It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cystic Fibrosis 'too white' for school charity

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Education or medical forum.
Not sure which.

National Post

The Carleton University Students' Association has voted to drop a cystic fibrosis charity as the beneficiary of its annual Shinearama fundraiser. The students claim that the disease is not "inclusive" enough.

According to them - cystic fibrosis "has been recently revealed to only affect white people, and primarily men" .

1 – They are wrong about Cystic fibrosis.

2 – If it were a disease that struck only white men … SO WHAT? It suddenly became unworthy of charity?

CF iinfo

My daughter - who is from BOLIVIA (not white) had to be tested for this because she gets so sick all the time in her lungs. It's not a 'white' disease'. (and no, thankfully she didn't test positive)

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Thats like saying AIDS is a gay disease or a black disease, as a lot of northern europeans have a resistance or immunity to it.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I wonder if they donate to Sickle Cell Anemia charities?

This is a case of overt racism at it's worst.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
That's unbelievable.
The only people I have known who have had this were women.
And one was Asian.
And they needed lung transplants.
And one died.
This is absolutely disgraceful Cystic Fibrosis is a horrible disease that kills many different people.
Maybe they cant even read some figures on a basic Wikipedia search?
en.wikipedia.org...
Cystic fibrosis is one of the most common life-shortening, childhood-onset inherited diseases. In the United States, 1 in 3,900 children are born with CF. It is most common among western European populations and Ashkenazi Jews one in twenty-two people of Mediterranean descent are carriers of one gene for CF, making it the most common genetic disease in these populations. Ireland has the highest rate of CF carriers in the world (1 in 19).

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I wonder if they donate to Sickle Cell Anemia charities?

I wondered who else they had the charity event for as well.
As best as I can find - it's been Cystic Fibrosis for 25 years.
Now they are talking about 'rotating' the charity event.
But Cystic Fibrosis will not be getting any more donation money.
They are too 'white'. (and they are wrong about that).

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Wow this is pretty disgraceful. Who cares who the disease affects? It's an awful disease and treatment efforts need funding. They have been supporting it for 25 years and all of a sudden it's too white? With that mindset, lets go ahead and cut all funding for breast cancer, it only affects women.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
No surprise here, dudes getting shafted as usual.

Think of how much attention and funding breast cancer gets over prostate or any other male related disease for that matter.

My bar is currently running a drink menu that sends proceeds to AIDS research, not that it doesn't affect white males, but it certainly effects more minorities than anything. We've run the same type of things for breast cancer, which only effects a tiny percentage of men.

I don't want anyone to think I'm against these types of drives. Funding research is ultimately good for everybody, but I don't understand why when it's something that largely effects white males then it ends up being pushed aside. I'm selling drinks for AIDS and breast cancer, but who's got my back?

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Such a measure can only make sense if justified in numerical terms...

ie Its more rational to give to a cancer research charity than to a frostbite prevention charity, since cancer affects more people and is more lethal.

To switch charities because of a racist reason such as this is pretty low. I hope the council that voted for this decision are forced to personally go and explain to the CF sufferers why they are "less worthy because they arent more diverse".

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

I wouldn't say it's at its worst. I mean, they could have beaten and enslaved the person who suggested the charity.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sadisticwoman
I wouldn't say it's at its worst. I mean, they could have beaten and enslaved the person who suggested the charity.

Or they could die from a terminal illness that was not "pc enough" to get sufficient funding!

But do go on, please share more of your views. Please help wake people up! If you play the slavery/racism card a few million more times people will start taking it seriously!

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

... I'm white. And I just said it wasn't racism at its worst, not that it wasn't racism at all.

Christ, does everyone have a persecution complex on ATS, nowadays?

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Hmmm... I worked with a mexican that had CF.

Had a white ex-girlfirend. She died from CF. 29.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Although CF is less common in these groups, approximately 1 in 46 Hispanics, 1 in 65 Africans and 1 in 90 Asians carry at least one abnormal CFTR gene.

From the Wiki link in the OP which also features a photo of a young Black girl with CF.

Sounds like Carleton is not home to the brightest light-bulbs on the planet.

I've just added it to the list of Charities I support. They will need the extra help if this myth hits mainstream. How sad. I hope many others step forward to help repair the damage.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Imagine if a group announced they STOPPED funding sickle-cell anemia research because it ONLY effects black people.

Would the natural criticism to such a statement be "well I knew a white person that had it too"?

As if to imply there is nothing wrong with stopping funding because it only effects blacks, but it is wrong because some non-black folk are in fact affected by it and would benefit from the research.

[edit on 26-11-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
I've just added it to the list of Charities I support. They will need the extra help if this myth hits mainstream. How sad. I hope many others step forward to help repair the damage.

Good for you! What a fantastic thing to do! You are a good inspiration for us all. A good reminder of where our heads should be ...

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Isn't it sad that a respectable charity can become the target of misguided political correctness and in the process become the victims of racism and genderism.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

This isn't a new thing for Carleton. That is one of the most arrogant, not to mention elitist (they wish they actually were) post-secondary educational institutions in the country if I've ever known one. And no wonder, nearly the totality of that university's demographic consists of international students, who also happen to account for the majority of its annual tuition. Carleton is worthless; it's the largest organization for festering intellectual wannabes in all of North America.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by sadisticwoman

You're making a backward reference to slavery, which was not done for racial reasons, but for economic ones.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   

But it was justified because of their race.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
you know you would think we would get over this race crap by now. but some people are too closed mined. i am a black mother with a daughter with CF. my husband,her dad is white. so yeah maybe it is rare for "blacks" go get this nasty disease. but no one deserves to have it no matter your skin color. this is an illness that has no goverment funding so we need all the help we can get. and it doesn't just affect men. you people need to get your facts straight. as perents we wake up everyday trying to keep our kids healthy. knowing that one day they will go (die) probably before us.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join