It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senior Tory arrested over leaks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Senior Tory arrested over leaks

news.bbc.co.uk

Conservative leader David Cameron has criticised the decision by police to arrest his immigration minister in connection with Home Office leaks.

He said: "He was arrested for making public information that the government didn't want to be made public."

Police say Mr Green was held on suspicion of "conspiring to commit misconduct in a public office".

"I emphatically deny I have done anything wrong. I have many times made public information that the government wanted to keep secret"
(visit the link for the full news article)

MOD Edit: Review this Link: Breaking Alternative News Guidelines

[edit on 11/28/2008 by semperfortis]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   
When the ruling party begins arresting members of the opposition party on such flimsy grounds as "conspiring to commit misconduct in a public office" for "making public information that the government didn't want to be made public" despite that the MP believes the public have a "right to know", it is the beginning of the end.

It starts here, I am certain.

news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Yes, this is but the beginning of sorrows in this messed up world............

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Its all entertainment,Conservatives will continue the agenda when they get into office.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
Its all entertainment,Conservatives will continue the agenda when they get into office.

I'm really not so sure, this is a bit of a devisive issue. You can't attack the opposition party for releasing information on your mistakes.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons

That's one of the most annoying things about tit-for-tat politics. Each party loves to cry 'foul' whenever they can, but when they eventually return to office, rarely do they undo much of what they previously thought was so outrageous and wrong.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth

When the ruling party begins arresting members of the opposition party on such flimsy grounds as "conspiring to commit misconduct in a public office" for "making public information that the government didn't want to be made public" despite that the MP believes the public have a "right to know", it is the beginning of the end.

It starts here, I am certain.

news.bbc.co.uk

If this was a case of 'whistle blowing' relating to government failures on immigration policy, I would agree with you. However, it appears that e-mails between ministers of a trivial nature, unrelated to major issues, were also 'leaked', suggesting a more partisan party political motive. Any way lets see what emerges over the next 24 hours.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I would think that whether the information is to be disclosed or not is relative to the impact on the public. Some things must be withheld to keep the public from stampeding in a blind panic over information they don't understand the context of. Example would be that earth is a farm and aliens take people randomly for food and pets. People would go nuts, violence would break out, society would collapse and aliens would still take people randomly for food and pets. Keep the information secret, maintain a semblance of society and hope you die before your turn comes.

While political one-upmanship is a fun game to play if you don't punish the little leaks they may lead to the dam bursting.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   

making public information that the government didn't want to be made public" despite that the MP believes the public have a "right to know"

It is that part there that is wrong .. "despite that the MP believes the public have a "right to know"" . You can't have any politician just disclosing information as and when just because , in their estimation , the public have a 'right to know' . Where do you set the limits on this kind of behaviour , how do you quantify such subjective criteria for disclosure based on some arbitary judgement by someone who just thinks it is ok to tell all because it's ok by him/ her . Got to have rules about this kind of thing , and if they broke those rules..then punish them forthwith.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Did you even read the article?

* The November 2007 revelation that the home secretary knew the Security Industry Authority had granted licences to 5,000 illegal workers, but decided not to publicise it.
* The February 2008 news that an illegal immigrant had been employed as a cleaner in the House of Commons.
* A whips' list of potential Labour rebels in the vote on plans to increase the pre-charge terror detention limit to 42 days.
* A letter from the home secretary warning that a recession could lead to a rise in crime.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by The Last Man on Earth

And we have subsequently heard that an e-mail from the a Home Office minister pointing out that crime levels were likely to rise during a recession was also leaked. Now, this is of course a restatement of a historical fact. Property crime does increase during times of economic hardship. Was this whistle blowing? No.Were the public being deprived of vital information. No. Was this leaked and splashed across The Daily Mail to secure a party political advantage. Possibly.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Another step towards totalitarianism - arbitrary arrest of opposition figures.

Bravo Gordon, you're slowing returning from Mr Bean to Stalin!

Whats next I wonder- CCTVs inside everyone's houses surely? Maybe the killing of intelligensia? Oh wait thats already occuring by dumbing down standards of education...

Being Winston Smith is a losing strategy. Time to join the inner party I think.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fang

And we have subsequently heard that an e-mail from the a Home Office minister pointing out that crime levels were likely to rise during a recession was also leaked. Now, this is of course a restatement of a historical fact. Property crime does increase during times of economic hardship. Was this whistle blowing? No.Were the public being deprived of vital information. No. Was this leaked and splashed across The Daily Mail to secure a party political advantage. Possibly.

I hate to say this, but so freaking what? Did you read my last post?

Labour are arresting people who are revealing their illegal activities, in an obvious attempt to cover it up.

The Tories are flabbergastered, as should anyone else be.

44soulslayer - I agree completely.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Labour are arresting people who are revealing their illegal activities, in an obvious attempt to cover it up.

I think it's entirely possible that Gordon Brown wasn't aware of it before it happened (as he claimed). But that wouldn't make things much better. If he's presiding over a state which is carrying out arrests of this kind as a matter of course, he's guilty as hell of allowing that state of affairs to come about.

Extraordinary timing as well - can it be a coincidence? Labour have a track record of "burying" bad news, seems funny that this should happen during the events in Mumbai to me...

LW

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fang

What illegal activities were disclosed by these leaks? Incompetence maybe, illegality, no. Sir David Normington, principle Sec., at the Home Office has said he called in the Police without prior consultation with Ministers. So calm down.

[edit on 07/21/06 by Fang]

top topics

join