It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When making a BOB do you ????

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Tarp and para cord for me in every one of mine and my family's BOB.

Yes I know shocking isn't it. the original gadget guy went low tech on this one. Shhh don't tell

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I use a casualty blanket as a tarp. It is a 6X8 grommeted tarp that has a reflective side like a space blanket. The other side is OD. BTW it usually goes under my tent.

Spiritowl

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by angryamerican

I have a tarp and para cord at the moment but depending on the arrival of my bergen I may strap a small two man tent to it.

Here in the UK you can get some very good small tents that are well made and are well priced.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I like the tarp and paracord option. My thinking is that each of these is a multi use item. The tarp can also be set up in multiple configurations based on the area it is used in. Set the tarp up as a lean to or with only the front open and build a fire in front. The heat will come inside. Granted, you may not want to have a fire in a SHTF situation.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by fritzM

Yeah the tarp and para cord is very versatile, again this is the main bedrock of shelter in my bob, though If i do have room to hang a small tent on my bob I will do.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by colec156

yes bivy bags rock, my issued gortex one is nice but if you buy one, go for one with a screened in face. keeps the bugs out and allows your breath to escape. if i cover my head with my solid one the condensation makes it rain on the inside. also look in to a emergency tube tent, basically a long trash bag open on each end, you pitch it with a single strand of 550 cord through the middle, their cheap and light the problem is their cheap and light.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by colec156

I know ppl are gonna give me a real hard time for some of this and
my bag comes out pretty heavy. If I get too tired to pack it all out
I will leave some behind as I go in a cache to come back for if needed
at a later time.

01) pocket signalling mirrors *** can acquire mirrors from dead cars ***

02) multi-tool pocket knife , stainless steel so it wont rust *** done ***

03) camo mosquito-insect netting suit *** done ***
bugs will carry disease from the dead

04) hammock or light folding cot *** only if truck runs *** done ***

05) arctic zero sleeping bag *** done ***

06) weapons: 30-06 with scope and ammo *** done ***
.45 ACP with two extra clips, laser boresight tool *** done ***
ammo cached at a few caches near rally points in
waterproof ammo cans with dessicant in them wrapped
in multiple trash bags and buried.

07) hand crank radio and flashlight *** done ***

08) lensatic compass *** done ***
practice and directions for usage...

09) 1k yds fishing line, hooks, and bobbers *** done ***

10) 18 pocket camo backpack *** done ***

11) shake LED flashlight *** done ***

12) water proof boots with gel sole inserts *** done ***

13) gerber folding hand saw *** done ***

14) 12volt dc power inverter - 400 watt *** done ***
may upgrade this to higher wattage

15) waterproof container - full of matches & fire striker rod *** done ***

16) bushnell binoculars 16x *** done ***

17) food - cheap , long shelf life - generic granola bars *** done ***
need complete protein like rice, amaranth, some stored long term
shelflife cached near rally point, multiple locations. *** done ***

18) water purification resublimated USP iodine method - *** done ***
10 drops of bleach per gallon per online site for water purification.
also for ppl allergic to shellfish 4 oz of bleach in small carry tube, and eyedropper *** done***

19) pocket microscope - *** done ***

20) 28 ga. galv. steel snare wire - *** done ***

21) Texsport® Folding Pick/Shovel/saw - bass pro *** done ***

22) snake/poison kit - bass pro *** done ***

23) gerber knife sharpener *** done ***

24) israeli gas mask with airtight drinking ability *** done ***
$20 at maine military supply - 14 days after nukes alpha
and beta particles airborne as dust.

25) stainless steel bayonet(no rust knife) (non-ferrous can't use as striker) *** done ***

26) US army M7 bayonet (ferrous can use as striker) *** done ***

27) Full Civil Defense Geiger Rad meter set from ebay *** done ***

28) big pack of big ziplock bags - storage & mini Evap. water collection devices - *** done ***

29) wiki books, survival info, wikipedia backup on DVD-r - read via PC near Rally points *** done ***
--- keep up2date ---

30) aluminum foil for: - solar oven - solatubes - weak EMP shielding if done right *** done ***

31) non Genetic modified seed packs *** done ***
only ones that can dehydrate or store in root cellar

32) battery hydrometer - 12 volt systems *** done ***

33) Combined Hybrid Custom Survival Guide - printed - dbl ziplock bagged
Mike oehler, Woodmaster, SAS, KI4U and others ** done ***

34) speedy all, easy all - sewing tools for leather ** done ***

35) wind belt kit - volt regulator ** done ***

36) natural remedy info - anti fungal *** done ***

37) battery recharger - triple a's for pocket microscope - D's for geiger and ionization meter *** done ***

38) safety pins like in woodsmaster survival videos *** done ***

39) Broad spectrum antibiotic ....might look at Vet variety that will also work on humans...fish Pen on ebay is cheap *** researching ***

40) plans = Astrolabe, Armillary, Sun Dial and instructions *** done ***

41) Sextant - and instructions *** done ***

42) Spherical Trigonometry instructions *** done ***

43) Trash bags, heavy duty thick mil, work as water proofing or poncho, seal in heat *** done ***

44) p-38/p-51 or real can opener *** done ***

45) 200 yds para cord *** done ***

46) 8' x 12' tarp with brass ringlets *** done ***

47) 50' of nylon rope, 500' of black kite string *** done ***

48) natural tick repellant- rose germanium and pennyroyal *** done ***

I am still tossing around a few ideas...This is one big bag and one small
one to carry out.

I have a vehicle that will start after an EMP, and two routes planned
on non-highway roads.

Hope I never have to use all this, but it is ready if I need it.

I am not as ready as the Russians are to be sure:

Yamantau

So based on their plans I planned accordingly.

Good Luck to you all !

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by fritzM
I like the tarp and paracord option. My thinking is that each of these is a multi use item. The tarp can also be set up in multiple configurations based on the area it is used in. Set the tarp up as a lean to or with only the front open and build a fire in front. The heat will come inside. Granted, you may not want to have a fire in a SHTF situation.

Totally agree, if the Schumer Hits the Fan its cold camp for me too.

No need to attract adventurers....lol.

Fire will only be happening for me if I think I am going to die
of exposure and layers of trashbags and dry leaves is not
working for me.

[edit on 21-12-2008 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Are we having an ATS camping trip id like to join the fray.......

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
There are some items listed in all this BOB mess that actually will be handy and perhaps last awhile.

But the absolute best thing for your BOB is three basic things.

1. Knife

2. Hunting tools/weapons, be it rifles or hand made weapons, maps and compass.

3. Knowledge in how to live of the land, natural resoruces. Make fire, make necessary tools etc.

With these things, one can build a hut, weave clothing, hunt food, protect yourself, and get around knowing how to use basic navigation skills simply by using stars or the sun to note east and west, then north and south fall into place. Reading a map and compass will last alot longer than expecting some hand held GPS unit to be working during a total collapse.

The less "nice things" you tote along the better. The more "practical" and absolute necessities even as basic as they may be, will outlast all this material crap that wont do any good once broken, out of ammo, used up fuel, in need of spare parts etc.

To expect to survive for the long term, you need to think that your back in the days before electricity, convienience, and learn the basics which will last a lifetime.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moose Head

Ya know I bet we all could learn a few tricks on a group camping trip.

I got a real nice place here in Oklahoma in my ancestors mountains
near the Talimena Skyline drive.

Really beautiful area there between the drive and lake Broken Bow.

The Talimena Skyline Drive

Lake Broken Bow just before dawn

To be honest the pictures do not really do either place justice.

This part of Oklahoma looks NOTHING like the rest of it.

I know there are better places in the US, I am just fond of this
part cause it is just a cpl of hours from me and my great great
grandfather was the last chief of the choctaw indians in this area.

It is one of the few places on earth I have truly felt at peace.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_MislTech

Originally posted by Moose Head

Ya know I bet we all could learn a few tricks on a group camping trip.

I got a real nice place here in Oklahoma in my ancestors mountains
near the Talimena Skyline drive.

Really beautiful area there between the drive and lake Broken Bow.

The Talimena Skyline Drive

Lake Broken Bow just before dawn

To be honest the pictures do not really do either place justice.

This part of Oklahoma looks NOTHING like the rest of it.

I know there are better places in the US, I am just fond of this
part cause it is just a cpl of hours from me and my great great
grandfather was the last chief of the choctaw indians in this area.

It is one of the few places on earth I have truly felt at peace.

I was being sarcastic of course.....however you bring up a great point...we can all learn from each other....(and the pictures look great ...im sure the area looks much grander in person).......See people are preparing but at the same time isolating themselves...and isolation will lead to your end regardless.....not to say that noone can survive forver on their own ...they most certainly could....but in the end its a lost cause anyways.....

If you look at the predator it relies on the prey....but still it has to have respect for the prey....what do i mean by that....if the predator eats away the prey to quickly than the predator will become extinct because there wont be anymore prey left to eat and the predator cannot survive....so in our society when and if some great catastrophe happens...Illuminati conspiracys and what have you....what use is it to survive...if in the end you cannot reproduce...you need to save even the sheeple in order for you to survive....the balance of nature is amazing and cannot be comprimised..........Thus the respect....now how many people are memebers on this website...say 10,000 could be more or less...even if the 10,000 were prepared and survived and lived in the wild ...its not enough people to go around....and in the end the human species will become extinct......

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   

I was being sarcastic of course.....however you bring up a great point...we can all learn from each other....(and the pictures look great ...im sure the area looks much grander in person).......See people are preparing but at the same time isolating themselves...and isolation will lead to your end regardless.....not to say that noone can survive forver on their own ...they most certainly could....but in the end its a lost cause anyways.....

Thus the respect....now how many people are memebers on this website...say 10,000 could be more or less...even if the 10,000 were prepared and survived and lived in the wild ...its not enough people to go around....and in the end the human species will become extinct......

Well you might be right, but during the Toba Disaster most life on
Earth was killed and the ancient ancestors of humans went down
to just a few thousand breeding pairs most scientists believe.

It could go either way, but in light of the largest long term volcanic
eruption the earth has seen, primitive man made it through it.

Toba Catastrophe Theory

I bet it was damn rough.

Here we are up against the Yellowstone Super Volcano doing something
almost on par sometime likely in the next few thousand years.

Nature's version of nuclear winter, not fun.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_MislTech

Thus the respect....now how many people are memebers on this website...say 10,000 could be more or less...even if the 10,000 were prepared and survived and lived in the wild ...its not enough people to go around....and in the end the human species will become extinct......

Well you might be right, but during the Toba Disaster most life on
Earth was killed and the ancient ancestors of humans went down
to just a few thousand breeding pairs most scientists believe.

It could go either way, but in light of the largest long term volcanic
eruption the earth has seen, primitive man made it through it.

Toba Catastrophe Theory

I bet it was damn rough.

Here we are up against the Yellowstone Super Volcano doing something
almost on par sometime likely in the next few thousand years.

Nature's version of nuclear winter, not fun.

I think thats a great theory but again its a theory...as stated by the title the toba theory.....

however im sure when this occured that their wasnt a human force trying to annihlate them....so they had to deal with survivng through the pressures of nature...or evolution....to further human existance....but now youd be against a human force that will do away with all traitors to the cause...........

Most important time will be to prepare before hand...and come together....or....as it starts to occur and many lose their lives to come together and fight back....even with all their weapons they cannot defeat all of humanity...or most of it....they cant bomb the whole earth as it would destroy life for them as well....so they will have to take the fighting to the streets.......city by city... now if they are able to esteblish the new system....than all will be lost....becuse they will have done away with most traitors to their cause and the few ATS members still roaming around trying to save it all.....some will be captured...some will survive only to see the end of their lives....and to reproduce very little....the system will than at some point become the norm...and be accepted....

think of this alot of movies in 2007-08 have had plots of quarantine of citizens and than bombing them....are they conditioning you?....so when it happens people say wow this is just like a movie....i dont think the change over will see a drastic reistance....most people are not aware of whats going on.........

So most people have become dependent on them by not being responsible for their own lives...and giving power to them thus really creating this illuminati for themselves....

Now all they have to do is establish a food crisis...no food...oh my...so most sheeple will run to them to save them...ohhhh please food...so they setup food lines masses and masses and masses of people show up and they quickly reduce the population...those that they feel they need around because they still will need people will be instructed....ok so you wanna eat ...no problem ...mow the lawn for free or in exchange for food...now their slaves....a world full of slaves and the elite.....thats it...no uprising ..no revolts...The End.....

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

the only thing i want to give you a hard time about is that cheap isreali gas mask. those things will get you killed, they leak they suck and the cartrige that comes with them are training only not NBC. even the one they sell as NBC for that mask are substandard. surplus gas masks are a joke and a waste of money. never bet your life on that crap. don't get me wrong i love cheap and i love surplus gear, but that is one item i spend the extra cash on. military models are nice if you get a new one of the latest u.s., canadian, or british designs. new civilian models from msa, scott, or other heavy industral companies work great too because chemical plant and biochem workers trust their life with them every day at work.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Moose Head

...they cant bomb the whole earth as it would destroy life for them as well...

Their plan is to go underground, let the pandemic or radiation
do their work for them.

That is why my primary bug out locations are all caves.

They have been using TBM's all over the US, and plan on doing something
on par with what the russians have been doing.

There is an ATS section that talks about the TBMs.

One of the Air force TBM's in use

Here is a picture of one of the Air Force TBMs.

If any ATS members are out milling about they will be round up
for the FEMA camps, or left for the fallout or pandemic.

[edit on 21-12-2008 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by AgentBlack

Thanks for the heads up on the mask.

I thought they would be ok, glad I still have time to replace it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join