It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vaseline Cotton Ball for Fire Starting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I'm preparing a 72 hour B.O.B. (Bail out Bag) and came across a very inexpensive and effective way to create a fire. I have a magnesium fire starter that I would use in conjunction with this Vaseline cotton stored in a pill bottle inside my B.O.B.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Good post, I too chose the old brit army methods of storing flamable tinder, IE Cotton wool balls soaked in vaseline, the only difference is mine were kept in 35 mm film cartridge cases. And of course the vaseline can also be used for various medicinal purposes such as protecting burns and frostbite, preventing chaped skin etc.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I love dual use items, being able to use the Vaseline in other ways is a plus for me.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I love dual use items, being able to use the Vaseline in other ways is a plus for me.

I use it in my cyling shorts, brilliant

Also helps stop your nuts rusting

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
How about a lighter in a waterproof container?

ummm... one line post.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Wow a super mod noticed our little corner of the ATS world. We are in deed privileged. What a great contribution. I completely agree about duel use items.

Its the deal I have worked out with my wife. If I spend money on A survival item it must be able to be used for more then just survival. Star from me

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar

In my kit I have the cotton, magnesium fire starter and a bic lighter but you will always need a way to build and transfer the fire to larger fuel sources..ie wood. With the cotton you have a a starting point that can easily catch kindling on fire which will get larger pieces going. In the northwest I would use old mans beard pulled from trees which was always tinder dry and could get a fire going but again the cotton is even better. I would probably use whatever is around be first but the cotton would always be available to me when needed.

But yeah the bic lighter is a great choice as long as you have another fire starting device that is water proof and unbreakable. Even when the lighter is out of fluid you can still use it's ability to create a spark.

[edit on 11/26/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   

ummm... one line post.

that's a good source of fire...but as for starting a large one...you probably need more than just a lighter to get it started. i imagine the cotton balls are helpful when mixed with some wood/leaves/etc. just the random stuff you might find outdoors when trying to build a fire.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
Its the deal I have worked out with my wife. If I spend money on A survival item it must be able to be used for more then just survival.

Nice! That's a big opening!

Yes honey, the pommel on this Busse battle mistress can also be used as a hammer.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
wow.. I am impressed.. I didn't think anyone knew that trick.. I have several plastic tobacco cans.. (like skoal) loaded with cotton balls and vasaline.. you just smear some in your hand and take some cotton and rub it around until its coated then fill the containers.. shelf life is forever I think..
also be wary of trusting a bic lighter.. they will not light in sub-zero temperatures.. matches and magnesium is much better..
take a bunch of "strike anywhere" matches and lay them out neatly on a length of cloth with the heads in the center of the cloth (like an ammo belt) then melt wax over the heads of the matches.. while its still soft and warm, just roll up the cloth and melt some more wax over it.. you now have waterproof matches.. and as you peel away what you need you can use the cloth as excellent tinder.. the wax will burn and help start the fire..

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Great tip..and I didn't realize bic lighters fail at temperatures below zero degrees. All the more reason to have multiple devices in different bags so you never have difficulty starting a fire.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Most of you are survival pro's so you probably already know this.

That flashlight you have is also a dual purpose fire starter! I saw on survivor man where he wraps the bulk of a flash light and break the glass around the filament but doesn't break the filament. He then puts the bulb back in the flashlight and puts some dry straw over the bulb area. Turning on the flashlight acts just like a BBQ starter would and lights then straw on fire.

I thought this was awesome

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Boy if Only I could make that work.
Unfortunately she decides on the true nature of duel use. Fortunately for me tho she is a survivalist as well.

A little note for you. Lint from the dryer used with Vaseline is ALMOST as good. and its a great way to recycle. LOL

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

Kinky

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   

ummm... one line post.

Watcha gonna light with it?, Yup the cotton wool soaked in vaseline

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I guess im real cheap because paying more than a 1$(for some vasiline and cotton balls) seems exorbent just to start a fire. Use lint soaked in animal fat, or lint soaked in candle/bees wax.

Also about the bic not working in sub zero temps, simply hold the lighter in your hand for 20 seconds(to warm it) and it will light. I have never found conditions that stopped me from lighting a smoke up(even -20 below in heavy wind). If your hands are cold drop the lighter in you pants next to your crotch, when the lighter no longer feels cold it will light.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Another good and cheap suggestion for firestarters:

Bic lighters run out of fuel eventually, but they have a flint and arcing wheel. They usually run out of fuel before the flint is useless. As a last resort, they still put off a spark that could ignite dry leaves, or even cotton.

Wind-proof electric lighters run out of fuel fast. When your supply of refill runs dry, keep using that electric glow to light up dry material.

Zippos come with flints also. Keep a pack of refills in with a kit and use the spark (when the fuel runs out) to keep on igniting those dry combustables.

I have actually lit a cig with an electric type lighter just off of the glow alone. It works a lot like the suggestion from Survivorman using the electric bulb.

I realize the spark from a lighter alone is time consuming and difficult, but better to have a difficult time than no chance at all.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV
Also about the bic not working in sub zero temps, simply hold the lighter in your hand for 20 seconds(to warm it) and it will light. I have never found conditions that stopped me from lighting a smoke up(even -20 below in heavy wind). If your hands are cold drop the lighter in you pants next to your crotch, when the lighter no longer feels cold it will light.

true.. but incredibly inconvenient.. and navigating the flame in 25mph winds at 20 below zero isn't easy.. stick with the matches and all will be well.. if you must have a lighter, have a zippo.. a good one full of fuel will always light, no matter the temperature.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
A suggestion on making your vaseline light a little easier and burn hotter. Make a mixture of 75% vaseline and 25% diesel. It's a lot easier to start in colder weather and the diesel is not refined enough to be harmful to your skin. The vaseline and diesel mix with one other ingredient is also a great way to make homemade napalm.

top topics

join