It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Obama take a salary of $1 per year?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
So, president elect Obama believes that executives should forgo their bonuses . . . hmmmmmmmmmmm . . . I can understand the logic . . .

That if you're placed in a position of power, then you've got responsibilities to your workers. You've got a responsibility to your community. Your share holders. That if -- there's got to be a point where you say, 'You know what, I have enough, and now I'm in this position of responsibility, let me make sure that I'm doing right by people, and, and acting in a way that is responsible.' And that's true, by the way, for members of Congress, that's true for the president, that's true for Cabinet members, that's true for parents. I want all of us to start thinking a little bit more, not just about what's good for me, but let's start thinking about what's good for our children, what's good for our country. The more we do that, the better off we're going to be.

We all recall how the auto execs were grilled about their willingness to take a pay cut to $1 until things are sorted out . . . on account of the industry being in financial turmoil.

Well, what about the government. Seems that being more than $10,000,000,000,000 in debt may qualify the country as being in some financial turmoil . . . Having said that and considering that the Prez Elect, along with most senators and congressional representatives, are very well off financially, I wonder how may of them will show faith in what they are doing by taking a pay cut to the level of $1 per year untill things are straightened out . . .

I wonder . . . .

Hmmmmmmm . . .

Link to story . . .

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
how will he buy dog food for the new puppy!? j/k

yea that would be cool, but I doubt it will happen

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
How would he buy dog food for the new puppy, nice. If he actually does take a pay cut it will ratchet up my level of respect for him a bit. I can actually see him doing it too for some reason. Then again, he's not all that rich by today's standards.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Surely you jest?

Of course he won't.

Liberals don't practice what they preach, everyone knows that.

No, it's only the "evil" corporations and executives who need to sacrifice. Those filthy rich people.

Obama won't give up his money. I'm sure he'll be happy to take your money though.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
There's a little bit of difference in the executives' $20 million a year and Obama's $400K. Those executives are making 50 TIMES what Obama will be taking home. He just recently paid off his and Michelle's student loans with the money he made from his books.

Plus, he's going to be working his butt off for that money, not sitting behind a desk and going to resorts. And he has to pay all his own expenses! There's no comparison whatsoever!

Pffft! I'd be willing to pay him more for the crappy job he's about to take on.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Obama's $400K.

I'm sorry, but that's over $250,000.

Obama is rich by his own standards.

It's time for him to step up, time to be patriotic, time to help get America out of the rutt.

I'd be willing to pay him more for the crappy job he's about to take on.

I'm sure the government will take a check.

[edit on 26-11-2008 by nyk537]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   

There's a little bit of difference in the executives' $20 million a year and Obama's $400K. Those executives are making 50 TIMES what Obama will be taking home. He just recently paid off his and Michelle's student loans with the money he made from his books.

Those must have been some mighty sizeable student loans . . . if this is true!!!!

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   

The question on my mind is, Would you take a salary of $1 per year?

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Plus, he's going to be working his butt off for that money, not sitting behind a desk and going to resorts. And he has to pay all his own expenses! There's no comparison whatsoever!

Pffft! I'd be willing to pay him more for the crappy job he's about to take on.

Amen to that bro. Nice response.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

The question on my mind is, Would you take a salary of $1 per year?

If things don't change in my line of work dramatically sometime soon, I won't even GET $1 per year!!!!

Really . . . the question was not of Obama's wealth rather the whole put put your money where your mouth is aspect of all of this . . .

We hear all kinds of suggestions of what is wrong, what we should do, what the government should do, what the executives should do. We hear a whole lotta should dos but the only dones I've heard of late is that as a country we're done . . . as a way of life, we're done, as a global superpower, we're done . . . .

When are we going to change those should dos to dones

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I do agree that the president is paid a pretty fair wage. In today's world 400k really is not that much money. It still would be pretty impressed if he did cut his pay though.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by GoalPoster

Obama doesn't deserve a salary of $1 per year. He's not a C.E.O. of these corrupt banks whom he is referring to.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raustin
In today's world 400k really is not that much money.

According to Obama it is.

$250,000 a year is rich...sometimes less than that.

By his own standards he his rich, and falls into the category of those who need to "step it up" a little.

What better way than to practice what he preaches?

And if you and BH and others feel he deserves more, send the government a check. I'm sure they'll even accept credit or debit.

[edit on 26-11-2008 by nyk537]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raustin
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I do agree that the president is paid a pretty fair wage. In today's world 400k really is not that much money. It still would be pretty impressed if he did cut his pay though.

This isn't a swipe at you, bub . . . please don't take it as such.

This, to me, is part of the problem . . . in this day and age, $400,000 is not that much money.

How the hell did we ever get to the point that $400,000 wasn't that much money.

IF I had $400,000, I'd have a better chance at sleeping at night than I do right now, that's for sure.

And, if $400,000 isn't all that much money, Obama, people in congress and our senators really won't miss it much, then will they.

The point I tried to make here isn't that they're saving the world in $100 thousand increments rather they're leading by example as Obama suggests in his interview with ABC

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
I'm sorry, but that's over $250,000.

Obama is rich by his own standards.

He will be paying his own tax hikes. I don't get your point. I also don't believe he ever said someone making over $250,000 was "rich". Here's what he actually said:

You know, if you've got book sales of 25 million, then you qualify.
If you are making $150,000 a year or less as a family, then you're middle class, or you may be poor. But 150 (thousand dollars) down, you're basically middle class. Obviously, it depends on region and where you're living.
I would argue that if you're making more than 250,000 (dollars) then you're in the top 3, 4 percent of this country. You're doing well. Now, these things are all relative, and I'm not suggesting that everybody who is making over 250,000 (dollars) is living on Easy Street.

I'm sure the government will take a check.

Well, good. Because I do pay my taxes by check.

Originally posted by GoalPoster
Those must have been some mighty sizeable student loans . . . if this is true!!!!

Uh... yeah, they were. And yeah, that's true. Did you have a point? Other than they're taking a huge pay cut to take the job of president...

Obamas paid off student loans with book sales

Originally posted by GoalPoster
Really . . . the question was not of Obama's wealth rather the whole put put your money where your mouth is aspect of all of this . . .

What do you mean? Obama could be an extremely successful Constitutional lawyer making a lot more than $400K. He could be sitting back raking in the dough and not worry about the economy of an entire nation or 3-4 wars and people's lives that are hanging in the balance. He HAS put his money where his mouth is. He's DOING something to get us ALL out of the mess we currently find ourselves in and he took a huge pay cut for the "pleasure". I'd like to see some others JOIN Obama and put their money where their mouth is. He already has.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Really Obama is already very wealthy.
Hes a lawyer and has published books.
He doesn't even need a salary.
Hes earns already more than 500k a year I seen him say it on a video.
The problem is though I think all politicians can not "not" receive a salary.
Because its regulation that all of them get it.
Its kind of like a Union.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Two points.

One, Obama didn't suggest that the executives forgo their salary, just their bonuses. I don't think that businesses that need assistance from the government should be giving out bonuses. Let's see Bob, you lost the least amount of money this year so you should get a 3 million dollar bonus... I don't think so.

Second, Even if Obama does a great job, he won't get a bonus.

So, this seems like a stupid post to me.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Obama's pay check is his paycheck - not a bonus to give up.

It's his pay check and he should be able to keep what he earns.

Just like everyone else should be able to keep what they earn.

He shouldn't be over taxed and neither should anyone else who makes the same amount that he makes.

It's not fair to those who earn the money.

It's theirs. They should be able to keep it.

If Obama wanted to make a symbolic gesture of giving it up, he's welcome to. But I don't see the need.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   

And he has to pay all his own expenses!

Really? Obama, when he becomes president, will be paying his expenses?

Right. Somehow, I don't see him having the presidential limo driver pulling over to a gas station and Obama digging thru his pockets looking for gas money.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
He deserves his pay! What other job is 24/7? Being the leader of the free world, handling all the troubles of this country, no sleep, constant stress, ect. Any person who is president deserves his pay. I don't understand how anyone would even want the job! The majority of this country elected him, they do not pick the CEO's of big companies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join