It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deadly Chemicals in Cotton

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Deadly Chemicals in Cotton

www.ejfoundation.org

The Deadly Chemicals in Cotton - new report exposes the human health and environmental cost of pesticide use in global cotton production.

As the fashion industry gets together to celebrate future fashion, The Deadly Chemicals in Cotton, a new report by the Environmental Justice Foundation, in collaboration with the Pesticide Action Network UK, reveals the routine use of harmful chemicals, including nerve agents and neurotoxins, on cotton crops.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
This .pdf file downloaded via the EJF website, truely is a must read for anyone who claims to care for the Enviroment or Humanity.
By far one of the more comprehensive reports about the profit focused, multinational corps and their quest for global control at all costs.

Please take the time to download and read the report.
Then send it on to a friend or two.

We the Consumers have the ability to put an end to all this contamination. Its time we all started voting with out feet or wallets in this case.

Stop buying the crap!

www.ejfoundation.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   
You do know that cotton is cleaned before making cloth, then bleached, then depending on final application dyed/printed and sold.

Here is a link
www.cotton.org...

By the way, I read you link. It seems to be pushing organic cotton. I fail to see how chemicals applied in the field to increase crop yield would not be removed in processing.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Velvet Death

you do realise that the processes you mention usually involve the further adding of harmful chemicals?

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Velvet Death

and by the way,

its not the consumer im so concerned for.
its the poor people misled into believing this stuff is safe to be using.
and the children that play in the surrounding feilds...

you didnt even visit the link did you?
( the link perhaps, but not the .pdf )

[edit on 28/11/2008 by Zeus187]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Who cares???
With everything else going on in our world/country/communities....is this cotton issue important?
NOPE

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   
A lot of the commercial cotton grown uses a lot of pesticides to increase yield. another reason to go back to growing commercial hemp, which doesn't need all the nasties. There again, the big cotton growing cartels receive big government handouts and the chemical companies make a killing too, so I won't hold my breath waiting for change.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I live in the middle of cotton country and you wouldn't believe the crap they spray every year. I grew up on a cotton farm in the era before the use of chemicals, back when most cotton was picked by hand. My brother and I played in cotton fields where the cotton was sometimes six feet tall.
Now, I won't even go into a cotton field, even though I live next to one.
My area of the country has one of the highest rates of liver and pancreatic cancer in the United States. I believe this is related to the chemicals that are being sprayed from the air by crop dusters.
I know that cotton is washed and bleached, but don't think that washing and bleaching removes these chemicals. It is quite possibel that that this process (adding bleach and other chemicals) actually causes chemical changes that produce other toxins.
But cotton, if grown naturally, is a wonderful fabric. There is nothing like it for comfort.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Let's *assume* that through processing, and washing our cotton clothes, the chemicals are removed. (Hope so, 'cause I'm wearing non-organic cotton right now).

But - such an assumption being correct would not justify the routine use of hazardous chemicals in the field - if you think they get removed during processing, where do you think they end up? Even if there is some bio-degradation, some remain. Multiply that by the vast quantities used, and you've got a problem, in the air, in worker's lungs and brains, in the water, in the ground.

It's like trying to justify massive pesticide/herbicide/fungicide/fumigant use on vegetables because the consumer can wash (some) of it off at home. Again, where does the rest of it go? For the answer, see above.

Cotton can be grown organically. Vegetables can be grown organically. Cotton, vegetables, all other fiber and foodstuffs can be grown organically. They were for countless years before greed and stupidity led to the most un-green "green revolution", unfair distribution, and earth-destroying policies which make up the way much of the world's food is grown today.

At the risk of sounding cliché, it's time we went back to our roots to grow food and fiber. We understand how to do it correctly better than ever before - there's really no excuse not to do it.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I live in New Zealand, and i find it disgusting how dependant on off shore produce we have became of late.

We have plenty of sheep here and produce some of the (if not the) finest wools in the world.

And yet due to our foolish lust for cheaper items, we have became dependant on the import export market. Shipping off our good wool, and importing the crap cottons....

at the expense of the enviroment, and our fellow man...

Take a look around you, its absurd, the creature we have become.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
It is disgusting how reliant we have become, not only on overseas produce but also on the government, who of course push these deals through.

Might have to get a some cotton cranking out on the farm also......

top topics

join