It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help, can't concentrate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Hi one and all. This is my first post. I wish to ask for some help. I have been trying for a while now to get in touch with my inner self but find it very hard to get beyond what I would call the everyday noise in my head. Every since I was a kid I have struggled with a short attention span but now I'm sick.

I've been reading a few post recently, most interesting to me: -

Some Experiences in my Consciousness II - Parallel Realities
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I would like your advice on what helps to get to the stage where one can interact on a more spiritual level!? Any useful links would be welcomed.

Hope this makes sense as I have never been very good at explaining one self, I do believe this is down to something at the moment I can't control because I haven't been taught how to control it. If someone would be so kind to give me some pointers so to speak.

Thanks for reading.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Okay, you will hear lots of advice on distancing yourself from the mass media (television, etc), fluoride in the water, etc.

I have another piece of advice for you to consider:

Go Camping.

Take a few days, get away from society a little, place yourself close to nature. See how it feels.

I happen to have it bookmarked, so here's a link to Walden, by Henry David Thoreau, that you might find interesting.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

OMG!!!!

touche man...you hit the nail on the head.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Hey, man.

Totally dig the idea of "getting the eff away and camping. Sounds to me like you are a fairly young man and are too "immersed".

Sit, bro...just sits.

Take a friggin' egg timer and set it for two minutes and lie down/sit/stand/whatever works for you and...just be.

Ain't no wrong, just...sit and think, oh and breathe, of course!

Let your thoughts cascade, agitate, whatever...breathe.

Two minutes, man.

Try that for a week.

two minutes, breathe, think.

It might make a difference.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I am no meditation Guru by a long shot, but I find that pouring all of my concentration into the sound and mechanics of my breathing allows me to distance myself somewhat. I've always been told to empty mind of all thought, which never seemed to work, it's like asking someone not to think of a pink elephant. Instead -- total singular concentration, for me, seems to work.

I have never been enlightened or had visions of any kind, beyond semi-lucid day-dreaming which I won't attempt to quantify.

[edit on 28-11-2008 by Oscitate]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Thank you for this, I love camping, but in the UK this time of year the weather is freezing, ha. Will definitely read that link you gave me, cheers.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by fringe

Hey, try focussing on your breath, your body. Keep your focus there for as long as you can.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Pray for humility and seek wisdom from God, ask Him for guidance and He will guide you.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jim Scott
Pray for humility and seek wisdom from God, ask Him for guidance and He will guide you.

or you can choose not to ask help from a non existant fairy story character and just focus on yourself. just lock your door sit on the floor and think. let your mind wander eventually the outside noise will fade out and you will be left alone with yourself. let your mind explore all corners of your consciousness just zone completely out. do it a couple times a week.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I vote vinpocetine, choline, DMAE you can get the last two in the (some) grocery stores, like made by Twinlabs, or all 3 from Vitamin Research Products...I'd give the link but I don't want to be accused of selling a product when I'm merely a satisfied customer responding to your request for help with a sincere suggestion, good luck...seriously, the vinpocetine, it may surprise you, but if you take too much it works less well...one or two capsules...alrighty then...

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   
You mention fluoride in the water, what can I drink in it's place?

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean
I have another piece of advice for you to consider:

Go Camping.

Take a few days, get away from society a little, place yourself close to nature. See how it feels.

Perfect advice. Thank you Ian for simplifying the whole thing.

I have found that you do not have to follow structures, rules or guidelines in order to go within.

I tend to "follow my bliss". Maybe your bliss is playing chess, working on your car or motorcycle, camping, I don't know...

Follow your bliss. Do that thing which quiets your mind and allows you to hear what you have to say.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Have a cup of Kuzu (Kudzu) root tea. This helps calm the nerves and lets you relax and meditate and improves your concentration. Some of these other things help as well. Go outdoors to a quiet spot, whatever makes you comfortable.

top topics

join