It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

are ugly people attracted to other ugly people?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
are ugly people attracted to other ugly people? Yup, I see no beauties with beasts and vice versa. This applies not only to the looks but the attitudes.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

OK, who needs a first class beholder. wink wink....

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
The people with the best personalities are the ones who used to be ugly, but have now lost the weight, gotten surgery, had the extra appendage removed, etc.

What happens is, they spent years having to live as an ug-lor in this world of appearances, which means they had to develop a personality and thus some type of soul.

I will confess, in my younger days, to having slept with more than one professional model. It was anti-climactic, to put it nicely. Those girls spent all their time thinking about hair, makeup, and fashion that on any other topic it was just a big void.

Sort of like if you've ever been around a champion athlete. Most of them train for many hours a day. To the point where they have no interest in politics, art, religion, humor, business or anything else. Just their own area of expertise. There are exceptions, always; but mostly not.

one trick that is increasingly popular with white american males, is to marry outside one's culture, where the other culture has a different value system---pick one where you are considered a major player, etc. And sometimes what a woman from my culture focuses on is considered irrelevent in that culture as well.

[edit on 21-12-2008 by dr_strangecraft]

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Do you mean physically ugly? Wouldn't the definition of an ugly person be a very subjective one?

I know a lot of people who are considered physically beautiful according to the standards dictated by our current society (pop culture, movies and magazines), who are in fact very self-centered, ego centric narcissists. To me that is the definition of an ugly person.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
There's lots of ugly people in the world. I consider myself hit with a couple ugly branches falling out of the ugly tree.

However, my husband loves me and my perception may not be the same as his. Get it?

Then again, I know this guy at work. Very nice guy. Not particuarly good looking, but a great attitude that makes you want to like him. He would never be a stunner, but hey, nice and kind, generous, always willing to help someone, etc. This guy could score on his attitude alone, I swear.

BUT he has a turkey timer as a belly button.

I swear to God every time that man eats something his belly button sticks out from under his shirt by at least 3 inches. Every woman who otherwise would have thought about going out with him is completely turned off because of this nasty defect. It is totally mesmerizing and I can't help but stare at it. I just love the dude, but GOD! Put some duck tape on that thing or something.

I think that if he looked all buff and cool he still wouldn't get any because of that damned belly button.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
1. I don't accept that an unattractive guy can complete a woman who is very attractive. A woman might be attracted and in love with a homely man with a great personality, however, that woman in is going to be thinking of Johnny Depp or Matt Damon when they are in bed. Don't lie if you say this is BS. I have on occasion thought of Karmen Electra (I am a guy, fyi)

2. Simply put though, why can't a person have both,
a. looks is what gets our initial attention
b. personality, morals, and chemistry is what holds us there.

P.S. I am smart. Did you notice my outline form. So don't try to dispute? Treat this post as you do your own religion. Don't question your faith.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Actually, ugliness isn't totally in the eye of the beholder. Symmetry in facial structure is a desirable trait in every culture of record.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Psychologically we do try and find a mate who looks similar to ourselves. I'm more attracted to men with dark hair rather than blonds.

I think dating based of looks is superficial, but there needs to be some physical attractiveness. If I'm not physically attracted how is the relation suppose to move forward. We lie to ourselves when we say we don't look at attractiveness we do even on a subconscious level. I like the movie the art of lying's take on dating. Its the brutally honest truth we want a mate who we are attracted to and who will give us what we need, emotionally and physically.

As a woman I admit I can be superficial but men are too. I look for a healthy looking man with dark hair and pale eyes, who is emotionally stable, and has a stable job.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Yes! .... this is spot on imo! it kinda says a lot!

As for me, I really couldn't put up with many personality clashes/flaws so the most important thing for me is the kind of person they are and if there personality grabs me! this is pretty hard for me too as i'm not a regular joe or neither am I a stereotypical man and am certainly not attractive!
.... I did get extremely lucky though even with all my awkwardness and found a Lady with both the personality to grab me and she's very beautiful too!

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xiamara
Psychologically we do try and find a mate who looks similar to ourselves. I'm more attracted to men with dark hair rather than blonds.

I think dating based of looks is superficial, but there needs to be some physical attractiveness. If I'm not physically attracted how is the relation suppose to move forward. We lie to ourselves when we say we don't look at attractiveness we do even on a subconscious level. I like the movie the art of lying's take on dating. Its the brutally honest truth we want a mate who we are attracted to and who will give us what we need, emotionally and physically.

As a woman I admit I can be superficial but men are too. I look for a healthy looking man with dark hair and pale eyes, who is emotionally stable, and has a stable job.

Yes I agree somewhat! but when you find someone that just grabs your attention constantly! and you fall completely in love with the way they are then from my own experience you start to find them attractive and looks just matter less and less, you stop picking at those little things that would bother you if you were just observing them as an art piece
.... I swear this is so true for me personally!

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by valiant

Exactly, we all have our own opinions of what beauty is and if we fall head over heels for someone you forget their shortcomings and see only the good.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xiamara
reply to post by valiant

Exactly, we all have our own opinions of what beauty is and if we fall head over heels for someone you forget their shortcomings and see only the good.

Perfectly put!

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Because you never see an ugly person with an attractive counterpart.

Yep, never see that... Oh, did you hear about Hugh Heffner being engaged to some gal like a half century his junior?

Heck "Honeymooner" shows (King of Queens, According to Jim, countless others) are almost entirely built on this premise of the young hot wife with an average Joe kind of husband....

You're not factoring in money either.

I'm sure for many, there may be some degree of "settling" in the looks department (for those who aren't shallow), but you also get older and realize that looks are fleeting, but you have to LIVE with the person's personality and who they are for much longer...and THAT is more important in the long-run.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

are ugly people attracted to other ugly people?

Yes we are we drink till shes cute
edit on 3-1-2011 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Bah.

I'm ugly as sin but I still have the gall to hit on women way, way, way out of my league. And, quite often, it works out in my favor. Thus I throw a wrench into your thesis!

~Heff

PS: Beauty, after all, is in the eye of the beer holder.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
...i've posted about these two men before but here we go again...

...they were horribly burned when they were young, leaving them disfigured - some might say grotesquely... their personalities are so vibrant and so loving that, within a few minutes of meeting them, their scars seem to just fade away... even little kids shed their fear purty quick...

...are ugly people attracted to other ugly people?... i dont know any ugly people... i know people who behave badly and are difficult to be around but that has nothing to do with their physical appearance...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join