It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carbon Dioxide Found For First Time On Faraway World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Carbon dioxide, a potential fingerprint of life, has been discovered for the first time in the atmosphere of a planet orbiting another star.
"This is the first detection of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere of an extrasolar planet, which means that three of the Big Four biomarkers for habitable/inhabited worlds have now been seen: water, methane, and now carbon dioxide," explained Alan Boss, a planet-formation theorist at the Carnegie Institution of Washington who was not involved in the finding. "The only one that has not yet been detected is oxygen/ozone."

www.space.com...

To reiterate a point made by another poster on another thread, I believe disclosure on an official level will begin by the announcement that proof of life has been detected on some far away planet using sophisticated technology. We will be given time to digest that. And then after some time SETI will disclose finding a signal of artificial origin, and again time for us to get used to it...and then some sort of official disclosure will come.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
This is a great find. I can't wait until we get the new super-telescope in space that can detect these little gems.

[edit on 27-11-2008 by slated]

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Key Molecule for Life Found in Habitable Region of the Galaxy:

blog.wired.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I would have to agree. It seems logical to get people to grasp the posibility of life outside the solar system with scientific evidence such as this first and then slowly release the information on aliens.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Intresting thread.... The building block of life..... Or it could be swamp gas!

[edit on 27-11-2008 by dangleb3rry]

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
We find known metals in asteroids which land on earth regularly, iron and copper and such. It seems reasonable that other common parts of the periodic table (gases specifically) should be present across the universe as well.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Cool and all but makes no difference...really..we wont be able to get there in my lifetime anyway and im only 21...or 22...or well yes im 20 something.But im jealous of folks who will be born in 2200,just liek folks would be jealous of me in 1805 with my internets and tv...still...im jealous.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

We may not have the technology but the aliens do. i wouldn't be adverse to buddying up to one to get a ride around the universe from time to time. I'd even trade some of my shiny beads. No wait...that only works with less advanced people.
And why don't we stop calling them aliens and start calling them 'people' instead?

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   

To reiterate a point made by another poster on another thread, I believe disclosure on an official level will begin by the announcement that proof of life has been detected on some far away planet using sophisticated technology. We will be given time to digest that. And then after some time SETI will disclose finding a signal of artificial origin, and again time for us to get used to it...and then some sort of official disclosure will come.

Why so?

It seems very paranoid to think that Goverments/Scientists already know about extraterrestial life and are withholding information until us LCD's (lowest common denominator) catch up.
I would rather think that we live in a age of wonderous discovery and its only now that we have the tools to see these worlds. Thanks to the communications revolution of the internet its esier to share information and we hear about new discoverys almost immediatly rather than waiting for them to filter out in the press. We live in great times my freind - information rich we are compared to our fathers and grandfathers. I am not naive and I am sure Goverments withhold information from there people but its harder to do this now than ever before. Instead of wasting your time speculating that disclosure of aliens is around the corner (has been for over 30 years now) why not devote that constuctive energy to where its really needed. I am sorry but everyone is so paranoid about this alien thing its hard to know whats true/speculation or pure sci-fi!

BTW - you ever been to Wikileaks? I imagine "disclosure" when and if it ever happens will be found there for everybody to look at!

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Greetings, Earthlings (I'm from Earth, too, amazing!)...

No Disclosure is Forthcoming. Everything possible will be done to prevent it. Non-tangible revealings (life-molecules) are ok, however (as long as you don't really know anything).

Why? Because the system has been set-up and is being maintained the way it is. Talk won't change it, so talk all you like; dream, imagine, hope, even. No disclosure. Study it hard.

'When' Disclosure occurs, it will be only due to Extreme Necessity: which does not include 'saving lives of the populace.'

It's a system that operates pretty much by itself, as is. You are product for Masters (3rd & 4th D). It's known as the humancoop. Now you know.

[edit on 28-11-2008 by SS,Naga]

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
^Can you actually back up any of the stuff you just rambled on about?

new topics

top topics

join