It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

are ugly people attracted to other ugly people?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I dont want to sound rude, but there's really no nice way of asking this. Are ugly people attracted to their partners, or do they just settle for what they can get? Because you never see an ugly person with an attractive counterpart.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MCnappyweave
Because you never see an ugly person with an attractive counterpart.

This actually happens quite a bit.

Anyways, there does seem to exist a certain 'looks caste' if we want to look around at the majority of couples. People often mate and couple up with others who are within their own level of physical attractiveness. There are exceptions to every rule, of course, but it is a rule of thumb.

In most couples that would be deemed mismatched, it appears it's usually an attractive female with an average or unattractive male. I hardly ever see the opposite.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
In most couples that would be deemed mismatched, it appears it's usually an attractive female with an average or unattractive male.

I see this quite a bit.

Kinda weird imo.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
i think i am ugly but i like hot chicks.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by The Scarecrow

I think what most likely happens is this:

Men are generally more interested in physical appearances of their mate while women of course want a partner they are physically attracted to but 'hotness' isn't a top priority. We often are attracted to men based on their personality.

So a man would be pleased to be with an attractive woman in spite of character flaws while most women would not be interested in a 'hot jerk' but would instead be more attracted to an average- or even unattractive- male with the personality type she is attracted to.

Just on a personal note, I'm more attracted to men deemed average or even ugly by society because as a general rule of thumb, their hearts and character are so much better than the 'gorgeous men.' Most men I've dated who would be considered extremely attractive were usually extremely conceited and lacked personality. This is a giant turn off for females in general while men can put up with (at least for a little while) a very attractive woman who lacks any real substance.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
reply to post by The Scarecrow

I think what most likely happens is this:

Men are generally more interested in physical appearances of their mate while women of course want a partner they are physically attracted to but 'hotness' isn't a top priority. We often are attracted to men based on their personality.

So a man would be pleased to be with an attractive woman in spite of character flaws while most women would not be interested in a 'hot jerk' but would instead be more attracted to an average- or even unattractive- male with the personality type she is attracted to.

Just on a personal note, I'm more attracted to men deemed average or even ugly by society because as a general rule of thumb, their hearts and character are so much better than the 'gorgeous men.' Most men I've dated who would be considered extremely attractive were usually extremely conceited and lacked personality. This is a giant turn off for females in general while men can put up with (at least for a little while) a very attractive woman who lacks any real substance.

Yeah, I agree with all this. I'm conceited, arrogant, vain and all that myself. But I try to make it so people will have a laugh at it. Like for exaple, I'll look in the mirror and tell myself that I look good in front of people, then I'll do a lil Micheal Jackson spin. I can't dance for
so everytime I do it it looks HORRIBLE, which causes everybody to laugh. I do it on purpose though lol. I try to put off "lovable" arrogance, instead of despisable.

[edit on 29-11-2008 by The Scarecrow]

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Well we've no shortage of ugly people so I'd say we're breeding. Yep
I claim ugly.
Actually I'm average but I ain't as good looking as I used to be.
Grey hair, glasses, getting old.
Where's my rogaine?

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Do people only date and marry based on physical attributes? Really this is a silly question. I think most will look for someone deeper than their tan.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

I completely agree that selecting a partner for looks is so extremely superficial and will result in a relationship doomed to failure.

But this this my own personal observation. The experiences of others will no doubt vary. When someone is strictly interested in casual dating, they generally seem to select others based on superficial qualities like physical appearance and the fun factor. However, long term dating and marriage is when people begin to look for partners with substantial qualities.

For instance, a playboy bachelor type might be mostly interested in the arm trinket that makes him look good. But when looking for a wife, he wants a lady, someone who will be a good mother, someone he can take home to meet his parents, etc. A casually dating female might select the cutie with a bad boy image but once she selects a partner for long term dating or marriage, she starts to look for a man who can bring security and stability to the relationship, will be a good father, a responsible provider, a gentleman, etc.

Just my personal opinion: The dating scene can be extremely superficial and looks are often a top priority, although they shouldn't be. It's probably the worst reason to select someone, tied only with picking someone for their wealth.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
What is ugly? What is beautiful? To whose eye? To whose definition? No. Everybody I am attracted to is DROP DEAD GEORGEOUS. And of course, everybody who I am repelled by is UGLY.

What am I?
I consider myself to be fairly ugly, though I am aware I am not viewed that way by the common public.

Again, what is beautiful? To whose eye? To whose definition? Everyone I am attracted to is DROP DEAD GEORGEOUS-to me, the gods, and anybody in their right mind.

[edit on 29-11-2008 by HugmyRek]

[edit on 29-11-2008 by HugmyRek]

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Do people only date and marry based on physical attributes? Really this is a silly question. I think most will look for someone deeper than their tan.

damn straight their KL..

ive heard ppl say my wife is fat and ugly, but then i reply "well when your still in love and married to the same woman after 14 yrs THEN ill let you criticise my wife. but until then your opinion is worth stuff all".

that shuts em up quick

[edit on 29/11/08 by Obliv_au]

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
We ugly people need some loving too you know. I just think we know what's beyond our league. Although, I've known some ugly/fat people who are always judging other people's looks. I have also known attractive people who seem very insecure about their looks. Strange world...

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   

I dont want to sound rude, but there's really no nice way of asking this. Are ugly people attracted to their partners, or do they just settle for what they can get? Because you never see an ugly person with an attractive counterpart.

when i was younger hot chicks loved ugly guys for some reason. nowadays everyone is ugly.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I like girls that I believe are more attractive than me. So I would say the answer is no.

But I have thought about this also. I also thought about when I'm 70 years old, is a 70 year old woman gonna turn me on... because right now, they don't do anything for me! I personally don't think i can ever 'do' a 70 year old... I'm getting off the subject, but its kindof related.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
well, natrually everyone is attracted to good looking people right?
i think its just less than average loooking people have come to terms with the fact that will probably never marry a jessica alba type woman and to an extreme extent with some people, even an average looking perosn ,
and so they settle for a lesser looking girl/guy
But hey ...what does it matter, beuty is in the eye of the beholder

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   
By definition I am attracted to "good looking" people. By definition I walk away from "ugly" people. These things are ultimately our own judgments and what they mean to us is very personal. I think the true notion of beauty is 'healthy'. Beauty ultimately is in the eye of the beholder.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Because you never see an ugly person with an attractive counterpart.

Dude what planet are you on.

Princess Di- Prince Charles.
Cate Blanchett- Andrew Upton.
Miss Piggy- Kermit.
Julia Roberts- Lyle Lovitt.
Anna Nicole Smith- and that crusty 90 year old dude with heaps of the $pendollies.
Antonio Banderas- Melanie Griffiths.
Wharf(klingon from Startrek Next generation) -Dana Troy.
Pete Doherty- Kate Moss
Me and My Missus( i'm not gonna tell you who the ugly one is because its me and its embarrasing, but only a little bit because my missus isn't ugly so hahaha...opps did i type that out loud?)

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Can't really pigeon-hole all people like this. People get involved with other people for a variety of factors.

Yeah, I'll admit sometimes I'll see a couple and wonder how a scruffy fat dude got a smokin' hot girlfriend and I'm stuck dating my cat (strictly platonic, I assure you lol).

But my cat is rather awesome and cuter than most, if I do say so myself. U2U for suuuuper cute pics!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
AshleyD... my girl, thank you for posting that.
I see your wisdom and kindness shows no bounds.

Merry Christmas.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
are ugly people attracted to other ugly people? Yup, I see no beauties with beasts and vice versa. This applies not only to the looks but the attitudes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join