It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollywood in trouble

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   

It isn't the terrible economy - yet. People are still going to movies. The big problem is Wall Street. Without money from private equity and big investment banks, which injected an estimated $10 to $18 billion into Hollywood in the last four years, studios have had to change the way they do business - fast.

As financing costs escalate, so will production costs. That means fewer films. Though the reduction ripple won't hit the box office until 2010, the number of productions will be down 5 percent to 10 percent over the next few years, predicts Vogel. The total number of feature films in wide release climbed from 478 in 2000 to 631 last year, a 32 percent increase. The number of movie tickets sold increased by only 1 percent in that same period.

www.iht.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Ah, finally! I loves this! This will reduce the dumbing down of society. I like to escape to big blockbusters once in a while but this should reduce the number of useless films and shows. There would be less crap and people will have no choice but to read more.

www.iht.com...

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
If it means a lot less B and C grade movies get made , then that can't be a bad thing. There is so much rubbish coming from Hollywood these days.

Must admit, i haven't been to the cinema in ages.
But I am looking forward to the remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still at the flicks at Xmas time.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
PLEASE. The biggest seller in the history of Hollywood was Titanic as far as I know. If Im wrong correct me. If not the highest, it was a massive blockbuster. This, in no way, indicates better or more high quality movies will be made. This means only the most indicative sellers will be qualified into production.

Realize that part of the plausible deniability is pushed into hollywood. Create a movie that has a few partial truths and inject a ton of falsities, and the real meaning will be lost in the ocean. Look at the Bible. A few good ideas, like love and peace, will be lost in a sea of judgement and hatred.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I would think it would finally pave the way to total CGI actors. Currently they have to render down the graphic to not look human. They could do good CGI films with lifelike characters with non of the over priced premadonas. A good script, good voice synthesis and great graphics.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Velvet Death

Not for the foreseeable future. It's more expensive to CGI than to hire unknowns. And you don't need A-listers for every big movie. And with this economy computers will not be updated as rapidly as they used to be. Which is another good thing. It made programmers lazy. I'm sick and tired of bloated software.
Norton, Microsoft, anyone?

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by quetzalcoatl13

biggest-selling-movies(Top 20)
Yeah, seems like Titanic is number one, by what this site says anyways with a Worldwide Total Gross: $1,845,034,188

Hopefully it means they'll cut back on a lot of those Scary/Date/Hero/ Movie type parodies, I don't care much for them.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I'll be honest, although I suspect differently, I hope it never fully recovers.

I do enjoy some mainstream American films, as I do other American media, however, I get weary of the American film as vehicle for subtle (or not so subtle) propaganda about American superiority, American morality, Ameri-centricism. I know America still seems to be on a high from apparently winning WWII single-handed, but we've had that memo. We get it. You rock, apparently. That sentiment doesn't really need shoe-horning in to everything.

I also get tired of America's senseless need to 'create' remakes of recent foreign films. What, the subtitles get in the way? Non-American actors look 'funny'? The same can be said for remakes of various television series. Not to mention remakes or 're-imaginings' of classic films.

How does the Public Enemy song go? Burn Hollywood, burn.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by eldard

Personally, I prefer Linux and open systems software and tools. Microsoft has too many bugs and is clumsy. I think of it as I out grew microsoft and its hype.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I could care less if hollywood is hurting. Perhaps some of those snobs in that center of corruption will have to actually get jobs and stop spouting their ill-informed political views influencing young people away from the truth of the issues.

While there are plenty of stars that use their status for good will and to help people, there are just as many that corrupt America's youth. I agree that they also need to leave the classics alone. Stop replacing the greats of history with the idiots of today.

I might go to the cinema once per year, and only at the behest of others, so I will not be missing anything. I have all my favs on digital anyway. On a personal note, I am working my way through college in design engineering and would love to see more of this transform to animation over real just to know that I will have a choice of jobs in the future.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   
this means nothing to hollywood

hollywood will always continue on its way

hollywood runs the world

dont believe that?

what does? the media?

oh so you mean hollywood since hollywoods the top of the media

ok we're on the same page now

hollywood runs the world in a weird sense that possibly even hollywood doesnt realize/or that some members of hollywood doesnt even realize

fact is

blockbusters will always be made no matter what the economy is

and today with digital technology

me you and anyone else can go make a movie tomorow

honestly i think all that a bad economy and war will do is make hollywood more powerful

in a way the movie industry was created as a distraction tool to take the minds off the people during the world wars and harsh times of the 30s

people go to movies to escape reality and that wont ever change no matter how bad reality gets

so trust me, dont lose any sleep over hollywood, its going nowhere

the one thing i will say though, is that we can all look forward to ever more and more incredibly horrible reality pieces of crap shows coming on air as budgets shrink in some areas

i guess thats one thing to lose sleep over

but honestly if reality continues this downward trend far enough i think hollywood would actually change alot and we will start to lose these reality shows as more and more people will be sick of reality and need the escapism of a good old fashioned hollywood blockbuster

[edit on 27-11-2008 by Dramey]

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
If there was ever a cause for joy at the collapse it is seeing those scum people in hollywood stop producing there rubbish.

But heck they will still be doing there puking on society.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
My sentiments merely echo what has already been said here. Let Hollywood squirm for once. Hollywood has run dry of original ideas and talent and produces rubbish for TV and film for the most part. Some of the better movies I have seen lately have come from smaller more independent groups or from Europe. Anyone seen "Run Fatboy, Run"? Great flick.

Let Hollywood suffer.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Personally, I have a problem with Hollywood remaking classics. How can you do better than Bogart and Bergman in Casablanca? Micheal Rennie(sp?) and Patricia Neal in The Day The Earth Stood Still? Bogie and Becall in Key Largo? These are movies that can never be topped. Yet Hollywood wants to try. And I find less and less originality in movies any longer. And TV is no better. There are very few original series, and the ones that do step outside the box tend to be ripped off from British series.
What happened to American ingenuity and originality? When did we get so damned lazy?

new topics

top topics

join