It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Collecting long term food storage....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Where do you buy your MRE's? Looks like lots of dealers but shipping charges and selection vary radically.

Mods .... is this allowed? Sources of supply is a big part of survival preps.....

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Why MRE's? The ones I've had tasted like butt and they're really expensive.

Well-stored grains, beans, powdered milk, honey, etc., will last longer and taste better.

I've heard some folks say that the newer MREs taste better, but I don't know if that's saying much...

Anyway, the only circumstances where I see MREs as an attractive option involve low-water environments, or a break-in period where you need to get a well going, something like that. Traditional foods require a lot more water to prepare, generally speaking. Much of it can be re-used for washing up, etc., but you still lose a fair bit.

So, if you plan on not stockpiling cooking fuel, and you have no access to windfall or a decent well, MREs might be a good idea. If you're planning on bugging out or holing up someplace hospitable, why bother with overpriced MREs, when good 'ol rice and beans and wheat and so forth will do the trick?

Just my $.02

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

Why MRE's? The ones I've had tasted like butt and they're really expensive.

Well-stored grains, beans, powdered milk, honey, etc., will last longer and taste better.

I've been doing a mass buildup for a few months -- equipment, receipes, #10 cans of red wheat, oatmeal, rice, pinto beans (LDS). Also grocery store canned goods.

Looking to round out the storage with a varied selection of survival bars, MRE's and any other thingd that look interesting. I was eating some WW2 crats in the 1960's. MRE's gotta be better than that.......

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
MRE's ARE better than CRATS.

However, that's like saying dry butt tastes better than moist butt.

There's been a couple of threads on ATS as to where you can get supplies. Check through the threads, you'll find what you need...

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
MREs are a helluva lot better than CRATS! I don't with those on my enamies!

i think that MREs are alright, but you can survive on othe things just as well and they will be more appealing. MREs are great for a no brainer. Good calories, easy to store and pack, easy to use. That's probobly why they are atop so many lists.

top topics

join