAN reach are the ones in our solar system... and nearly every one is so completely different to Earth that setting foot on them is not really an option. Then were never going to get to meet this life

That is unless something dramatically changes in our understanding of the universe (worm holes for instance) - or our ideas of propulsion leap past the chemical rut we love so much, or of course said life is able (and willing) to cross the void under their own steam, and if they are capable we would have to ask why they are willing - I'm gonna bet my brains look pretty tasty, pillaging global resources is hungry work you know.

Sorry for the pessimistic outlok

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
Yhea nice - but one fact remains, unless this life is on any of the planets / moons we can reach... and the only planets / moons we CAN reach are the ones in our solar system... and nearly every one is so completely different to Earth that setting foot on them is not really an option. Then were never going to get to meet this life

That is unless something dramatically changes in our understanding of the universe (worm holes for instance) - or our ideas of propulsion leap past the chemical rut we love so much, or of course said life is able (and willing) to cross the void under their own steam, and if they are capable we would have to ask why they are willing - I'm gonna bet my brains look pretty tasty, pillaging global resources is hungry work you know.

Sorry for the pessimistic outlok

Yes your right, even light speed is slow compared to the size of our universe.

We definitely need to find new technology that improves travel to light speed or faster if that's ever possible. That would be amazing.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I think long distance travel wont involve traveling at all,like going from a to z without passing the other letters...teleportation to any point instantly.I dont think propulsion is the way to go.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Teleportation sounds like a dream come true, many people haven mentioned this as the best way to travel in space if it were possible, but nobody knows if it's really possible.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
reply to post by Solomons

Teleportation sounds like a dream come true, many people haven mentioned this as the best was to travel in space if it were possible, but nobody knows if it's really possible.

I read some person say it on ATS today and its a thought i have had before,with the string theory and the strings of energy inside the atom vibrating at certain frequencies to differentiate between things...all atoms are the same really except the frequency they vibrate which makes things different..And i also heard that all atoms are linked to a singularity when the big bang happened...so all atoms are linked...and i dont know where im going with this..
Please dont quote me on that im most definetly not a physicist and im more than likely wrong about some aspects of my theory...but i like it.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
A phone call every now and again wouldn't hurt
just to see how our little extra terrestrial amigos are doing - think that's the most plausible contact were gonna see in our life times.

They grow grow up - they become technically capable... But do they ever call? (try reading that last bit in a Jewish mother accent for full effect)

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Spot on.

I like your avatar btw, is it an Alex Grey painting?

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   

not to be the sole voice of opposition but instantly when reading this i disagreed

in my eyes it seems egotistical on the behalf of the human race to think we understand life organisms or the ability to grow and reproduce

right now we only understand things on the small level that we live in

the universe is very old, older then a human in my eyes can truly comprehend

i think to doubt that there is life somewhere else in this universe is very egotistical considering the small amount of things that we do know, so in my mind, maybe we haven't contacted them yet but we should all know the truth and that is that there is life somewhere else out there

and we dont truly know that our earth or the moon or sun or jupiter (etc) are not alive

we kind of know how planets and stars form, but who are we to say that they are not alive

we cant fully communicate with animals yet we know they are alive

so how do we know the earth doest have a conscious

how do we know that it doesnt grow and reproduce?

just because it doesnt follow our conventional theory of life or reproduction does not mean its not happening on a level that we dont yet understand

for all we know our whole universe is alive, and has been born and died over and over many times and possibly many more times

there is still a overwhelmingly vast amount of information still to be learned

scientists estimate we still have 95 percent of the ocean to discover

with that fact alone we cant begin to say whats alive and whats not

i mean just the fact that this rna was found where it was goes to show that we understand so very little

great find and truly a great thread that i look forward to seeing develop thank you op

[edit on 28-11-2008 by Dramey]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Nice Find

I wouldn't mind going to another planet, being as i'm getting tired of this one

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
"Astronomers have detected a building block of RNA floating within the hot, compact core of a massive star-forming region in the Milky Way"

Does anyone not question anything anymore? This is the stupidest load I've ever heard...

Now NASA can "see" into the center of other suns?

We can't even see into the center of our own.

DUH! Friggin' Americans will say anything. RNA detected light years away in "star-forming region" I doubt it....

[edit on 28-11-2008 by Canadianduder]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join