It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How (Not) to Deal with the Somali Pirates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   

How (Not) to Deal with the Somali Pirates

blog.newsweek.com

Well, now they can put away the champagne glasses. CNN is reporting that the sunken “mother ship” was actually a Thai fishing trawler and that, while pirates were in the process of commandeering it, the vessel still had 14 innocent fishermen onboard when the Indian Navy struck. One of them, a Cambodian, spent six days adrift before being rescued by a passing ship. (One other is confirmed dead; the rest are missing.) The sailor is now recovering in a Yemeni hospital, where he had the chance to
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.todayszaman.com
www.yomiuri.co.jp

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Pirates anchor hijacked supertanker off Somalia coast

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
This article states that the horn of Africa is about as inviting as a bed of nails. That is probably a pretty good way of putting it. Aside from the possible mistake of the Indian navy something does need to be done about the pirates. Blowing up every fishing boat is not the right answer. I am not saying I have the right answer so please any ideas you have do please post them.

blog.newsweek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
`how not to deal`

no how not to deal is how the rest of the ships are doing - sitting with there thumbs up there asses

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Ok clearly it wasn't a mistake.
Fisherman were not in charge of the boat.
Pirates were.
And were firing on the Indian navy ship.
What did you expect them to do get shot at and just do nothing?
Due to the fact the Thai trawler had already been hijacked, any of the crew are lucky to be alive, and are lucky they weren't shot in the head and dumped overboard.
Because they don't usually ask for ransom for poor fisherman.
They just steal the boat and kill the crew.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainCaveMan

Cave Man
I can not disagree with your analiss of situation. More to the point I think a good way needs to be found to deal with the pirates. Capturing or killing them all, and destroying all there vessels, maby that would curve the tide of piracy in the area.

Also thanks to both for posting.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
UK law states that `piracy on the high seas` is a capital crime - great send in teh Royal Navy and deal with them all in a `capital crime` way.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
they need a regular looking ship that looks loaded with cargo but is just a cover for plain clothed military, swat or similar tactical groups.

take it out to the areas prone to piracy and when the pirates attack and board the vessle the swat can take em down or capture them, and sink their boat.

wont take long to get the message across, and they will never know which ship

[edit on 29/11/08 by Obliv_au]

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I think I read some where that 97 vessels have been taken over by these pirates this year..Maybe its time a JTF is formed to combat this problem..I mean what do I know anyway..........SANCTA SIMPLICITAS

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
We have plenty of navy's down that way, why can't they under the banner of the UN work together and run a convoy system.

They is no reason why this would not work, sure a few pirates may try there luck against a war ship but they would soon pay a huge personal price.

This may have been mentioned before, if so i'm very sorry

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by colec156

The problem with putting it under a UN operation is that there will be so much graft and red tape that piracy would probably increase.

top topics

join