It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Military Recruit? Here is how you will be respected.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShutI have had fellow Marines whose parents recieved a phone call starting with "we regret to inform you"... I'm sure they would give ANYTHING to have your problem.

I have to throw up the BS flag on that one. If you are talking about death notifications, those are always done in person by service members who are specifically trained in how to make those kinds of notifications. Even serious injuries are reported in that same manner.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Let me make one thing clear, i am not in any way, bashing the brave men and women who give they're lives for a cause that is not they're own.

No, you're just bashing the folks that have chosen to put their lives on the line to defend you and give you the right to criticize them.

These people were lied to and told they were fighting for America's freedom, when in fact they're fighting for American's enslavement. (The rest of the world's too)

Where is the proof of that? How many of your rights have the military taken away from you?

My point was that anybody thinking of joining such an institution in these times worries me. I dont' know about you, but shooting people to me isn't fun, whether they deserved it or not. Especially when the end product is an illusion.

New flash, most people join with the hope that they never will have to shoot someone in the performance of their duties.

The examples you gave me, granted have not really helped in the past couple of years i'll give you that. But i can think of quite a few jobs related to energy and sustainable living that are quite worth the effort.

Now I really want to know what you do for a living. Care to tell us?

They're not defending my freedoms, nobody is threatening our democracy, who of all people who? A couple of guys in Afhghanistan's caves aren't threatening me. My government is tho. And how have they lied to them..hmm lets see. WMD's.....Food For Oil program.....Abhu Grave...Guitmo...are just a few.

And yes i understand that they do not WANT to shoot anybody, but when it's shoot or go to jail, you'd usually shoot. My beef isn't with those men and women who are over there, it's with the people who SEND them there do die for they're own greedy agenda.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
They're not defending my freedoms, nobody is threatening our democracy, who of all people who? A couple of guys in Afhghanistan's caves aren't threatening me. My government is tho. And how have they lied to them..hmm lets see. WMD's.....Food For Oil program.....Abhu Grave...Guitmo...are just a few.

The reason that they are not threatening you is that we are taking care of them over there, rather than letting them come over here and cause problems.

Would you rather we let folks attack us, or would you rather take away that ability before they have a chance to use it?

And yes i understand that they do not WANT to shoot anybody, but when it's shoot or go to jail, you'd usually shoot. My beef isn't with those men and women who are over there, it's with the people who SEND them there do die for they're own greedy agenda.

You don't have to shoot if it breaks the law. In fact, you cannot be charged with a crime if you refuse to follow an illegal order.

I notice you ignored my request for info on what you do. Care to answer that question or not?

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by COOL HAND

Ohh i'm sorry i must've missed that one. I use to be a Systems Engineer, on contract. I struck a couple of large contracts and am currently in the process of starting up my non-profit organization.

And no i wouln't they rather come here and pull off "terrorist attacks" but i mean come on, really, can you honestly tell me your ok with Iraq?, Afghanistant is a different story i know, but Iraq?

[edit on 1/5/2009 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I don't understand. In the email it says the picture was destroyed and then it says a scan of the picture is attached along with a copy of her daughters statement. So then ......

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Originally posted by Valhall
You seem to stand alone in your thinking.

Originally posted by rcwj75
I doubt that..I just happen to be the one to speak up how a valuable picture should not have been taken to basic training and how a mother should NOT be trying to demand anything for her ADULT daughter, who SHOULD be able to handle things herself....and if she can't then this is a great opportunity to learn how to

I did not read every post, but he is not alone in thinking that I can assure you and will not bore you with repetitious remarks to that effect. I agree with what has been said.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by pigwithoutawig
I don't understand. In the email it says the picture was destroyed and then it says a scan of the picture is attached along with a copy of her daughters statement. So then ......

Im pretty sure it was a scanned copy of the ripped up pieces? Otherwise this thread is completely ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Am i the only person that realizes that you "attached a scanned copy" of the photo...?

You realize you can print that photo, correct?

Also, someone shouldn't be taking treasured possessions with them anyway. I agree that what the woman did was heartless...but this is the military. The military doesn't continue to exist through it's show of heart.

Wake up. Stop the coddling.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75

Originally posted by jd140
Military life is easy like I said. If you haven't lived it then you really wouldn't know. You can read about it, but reading about it isn't really living it.

I really hope you meant military life ISN'T easy? I have lived it, and its by far the roughest and most disiplined job one could have.

I get where he was going with it...Bootcamp is easy (don't think just listen). Once we're in the "real world" your military experience would vary. My friends in supply or legal clerks could have an easy job. My grunt buddies humping 81mm mortars , My STA Platoon friends , Rangers and other "high speed low drag" operators would have a conflicting opinion. Me Being a 2 Shop REMF... I guess I'm somewhere in the middle , the physical aspect was never hard for me... the "hurry up and wait" got to me after a while and being canned into a Gator Freighter was NEVER fun.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND

Originally posted by EyesWideShutI have had fellow Marines whose parents recieved a phone call starting with "we regret to inform you"... I'm sure they would give ANYTHING to have your problem.

I have to throw up the BS flag on that one. If you are talking about death notifications, those are always done in person by service members who are specifically trained in how to make those kinds of notifications. Even serious injuries are reported in that same manner.

You can go ahead and secure that BS flag , The CACO and Chaplain are inplay from the moment notification happens. Every effort is made to send a team for FTF notification. It doesn't always happen....

:::sorry for the derail:::

posted on Jan, 30 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Still haven't heard from you yet Val..
But Iam still curious as to how you and your daughter are doing... Your daughter should be well out of basic by now..
Anyway I wish the best for her, and yourself, also again thank your daughter for her service, and know that she is in my prayers..

Best wishes, Side...

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

I am sure killing a few poor people in Iraq or Afganistan will cheer her right up,and make her break into
a course of "I am Proud to be an American,where at least I know
i am Freeee!!!"
no sympathy here,too many innocents dead to care about one
devils emo.
Sow,the wind,reap the whirlwind.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I'm calling this thread suspect.

I've been through basic training. They don't "destroy" personal property when you get there, they store it in some sort of locker or closet until you get released. When you arrive you're obviously in civilian clothes (which aren't allowed)...do you think they incinerate these or store them?

Furthermore, I'm finding it a bit convenient that this is the only photo in existence of the two of you together.

But, giving you the benefit of the doubt, let's assume this story is true.

You know what that means? Your daughter encountered a jerk who destroyed the photo, and the military had other things on its mind rather than apologizing to your daughter about it.

The title of your thread is extremely misleading....what may *possibly* be a very exceptional case (assuming we believe you) is hardly representative of the entire military, quite contrary to what you are claiming *will* happen to you.

Finally, if you truly are that upset about it, consider finding a photoshop expert who can merge a picture of you and your ex together, that you could give your daughter as a gift.

EDIT--Oh yeah, how exactly did you have a "scanned copy" of the photograph to begin with? You just happened to scan that picture into a computer before your daughter left? And if you do have a scanned copy of it (which you apparently attached to your letter that you sent to the military, because obviously that goes a long way towards convincing them of how precious and unique the destroyed article was), WHY ARE YOU SO UPSET? Go get it printed out at Target for a $1.25 and be done with it.

[edit on 4-2-2009 by thrashee]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
So let me get this straight...your daughter took the only photo of her dad and her together to boot camp?

Why?

I sure the hell wouldn’t do that to something I truly cherished.

[edit on 4-2-2009 by Xtrozero]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xtrozero
So let me get this straight...your daughter took the only photo of her dad and her together to boot camp?

Why?
[edit on 4-2-2009 by Xtrozero]

Don't forget the tragic house fire that destroyed all other photos (except the scanned copy of the photo in question). And the dead father. And the mean drill sergeant.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

I agree with you, I was/ am in the military but this women was power trippin if you have been a low ranking Marine/ what ever service your in you no what that is like and know one arrives at basic in a uniform you are issued one when you get there do they destroy your close? No they store them tell you get out why could'nt they store the photo? because the b@#$$ was power trippin and wanted to be an a@@. Bottom line rules are there for a reason but the enforcer of the rule should be smart enough to realize what those reason are and make adjustments when need be imho.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Well the OP has fallen curiously silent on these matters, so I assume it's safe to say she was just seeking an emotional pleading from the ATS audience on how *terrible* the US military is.

Obviously her daughter doesn't inherit her need to server her country from her mother.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join