It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ban on calling old patients love

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Ban on calling old patients love

news.bbc.co.uk

Calling older patients "dearie" or "love" is set to be ruled out as offensive by new guidelines from the Nursing and Midwifery Council.

It says effective communication is one of the most essential skills that a nurse can have.

Poor communication can have serious consequences and can damage the relationship between a nurse and an older person.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   
PC ridiculousness abounds in another brilliant strategic move by the Labour administration to alienate a vulnerable section of the populous from the people who are supposed to be giving them care.

We aren't robots, Labour, when will you understand that people like my granny would rather speak to a human being who shows a little warmth and affection than to a mindless automaton!

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I was watching an old episode of room 101 the other day and the comedian rich hall said the word "midget" about 5 times in conversation and it was bleeped out. I dont get the offense, Iv heard another lil fella say the word "midget" is a no no to.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   
More and more the UK is becoming like something out of 1984. It is creepy to watch the progression.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by prototism
More and more the UK is becoming like something out of 1984. It is creepy to watch the progression.

Indeed.

Gordon Brown thinks "Orwellian" is a compliment.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth

Originally posted by prototism

Indeed.

Gordon Brown thinks "Orwellian" is a compliment.

Tis true though this country is going downhill fast, they will be telling us what facial expressions we can/cant pull next!

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Yep just call them bag or toss*r, lol.

What is this world commin too?

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Oh dear, oh dearie me…
What a nitty gritty little mess these bureaucracy twerps are getting us into?
For the love of God
It’s as clear as black and white, that Labour and Big Brother do indeed sing from the same hymn sheet.

The problem is taxpayers are paying for faceless bureaucrats to modify the English language into Newspeak, that it’s all been done to prevent thoughtcrime when there isn’t really any need at all.

The only good thing is that by helping to build up a lack of compassion between nurses and patients; they'll be less inclined to turn the life support off when the patient can't talk, can't move and can feel pain.

This is good!!! (For our parties nobel political objectibes!!!)

And What’s Really Scarry in 1984…
I believe George Orwell was originally going to set the novel at a later date, possibly 2084. The reason is if you read the beginning of the book Winston open’s a diary book “of the kind that haden’t been produced for at least 50 years”. Well if you subtract 50 from 1984 you get 1934, but George Orwell’s 1984 was only published in 1949. There’s also another blip which indicates Orwell was thinking of an earliar date, although I can no longer remember it.

CX

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
How sad and utterly stupid at the same time.

One day the people who made these decisions will possibly find themselves in a rest home, possibly unwell. Then they'll see what a warming address like "love" can do for the spirit when all is not good.

I'm from the south of England, and i frequently go up to Leeds. I find it endeering, welcoming and very warming that i get called "love" so ofetn when i go to the shops. It seems to be a thing they say a lot up there, but it's nice....not abusive!

I seriously worry about the mental health of the people running our country!

CX.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
I'm torn on this. It's quite easy - and tempting - to just see this as another example of 'PC Britain' or even 'broken Britain'. However, I've known 2 nurses that have pointed out that it's easier to call people 'love', 'dearie', 'petal', 'flower' and so on than it is to remember actual names. The use of names like this gives the impression of a friendly, caring relationship, but the reality is often very different. Whilst some people probably mean the sentiment behind it, for some, it's can also be indicative of how there is no 'friendship' or 'caring' aspect to the relationship; it's actually all quite hollow.

I'm aware that many nurses have to deal with a lot of changes in bed occupancy and that, eventually, all these faces will become a blur, but surely this is a fundamental part of the job? Knowing who the patients are?

Also, many people find the use of these terms a bit 'over-familiar', even if they are used with all the good intentions in the world. I don't like people saying 'mate' &c to me in a similar sense, more often than not, I don't actually know the people that call me that and they don't really consider me a 'mate', it's just they like to project a lazy sense of familiarity.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Very true, but instigating an actual ban on it? Come on...I want my taxes spent on actual issues, if you please, not this PC wastrel claptrap.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I'm originlly from the South (US) and I still call people 'darlin', 'hon', or 'sugar' but only if I like them. If I were a patient and my health care provider called me one of those things it wouldn't bother me in the least bit. As long as it's not done in a condesending manner, I shouldn't thing calling your patient 'love' would be a bad thing. It promotes familiarity with the nursing staff and could be a comfort to those who need medical attention.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
This is absolutely appalling. I cannot beleive that the NMC are going to persue this.

BTW, this is not the Governments doing, it is the UK Nursing Professions own Registered Body - The Nursing and Midwifery Council.

I am a Nurse and use the term ''sweetheart'' etc etc all the time - I for one will not be changing this. I have never had any complaints from patients - the day I do, I will stop saying these things.

It helps to 'humanise' the nursing/medical process - patients have enough worries as it is - they just want a friendly human face and some compassion and someone who listens to them. By saying these terms of endearment helps to break the ice/barriers - It is not a derogative set of terms that are used.

The Council members of the NMC need to get their collective heads out of their collective arses and get back on the shop floor.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
The agenda is dehumanization and isolation. This is just another little step in the covert fascist's agenda.

All these politicians want from the population is that they pay taxes and die, it is becoming abundantly clear to anyone still left with a functioning brain that representative democracy is not representing.

Very sad, and one day one of these moves will be the straw that breaks the camel's back, and there will be change. Hopefully not violent.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Hey my UK brethren welcome to the everyday life of America. Where politically correctness rules. This is sad really. Soon we wont be able to say anything to anyone in fear of offending. Sigh.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by mybigunit
Hey my UK brethren welcome to the everyday life of America. Where politically correctness rules. This is sad really. Soon we wont be able to say anything to anyone in fear of offending. Sigh.

I thought you had your much-vaulted "freedom of speech"? One would assume that included the "freedom to offend" as this is what freedom of speech inevitably leads to.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Well that is better than calling the patient by their first name while referring to the doctors and other staff members as Dr. Smith (with no first name mentioned).

That really IRKS me! It is impolite and shows an attempt to posture (to give some people titles while other is referred to in a casual sense).

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

'nuff said.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

it's easier to call people 'love', 'dearie', 'petal', 'flower' and so on than it is to remember actual names.
I don't doubt for a minute that this is true in a lot of cases. On the other hand I've been very irritated by someone who continually uses my name in every sentence as part of some sort of obvious manipulation.
In the end it comes down to the person. If you like them they can call you whatever they want and it will sound good and be welcomed, but if you don't then anything they say will be an irritant.
The government, however, has absolutely no business trying to legislate something like this. You gotta wonder what in hades prompted them to give this even a thought in the first place.
The UK sounds like a place suffocating in "big brother's" concern these days.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I can see the "Dearie" part, sort of. I for one, dont like it.

But another term of endearment???? Thats just ridiculous.

I will call you whatever i want wherever i am and since i dont have a mean bone in my body, i will be breaking the Orwellian law.

How incredibly stupid.

top topics

join