It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Obama take a salary of $1 per year?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by cognoscente

Thank you, you may have responded more lucid than I tried to do!
Aad to avoid a 1 line post, I have pasta boiling, to be used with Sriracha.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
is the regime change affecting your website? not the president himself or the previous president or anything of that nature, but over all something has changed in the last two weeks. whats going on.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I highly doubt it will happen. IF anyone were to do it of the presidents we've had in my lifetime, Obama is the most likely as he is a master of political stumping. Though, it's one of those few a politician could do that I would be happy about whether he meant it or not!

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   
I would step out on this limb. If in the year 2008, my pay, bonus' and comps came to $20 million, I would work for $1 in 2009.

How many CEOs are we actually talking about here, though? Maybe a dozen cutting their salaries by $20 million is not even a drop in the bucket of what they feel that they need to bail their companies out. I dont agree that they are making a fair wage for the quality of their work, but it would take several years for this act to actually add up to anything significant. $10 trillion is 500 times that amount. Are their really 500 people in the nation that make $20 million a year and willing to give it up?

I think that congress should be the first people in this nation to feel the pinch. They are the only organization that has the right to vote in their own pay raise and they do so everytime it comes to the floor. They have consistantly been riding the backs of US taxpayers with no oversight and no opposition to their greed. The scam artist that got that right passed was an evil genius and it should be taken away from them immediately. Their pay rates should be equalized just like all of the workers in the country are and their pay raises should be voted on by the people who put forth the very money that it is financed with.

Obama could take a half pay-cut and still make a good living. His books havent stopped selling and the money has paid off nearly everything else. His presidency is not intended to pay for his private belongings during his presidency. The job comes with a house, cars, aircraft, private staff, bodyguards, and all the bills paid for by the taxpaying public. Most former presidents make their money afterwards anyway, doing speaking engagements and book deals. I dont see him hurting much with a half pay-cut.

Since this is a fiscal based question, I hope this budget initiative of his actually makes some headway without sacrificing necessary national resources. "Line by line" is exactly what has needed to be done with that monster for a long time. Just like in the movie "Dave", I am sure there are a lot of areas of fluffy bunnies that can be cut out and applied to the national debt. I just fear that by the time he gets around to cutting a few hundred million from the budget, our debt to the fed and foreign holdings will likely be near $50 trillion.

Too little too late. Bush and company spent 8 years screwing the country to such an extent that it will take decades to recover.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Wow, from the sound of some of your comments, sounds like USA is really going down the pan, if $400,000 is 'pocket change' and not rich, and difficult for some people to live on.

Where I live I'm considered rich because I earn about $70,000 a year. The average is about $30,000 a year. $30,000 is really where you have a difficult to live on if you have a family, but people do it. And I live in a country where the cost of living is said to be much higher than the USA.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Haven't read the whole topic, but just the first page - some of you seem to forget that the Presidential salary serves as a maximum for any other government pay - if Obama takes $1, so will a hell of a lot of other people.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Great question to ask about Obama and the buck.

The question should have included reducing the pensions of Carter, Bush (the Elder), Billy boy, and now Bush (the shrub) to a dollar also. Each of these SOB's had their hands in this mess. All retired Congressmen and House members should be included in the charlie foxtrot. Do away all free benefits such as health care also.

Make them live with the laws they so willingly push onto other.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
If you think about it, Obama doesn't need any money at all. Presidents are given everything for free. He has his own limo fleet, private jet, and a nice little 250k a year retirement package.

Not to mention the house is already paid for.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

Why should Obama take a pay cut. He's going in and cleaning up the big fuc*ing mess Bush Jr has made of our country.

When Clinton (Democrate) left office we had a surplus.

Bush Jr. (Republican) bankrupted his country just like he did the two oil companies his father gave him. America no longer has a surplus.

I doubt if Obama will take 500 days of vacation like GWB has.

Bush Jr. made this mess and deficeit, he should be penalized not Obama.

Put the blame and punishment where it belongs.

[edit on 27-11-2008 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent

Why should Obama take a pay cut. He's going in and cleaning up the big fuc*ing mess Bush Jr has made of our country.

Bush Jr. (Republican) bankrupted his country just like he did the two oil companies his father gave him. America no longer has a surplus.

I doubt if Obama will take 500 days of vacation like GWB has.

Bush Jr. made this mess and deficeit, he should be penalized not Obama.

Put the blame and punishment where it belongs.

Hold on now...

Yes Bush is responsible but remember we did have a legislative branch dominated by Dems. Both parties are to blame!

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
So, he should be forced to live on savings or charity? Instead, I've always believed politicians should be paid each year, exactly what statistics shows to be the middle range of the middle class earnings, and not a penny more. But then I believe everyone should have the same.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   

I'm not a Bush supporter by any means but the supposed surplus created during the Clinton administration is a myth! Never happened. The last surplus this great country has seen was under Johnson.

Source

I'm also not an Obama supporter but he would gain my respect by doing that!

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Why should he not take a pay cut? Well, he speaks of personal sacrifice at every opportunity. He speaks speaks of service to country.
Is he poor? Does he need money? No. As a previous poster illustrated, every human need for him and his family will be more than taken care of for the next 4 years. Not to mention a cool personal jet (on which all of the above applies). What need does he have for more of our money?
If he is absolute purity and the Godsend that the media and others portray him as, he should be able to magically transcend all mortal trappings such as money and simply perform the miracles he has been purported to be capable of. Now don't get me wrong, I do not dislike Mr Obama, but i am awaiting the miracles that were promised by the media during the election.. If he is as true as his image, a presidential paycheck is trivial in comparison to his vision. I wish him well, and he is alredy a wealthy man. Lets see what happens.

[edit on 11/29/08 by scooterstrats]

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Don't know why this ended up as part of a quote, do here's the reply from, uh,
me...(sorry)
Why should he not take a pay cut? Well, he speaks of personal sacrifice at every opportunity. He speaks speaks of service to country.
Is he poor? Does he need money? No. As a previous poster illustrated, every human need for him and his family will be more than taken care of for the next 4 years. Not to mention a cool personal jet (on which all of the above applies). What need does he have for more of our money?
If he is absolute purity and the Godsend that the media and others portray him as, he should be able to magically transcend all mortal trappings such as money and simply perform the miracles he has been purported to be capable of. Now don't get me wrong, I do not dislike Mr Obama, but i am awaiting the miracles that were promised by the media during the election.. If he is as true as his image, a presidential paycheck is trivial in comparison to his vision. I wish him well, and he is alredy a wealthy man. Lets see what happens.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join