It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Pine Gap ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2003 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Hi.

I have just heard about it.

What is it?

Is it any near Area 51/S-4 or Dullce ?

Any info would be apreciated, thank you!

posted on Jan, 20 2003 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Thought you would know where PineGap is...being Australian and all...its right there in Aussie after all, near Alice Springs.

PINE GAP

PHOTOS OF PINE GAP

posted on Jan, 20 2003 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Supposedly what is going on in Pine Gap, if anything?

posted on Jan, 20 2003 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I'm also suprised you haven't heard of it, being an aussie myself.

PINE GAP'S ROLE IN THE PLANNED ATTACK ON IRAQ:

The US still appears determined to launch an attack on Iraq, but world-wide protests against the war are gathering strength. Australia is already involved through Pine Gap.

Here's the link

www.anti-bases.org...

posted on Jan, 20 2003 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Basically as i understand it, Pine Gap is americas early warning system in the event of a first strike attack.

During the cold war, if russia had launched nuclear missiles at america.

Australia would be the first to intercept that information, and then pass it onto america.

Thereby giving them an early warning .

Obviously this is not good for the residents of alice springs.

In the event of nuclear war Pine Gap would be a first strike target, to try and blind america.

posted on Jan, 20 2003 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Pine Gap photos from Keith Douglass (UFO researcher in Alice Springs)
courtesy Diane Harrison

posted on Jan, 20 2003 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by quaneeri
Basically as i understand it, Pine Gap is americas early warning system in the event of a first strike attack.

Australia would be the first to intercept that information, and then pass it onto america.

In the event of nuclear war Pine Gap would be a first strike target, to try and blind america.

Today the US relays it's signals through satellites negating the need for overseas ground stations.
The question is what is Pine Gap being used for in this day and age ? and how much access does the Australian Government have ?

posted on Jan, 20 2003 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Do we have any idea how powerful the tracking devices at Pine Gap really are?

Who has jurisdiction over this facility, and how much power to they hold in the grand scheme of things?

posted on Jan, 20 2003 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I know for a fact that the prime minister himself has lower clearance to get into the facility than the security guards ( who are american ) that man the front entrance.

It is american soil, always has been - always will be.. I don't think our government knows half of what goes on in that place.

posted on Jan, 20 2003 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Pine gap seems like area 51 to me people claiming underground complexes, UFOs and one of the centre for the NWO, greys etc linked to it, sounds extremely suspect to me whatevers going on there, can`t believe you`ve never heard of it,

great links

www.totse.com...

www.v-j-enterprises.com...

www.totse.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2003 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Here's another link related to Pinegap

www.crowdedskies.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2003 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Pine Gap, Australia
Pine Gap, near Alice Springs, employs nearly 1,000 people, mainly from the Central Intelligence Agency and the National Reconnaissance Office. Originally code-named MERINO, it is the ground station for a satellite network that intercepts telephone, radio, data links, and other communications around the world. The facility currently includes a dozen radomes, a 5,600 square meter computer room, and 20-odd service and support buildings. Two of its ground antenna are part of the U.S. Defense Satellite Communications System.

Canberra, Oct. 18 (CNA) Australia will likely fuel a regional arms race among Taiwan, mainland China, Japan, and North and South Korea by upgrading its spy base in Pine Gap, Alice Springs, to be used in a scaled-down version of the US Star Wars missile defense system, experts said.

In an interview with the Central News Agency (CNA) on Monday, Dr. Gary Klintworth, a former strategist for the Defense Intelligence Organization and a China-Taiwan expert at Australian National University, said the new Theater Missile Defense (TMD) system would become the first step in a new arms race in Northeast Asian countries because they want to try to outdo each other in missiles and counter-missile technology.

He said Taiwan has already acquired Patriot missiles from the United States, and they could serve as part of the TMD system.

But if Taiwan is included in the TMD system, China is expected to increase production of missiles, creating greater risk to the Northeast Asian region, Klintworth said.

"It will be a big challenge to all countries concerned on how to reduce tensions as a result of such an arms race," he said, adding that "the mutual risk is likely to increase."

He said, "The TMD system will not only fuel an arms race, but also creates instability in the region, which must be handled seriously and carefully."

He said the TMD system could proceed soon because Japan, Taiwan and South Korea have acquired defensive missiles from the United States, and once the TMD system is installed, it would likely be upgraded to a National Missile Defense (NMD) system, which is a major part of the Star Wars program.

The daily newspaper The Australian on Monday also reported that in Pine Gap, Australia could indirectly play a role in fueling the arms race because the spy base there would play a crucial role in the new TMD system.

The daily quoted US Air Force Secretary F. Whitten Peters as revealing that the joint US-Australian base would be more important in the US early-warning system for detecting missile launches than the previous base at Nurrungar near Woomera in southern Australia, which was closed recently.

The new spy base will have a new Space Based Infrared System (SBIRS) installed and is due to begin operations in 2004, the daily reported.

"We see this as absolutely critical to the functioning of theater missile defense and ultimately to national missile defense as well," Peters said

posted on Jan, 21 2003 @ 03:30 PM
link   
"Basically as i understand it, Pine Gap is americas early warning system in the event of a first strike attack.

In the event of nuclear war Pine Gap would be a first strike target, to try and blind america."

Those surrounding mountains kind of resemble ours.

Don't worry quaneeri we're not going to leave you hanging. Besides who's gonna do the next "Crocodile Dundee Movie?"

www.as-aviation.freeola.net...

posted on Jan, 21 2003 @ 05:49 PM
link   
While reading the info on this web site, I read the following (broken) piece of info:

The United States has three major bases in Australia.....another in NSW.......

Which base is this?

posted on Jan, 21 2003 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I can't find any information regarding a US Military base in NSW.. However.... I did find information regarding a US spy base in Nurrungar South Australia.. Which is a new one on me.. You can read about it at the link below.

The Document pertains to the Threat of a Nuclear Attack on Australia, Particularly Pine Gap and this US so called Spy Base.. Interesting read.

Secret US Spy Base In South Australia

posted on Jan, 21 2003 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Collins Radio in Wilkinson Street, Alice Springs.
This is a front company for Pine Gap, an American company which hires and fires for the CIA and the NSA.
There is a rumour that Collins Radio may be closing down as a large new warehouse has been built in Alice Spring's industrial area.

The brand new warehouse and supply line for the base or the so-called "joint facility".
This warehouse contains supplies for the base. It surrounded by an extensive parking area for the buses which transport the workers to and from the base.
It also contains vehicles which appear to be for plumbers, electricians and communications

Tradesmens' vehicles in the new warehouse parking area. On 14 March 2001 there were 20 vehicles

The unmarked buses which pick up workers from their homes all over Alice Springs and take them to and from Pine Gap.
If these buses cannot function, work at the base would be seriously interrupted.
There are 6 buses here but apparently there are usually 13 operating between the base and town

There is a sign that forbids trespassing.

Through the gates and into special car park for visitors. Strangers are told to leave or they risk arrest for being on prohibited ground.

The approach to the gates of Pine Gap during the day. The gates are open; the guards apparently do not expect that anyone other than base personnel will attempt to enter

Here is the latest sign post on the way to Pine Gap
(photographed 17/8/02).
Not content with hiding the base behind mountains they are saying we cannot go with 1 km of the main gate.

www.anti-bases.org...

[Edited on 22-1-2003 by quaneeri]

posted on Jan, 22 2003 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Thanks a heap for the visuals quaneeri. I went to the web site credited with the images and have emailed the creators of the site hoping to get some more information.

I will post what I get back.

posted on Jan, 22 2003 @ 01:48 AM
link   
conspirator3

Your welcome.

I always get more involved in a post if there are some images to stir the imagination.

Protesters at pine Gap.

Wanting the base shut down.

NURRUNGAR

After more than two decades of obsessive secrecy about what the United States and Australia were doing at the heavily guarded Nurrungar defence base in a remote part of South Australia, yesterday the walls came down.

For the first time since it was built at the height of Cold War secrecy 29 years ago, the media was allowed through the gates of Nurrungar. It is almost literally in the middle of nowhere, about 10 kilometres from Woomera in the north of the state, and is surrounded by a rolled barbed-wire fence.

This was a chance to see Nurrungar before it goes. The base shuts down on 12 October, its technology redundant in a world where global has come to mean one. ``Thirty years ago there wasn't the technology to process from a single location," said US Colonel Tom Meade, a joint commander of Nurrungar. ``Some of the sites, this being a primary one, are no longer needed and they are less efficient than processing at a single location."

From October, Nurrungar's surveillance work will be done out of the US, at Buckley in Denver, Colorado. Six Australians will go there in January to take the place of Nurrungar's 750 personnel.

Some extra receiving capability will be shifted to the other joint defence base at Pine Gap; its precise intelligence function has not been revealed beyond its having an arms-monitoring component.

The Nurrungar base in the desert will be dismantled and auctioned off.

Inside the gates there are glimpses of a heavily classified world. To one side sit the three radomes, aluminium and kevlar constructions that are a protective shell for their satellite dishes, the biggest 18 metres across.

The Department of Defence will not say how many satellites there are, nor will it reveal how quickly information can be processed into real-world intelligence.

Nurrungar tracks dots of heat emission in space, which can fall into a recognisable pattern, signalling a launch somewhere in the world. This information is processed through a data-reduction centre and a satellite-operations room, which transmits information to theatre commanders about acts of war.

Its most significant recent application was in 1991 during Operation Desert Storm when information from Nurrungar about Scud missile air strikes was relayed in time for warning sirens to be sounded in the Middle East.

The defining moment for Nurrungar, according to Colonel Meade, was not Desert Storm but the fall of the Berlin Wall, the dismantling of the Soviet Union and the end of the Cold War. ``This site played a significant part in the successful and peaceful conclusion of that by warning of potential missile launches," he said.

The casualty of Nurrungar's closure is Woomera, the Department of Defence town where the Nurrungar workforce lives. By 31March, 750 of its population of 1200 will have left and the town's viability is in doubt.

The Defence Department, which will make a decision about support for Woomera in the next month, is committed to keeping the town open, particularly as the US company Kistler has contracts to begin reusable satellite launches from next year.

Another project by Spacelift Australia using converted Russian missiles to launch commercial satellites from Woomera is technically advanced but has not yet obtained licensing or environmental clearance.

Woomera has even been mentioned as a site for a proposed national radioactive waste dump. But Woomera's administrator, Mr Joe Van Homelen, said yesterday the town was not keen. The proximity of a radioactive dump to prospective rocket launching was also an emotional issue and the two together would not be good for business. ``We feel if we wish to use to the full capability the area for defence activities, having a radioactive repository could impinge on that," Mr Van Homelen said.

� 1999 The Age

posted on Jan, 22 2003 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I emailed the site creators and it got bounced. I wanna be one of those guys in blue....hehehe....

Thats me second from the left.....

top topics

join