It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Foods

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   
The candles and matches don't sound too appetizing

Lose the canned goods, they weigh too much.
Put the rice and water in a sealed container and keep it close to your skin. your body heat will make it absorb faster.
Put fishing line and hooks in your BOB and learn how to make a proper trot line. Fish makes a great change for your ramen noodles.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
How long do the calorie bars stay good for? I'd hate to bail, be in my safe blind and find that my bars are reduced to green gelatous. Anyone?

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

On average about 5 years. I got some E-rations from Brigade Quartermasters that have a shelf life of 8 years, and they taste good.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Rice will partially cook if it is placed in water, covered and put in direct sunlight. Depending upon the temperature, and the duration of daylight hours it may require some heat to fully cook. Dried vegetables (available by the pound in a pouch also called soup greens) can be added for additional nutrition. I have premixed the quick cook rice with this and put it into baggies. This takes less water and less heat to fully cook and is easy to add to a "go bag".

I have not tried this yet, but, lava rock (available at the hardware store) and soap stone (this is for bunkering down because it is heavy) retain heat once heated.

Again for bunkering down, to store cook food in case refrigeration is not available I have planned on using the smaller mason jars. That way I could cook and store what was cooked in portions by canning from the same fire.

For variety I have stored some camping meals prepackaged. The shelf life is only 5 years so I have only stored two weeks worth of this.

www.altrec.com... -_-Camping%20Food&facets=true&cm_sp=List-facets-_-Category-_-backpacking-meals

[edit on 29-11-2008 by Siren]

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I like Spam....I think. Can't really remember eating it but I'm thinking I did as a kid. Anyway it is pork so how bad can it be (please don't list what's in spam you will probably ruin it for me)? This seems like a perfect food for a survival food bag or cache. You can count me in!

Ate it years ago while working on the farm, was o.k. Bought some a few months ago for the food reserve and have had it 2 times since, still o.k. fry it up like ham. Ours are dated October 2010. Our tuna cans go all the way to June 2012.... so I guess it will be o.k. to eat until the end?

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Hey does anyone know how long spam can sit in a can?

Til someone breaks it out with that little escape key.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Here is a more complete listing of several good 72 Hr Bags:

beprepared.com...$20Chart

Not so sure about the bar you have...I hear some of them really are not very good tasting...I've used Millennium Bar (about 8 different flavors-all are 400 cals., really good flavored, compact and with a shelf life of 5 years. Check them out at:

beprepared.com...[[ProductNameURL]]

Good luck...

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
oats-lasts indefinately.

salt -lasts idefinately if dry, good for curing and as a low grade antiseptic

instant mashed potatos- can be eaten dry, will fill the stomach and add carbs

jerky- i'd steer clear of anything containing lots of protein, unless ample water is readily available.

i know you were only asking about food, but there are a few things that any kit should contain.

water proof matches- dynamo flashlight-dynamo radio( i'd avoid the flashlight/radio combinations)-"magnesium stick"( flint stick to start fires if needed, save matches)-a few easily ripped rags (to be kept dry and used as tinder)- emergency candles-extra cell phone battery- and a few condoms: for water storeage (average condoms can hold about a liter of water.
most importantly a good huntiing knife, solid one piece construction (locking mechanisms on folders can break, leaving you with nothing but a blade) about 6 inch blade length.

off subject a bit i know... but hey....

[edit on 12/1/2008 by thejink]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by thejink
oats-lasts indefinately.

Group this in with rice.

Add a steel thermos into the bag to cook your whole grains without wasting your fuel. Just boil them for a minute or so. Put that in your sealed thermos and in time you have your cooked grains. Oats take over night, I do this every night. Takes 1 cup water and 1/4 cup of oats. I haven't done rice yet, time to give that a try this weekend.

Much more economical than boiling oats for a half hour.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Ya I know I am a bit late on this thread.
My buddy and i have bought 2 dehydraters and have done all kinds of stuff.We have done carrots apples kiwi pineapple grapse or raisens peppers and a few other things.
We are buying powdered soup mix and dehydrate alot of veggies and make soup packets you can eat anywhere with a bit of water.
Its light and nutritous.
Dehydrated food is the lightest and probably the most nutritious.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Oats are far far better than rice, more filling and much more nutritious. White rice is a joke, it won't sustain anyone.

I am surprised no one has mentioned whole hemp seeds. Cheapest just to buy them unprocessed. No- they don't get you stoned. Amazingly nutritious, will last for ages. There is evidence to suggest they were once part of humanities staple diet. Contain all amino acids.

Also, if there's a chance people are going to be eating bland diets than herbs and spices are fairly important- they make bland food taste interesting- more importantly, they provide a lot of trace minerals.

Cayenne and ginger are probably some of the most all round nutritious spices. Worth researching- www.herbs2000.com is a good site.

Don't forget 90 per cent of grass is edible as a last resort.... Seriously.... Check out Anne Wigmore.

Maca Root, Wheatgrass, Raw Cacao Beans are also very nutritious.
David Wolfe has some great info.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
energy bars, trail mix, esure or equivalent (liquids more important for st, ie, < 3 days: dont forget gatorade and water).

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Mountainhouse has camping/backpacker meals that you simply add hot water too. I tried some last fall that were okay if I was better at cooking lol.

www.mountainhouse.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
The thermos idea is brilliant. I never even considered something like that. In reality it would be a very efficient thing to have. The weight would be the only worry in a bug out situation. I do think the economy factor makes it worth the weight. Burning less fuel also draws less attention.

Spiritowl

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiritowl

I don't see that there would be that much of a weight issue, only weighs a pound, and you'd save some of that weight in fuel. For packing, you could fill it with the oats you expect to carry, just put a plastic bag in there also to use when the thermos is in use.

My thinking is if you are on foot, you light the stove to boil some water, pour about a cup in the thermos with your oats. Put the rest of the water in something to cool so you have drinking water. Put out the stove, pack up and hike. At lunch, repeat these steps. Keep going until you are at your bug out location.

Would think this would be pretty efficient. Many would be boiling water anyway for drinking water. The stove wouldn't put out any smoke and since it's only water, no smells to give you away.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by anonymousATS

When you are hungry I dont think it matters, LOL.

Now can you throw a water purifier kit in there and be ok?

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Here's a page on cooking in a thermos. His prices are way off, but some decent info.

External Page

As was pointed out, water is very important. Keep several ways of making drinkable water in that bag. In mine, I have a stove to boil, portable aqua chemical treatment and iodine crystals.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Activated charcoal is also a GREAT multi-use detoxifier, get it without sugar. Very cheap... Don't know if it works for water but would be good in any situation where people were ingesting a lot of toxins.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

I bought a bunch for storage earlier this year and the EXP date was 3+ years on the can. Also depends on storage temperature etc. like anything else.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Has anyone considered protein powder? Mix with your oatmeal, etc for extra nutrition. Because I lift weights I have a lot of protein powder. I've found quite a few recipes where you can add protein powder. Made a protein mocha smoothie last night.... mmmmmm

<< 1    3 >>

join