It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grocery stores over charging

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Hello all,

I've just got back from some grocery shopping and noticed 3 items from the meat counter that I was charged $2 more per pound than the advertised price. I know that sometimes this is an accident, but this is the 3rd time this has happened to me this month from 3 different grocery stores.

Also, how is it that when gas was out of control earlier this year, store prices were going up due to transportation fees.

Now that gas is the lowest it's been in 10 years, how is it that food prices are still going up?

Today, the day before Thanksgiving, when everyone is going to the grocery store, the prices were higher than ever! Their advertised sale prices were higher than the regular prices they had just 1 week prior!

Talk about gouging the public!

Anythoughts?

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Read the label really close, sounds like you're m issing some kind of fine print, like "X number of dollars only if you buy X numbers of pounds of meat."

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

No, that's not it. I am a professional! I've got 2 kids. I don't miss that crap. I usually bring my receipt back to the store and get my cash! It's happening all to often now.

They could be instructed to do this everynow and then to make it look like an accident.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I think there prices ought to come down a little as well. I can't get nothing for a hundred dollars any more it seems.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The solution? Shop at Target!

I hate grocery stores!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Target so far has been the most helpful and cheapest place to buy your goods. Cheaper than Tops, Wegmans, or Walmart.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thethingthatwouldntleave
reply to post by asmeone2

No, that's not it. I am a professional! I've got 2 kids. I don't miss that crap. I usually bring my receipt back to the store and get my cash! It's happening all to often now.

They could be instructed to do this everynow and then to make it look like an accident.

I would keep bringing it back until you get an answer.

If you think you are justified take them back and show them the sign, or the flyer, they will either show you the "fine print" you are missing if there is any or fix the problem for you.

If that doesn't work go to whoever is the boss of the cashiers.

Or, shop somewhere else.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I dont' think you are understanding my point.

Prices are continuing to soar while gas is about 1/3 the price it was when grocery prices started climbing.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Could it possibly be food shortages? I know we have heard nothing from the mainstream media (at least not much lately) but increases in food prices could be due to shortages E.I Law of supply and demand. Look to see if there are any news items of food shortages around the world, if there are then you have your answer.

Sailor

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
It could be 2 things or possibly a combination of each.

1: gas prices have fallen but its a recent trend and the cost of goods is figured earlier on when prices were higher. Think of their boxes and materials they bought earlier in the year like buying stock when it was worth 40% more. They still paid the same at that time so the prices wont fall until they have reaped the benefits of the falling market prices( just like the stock would still have been purchased for more then its currently worth).

2: you have proven that you will pay x amount for that item then until it hurts sales figures why would they lower it when they are worried about keeping cash flow in a slowing economy? Sure it sucks but that's how prices are determined

- One thing you probably haven't notice but will piss you off even more is to look at the containers you buy food in currently. Your ice cream containers now have a small curve in the bottom to allow them to put in about 5% less product for the same price. Your cereal boxes stay the same look from the aisle but really they are not as deep as earlier in the year. Overall, food items have stayed roughly the same prices because of a price barrier in the consumers mind but they then took 5%-10% out of each package.

[edit on 26-11-2008 by whoshotJR]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
im in ireland and the prices of most things have lowered considerably after a gigantic rise over the past year! bring on the recession!

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
When most food manufacturers increase the price of their product, they don't generally lower it, even if the cost of production goes down. Some would call this capitalism. I call it price gouging. Howver, as the recession continues and people cut back, even food proces will drop.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I read a report recently that said how food manufacturers have been reducing the weight in their products to offset the rise in price so that the customer doesent see a price rise due to the food prices generally going up. Obviously they have to do it above board but would you notice your favorite cereal box being sold at 100g less?

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Thethingthatwouldntleave

Buy less, or produce your own food and prices will drop

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
The funny thing is, or terrible thing is...

I buy cereal for the kids when it's on sale like 2 boxes for 5 bucks.

When they ask for cereal when it's not on sale, it's like almost 5 bucks alone.

Here's the terrible thing.

I wont hesitate on buying a 12 pack of beer!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

join