It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google's New Big Brother Email Service

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I get so much spam in my email its unbelievable. Where they get the address in the first place, I just don't know.

At least with Google I'd know it was based on something I had said !

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Well, I had posted about the Google mail on BTS prior to this thread, but this one seemed to be more active so I will add to it.

I just read this article on the BBC.

"Google's Gmail could be blocked
Gmail is facing opposition from more than one direction
Gmail, the planned free e-mail service from Google, could be facing strong legal opposition in California ."

news.bbc.co.uk...

Seems it has definately gone farther than an April Fools prank.

dz

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I wish you people would be more aware of your current email providers before you bash Google.

How many of you have some sort of anti-spam running on your free email provider? Probably all of you.

Now think. For it to filter out spam, it probably has to review your email to see what is ok and what isn't, right? So, if you followed correctly, you now realize that all your email is scanned before it even gets to you.

And people, realize this is the internet. If your communication is really that important, it should be encrypted or not sent on the internet. Anyone with any reasonable idea on how to use the internet can pull up and information on you.

Google is a great service and company. It's still filled with programmers and not business men. Oh yes, and one more thing.

When you get a hotmail account, and you delete it, you expect all your old emails to go, right? Sure. Well, what about their backups that they have sitting on their backup server incase something happens to their main server?

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
anybody know know when Gmail will be active? i know theyre still testing it, but would they have made the announcement if they were a long time away from the release?

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Google to consider Gmail changes

"Google said Tuesday it is "batting about" possible changes to its Gmail Web-based e-mail service, which launched last month to a chorus of privacy concerns."

"Google spokesman David Krane said the company plans to listen closely to the responses of test users and other interested parties during a three- to six-month test period. He said Google may make changes based on the recommendations it receives, but it hasn't yet made any definitive decisions."

Pretty interesting stuff going on. Just wanted to add in the latest.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   
thank you for updating me on this i am thankful...

i will look into this and try to find more info. on it...

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dmsoldier
I would use gmail for mailing lists and updates,

if you want to send a personal email and worryed about privasy dont use gmail for that stuff, you should have a good email servis with your isp...

If you actually read hotmail's policy agreement (it was a really slow day) they own rights to everything you send and recieve. Legally, they can go through your email, and even take and use any ideas or concepts you have. And I'm sure they do, that's just Microsoft's way.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake

Originally posted by Dmsoldier
I would use gmail for mailing lists and updates,

if you want to send a personal email and worryed about privasy dont use gmail for that stuff, you should have a good email servis with your isp...

If you actually read hotmail's policy agreement (it was a really slow day) they own rights to everything you send and recieve. Legally, they can go through your email, and even take and use any ideas or concepts you have. And I'm sure they do, that's just Microsoft's way.

thats why i have optimum online the fastest internet around

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I THOUGHT THAT when google first announced their e-mail service they stated they would open it up to government scrutiny.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
The conclusion is simple: don't use gmail for messages that you want to keep "private"!
(I don't think hotmail or yahoo are much better from this point of view! Hotmail hacking is big!)
I see no problem using it for ordinary unimportant email, storage, etc.
There is already a "war" between Google, Yahoo and MSN. Maybe Gmail for example will force Yahoo and Hotmail to increase their free storage as well?!

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I only have 1 thing to say about 1 gig free space on google. get 10-15 accounts and back up all your software for free!! There's so much you can do with basically an almost unlimited amount of space on-line.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
"Targetted advertising which is triggered by words in your email is definately evil, but at the end of the day, they won't be forcing people to use the service."

you people make me sick. yahoo and hotmail both advertise their websites to kingdom come but google will now provide you with advertisement (which pays for the service) which you might actually be interested in! they don't "sell" this information to spammers. you won't get anything in your email.

also, i just cannot comprehend why people are trying to stop google from starting this all. they are not forcing you to sign up, you do it by your own free will. isn't america the land of the free?

[Edited on 16-4-2004 by toffa_h]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join