It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indian navy sank Thai trawler, not pirate ship, owner says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Indian navy sank Thai trawler, not pirate ship, owner says

www.iht.com

The ship that was blasted out of the water by the Indian navy in the Gulf of Aden last week was not a pirate vessel but a Thai fishing trawler that had been seized by pirates earlier the day, the boat's owner said Wednesday.

The trawler, the Ekawat Nava 5, with a crew of 16, was hijacked on the morning of Nov. 18, according to Wicharn Sirichaiekawat, the managing director of Sirichai Fisheries, which owns the boat.

The boat had a tracking device on board, Wicharn said in a phone interview from Bangkok, and the company immediately reported the hijacking and the boat's location to the International Maritime Bureau in Kuala Lumpur, Malayasia, the clearinghouse for reports of piracy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
it seems indian navy may have blundered .

the boat was potentially hijacked by pirates and not a mother ship itself

This clarification follows a Thailand-based fishing company's claim that the pirate mother-ship the Indian Navy destroyed in the Gulf of Aden was one of its deep sea fishing trawlers.

This incident could come be a huge embarrassment for the Indian navy, just 10 days after it claimed that it had sunk a pirate mother-ship.

Times Now spoke to the owners of the ship - Ekawat Nava 5, who claim the vessel was infact a Thai trawler, and that the Indian navy's action has cost them dearly. The owner claims fourteen sailors are still missing and one crew member confirmed dead in the assault by the Indian warship.
timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

www.iht.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
This is just ripe for a confrontation here.

Sort of off-topic but I really don't see how the pirates are getting access to the ships anyways. I mean really, do they have those batman tri-hook shooter things that come out of there costumes or magical magnetic shoes or something to climb the 100ft side of an oil tanker. And what about the crew? Do they just tell em "Oh thats ole Blackbeard III, he is a good ole feller, let him climb aboard without cutting his rope or something"

All it would take is 1 man with one of these to foil there plans.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Snift

Picture you working away hard on a fishing trawler sorting through the net.

3 speedboats packed with guys waving RPGs, Ak47s and handguns and machetes closing in fast. Nets over the side and climb up. Fishing boats aren't known for their racing abilities...

That's one of the ways it happens.

Good luck stopping them waving a little knife.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 03:59 AM
link   
A five-hour gun battle to sink a trawler? Did the trawler have a swordfish catapult or something?

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Confirmed as a hijacked Thai fishing trawler by the Indian Navy. news.bbc.co.uk...

Clearly they were trying to avoid embarrassment by admitting that they had blown up a fishing trawler. Maybe they were trying to snipe the hijackers for 5 hours and then got fed up and blasted the entire ship.

Embarrassing nonetheless.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by sadchild01
it seems indian navy may have blundered .
the boat was potentially hijacked by pirates and not a mother ship itself.

Blundered? I beg your pardon! When a naval ship is threatened with RPGs and other weapons that can cause fair amount of damage, do you think the crew of INS Tabar would have said, " Hey guys! Pllleeeasse don't shoot. You can take our missile ship away. But don't shoot! We were here just for a picnic and mean you guys no harm. And we can even ask the Government of India to hand you $20 million. But please don't shoot and take our ship away!"

Do you even know what the ROE (Rules Of Engagement) are, when threatened on the high seas (International waters)? Whether that trawler was hijacked or not is a moot point. The issue here is, if threatened a naval ship will act in self defence. In this case it did and blasted the ship with the pirates on board to smithereens. But before this happened, the pirates were asked to surrender. They replied with gun shots instead and ordered the naval ship to be handed over to them!!

So was it a blunder by the Indian Navy? Think again.

[edit on 26-11-2008 by mikesingh]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fuggle

A five-hour gun battle to sink a trawler? Did the trawler have a swordfish catapult or something?

Just shows how capable the indian navy is.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Seems to me there was a real dilemma between self defence and trying to take the ship back with minimal casualties (hence the 5 hour time period of the operation).

Clearly in the end, the Indian Navy had no choice but to blow up the hijacked ship.

It probably took 5 hours because of the delay in trying to resolve the issue tactically. I wouldn't expect a douche like t0ken to analyse the situation logically...

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   

The ship that was blasted out of the water by the Indian navy in the Gulf of Aden last week was not a pirate vessel but a Thai fishing trawler that had been seized by pirates earlier the day, the boat's owner said Wednesday.

Call me naive if you must... But isn't this how pirate usually get their vessels?

I can't imagine your stereotypical pirate scanning the classifieds for a low mileage galleon - then trying to haggle the price down cos there are cigarette burns in the upholstery... No, they are thoroughly naughty boys and girls - they want your boat you better be packing Chuck Norris or your going home in a life raft if you are lucky.

Originally posted by Snift
Sort of off-topic but I really don't see how the pirates are getting access to the ships anyways. I mean really, do they have those batman tri-hook shooter things that come out of there costumes or magical magnetic shoes or something to climb the 100ft side of an oil tanker. And what about the crew? Do they just tell em "Oh thats ole Blackbeard III, he is a good ole feller, let him climb aboard without cutting his rope or something"

Well you got to remember this tanker in question is massive - and it wont change speed or direction very fast at all. Add to that a small crew (what like 20 or less) I think it's perfectly feasible for several small much faster boats boats to board at different points simultaneously - and yhea they prob used rocket powered grapple lines initially - got the first guys on board. The tatic would of been surprise and overwhelm with numbers and fire power from mutilate teams from multiple points. What's the bet that one or two of the pirates have actually served on the tanker before?

[edit on 26/11/2008 by Now_Then]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
It probably took 5 hours because of the delay in trying to resolve the issue tactically. I wouldn't expect a douche like t0ken to analyse the situation logically...

You hit the nail on the head 44ss!
This worthy is desperately trying to show the Indian Navy in poor light! I wonder why? Seems to be a Pakistani to me!!

Since he has NO knowledge of how negotiations are conducted in such a situation and SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) pertaining to a threat situation in the high seas, he would, needless to say, tend to shoot from the hip!

On the lighter side I love posts such as his as they make me ROFL!!
Sort of makes my day!

Cheers!

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

miky , you are funny , you know , not a paki , but yes, from a bihari family who migrated to dubai,UAE and recently returned to India .

Blundered? I beg your pardon! When a naval ship is threatened with RPGs and other weapons that can cause fair amount of damage, do you think the crew of INS Tabar would have said, " Hey guys! Pllleeeasse don't shoot. You can take our missile ship away. But don't shoot! We were here just for a picnic and mean you guys no harm. And we can even ask the Government of India to hand you $20 million. But please don't shoot and take our ship away!" Do you even know what the ROE (Rules Of Engagement) are, when threatened on the high seas (International waters)? Whether that trawler was hijacked or not is a moot point. The issue here is, if threatened a naval ship will act in self defence. In this case it did and blasted the ship with the pirates on board to smithereens. But before this happened, the pirates were asked to surrender. They replied with gun shots instead and ordered the naval ship to be handed over to them!!

well, innocent lives were lost , so i will call it a blunder and many pirates managed to escape

there was a confrontation b/w pirates and a british warship :

A British Navy ship then approached the Ekawat Nava 5, but the pirates "brought out our crew and used them as human shields," Wicharn said. The warship backed away, he said.
www.iht.com...

British were more pragmatic , while Indian navy behaved gung-ho style .
It is a embarassment for the indian navy indeed . , hopefully Indian navy will be more pragmatic next time

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by sadchild01
there was a confrontation b/w pirates and a british warship :

A British Navy ship then approached the Ekawat Nava 5, but the pirates "brought out our crew and used them as human shields," Wicharn said. The warship backed away, he said.
www.iht.com...

British were more pragmatic , while Indian navy behaved gung-ho style .
It is a embarassment for the indian navy indeed . , hopefully Indian navy will be more pragmatic next time

The British backed away? So what's new?
OK, just joking! See, the situation was completely different. The pirates in this case didn't threaten the British ship. They wanted it to just go away and let them continue with their piracy. So you can't say they were more pragmatic and that the Indian Navy behaved in a gung-ho manner.

All actions depend on the situation at hand. So you can't compare the two.

Cheers!

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

actions speak louder than words , british were more pragmatic like it or not

hopefully , indian navy will more pragmatic next time

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
For the good of the world people, can the Indian ask their navy, army and air force to return to India.
Stop killing the innocents. Also please ask your army and air force unit in PR Congo to return home to India. You guys are killing innocents people around the world.
Just please return and used your army, navy and air force to kill indians on your local soil.
You will do the whole world a good deed.

Sigh... I guess your navy, army and air force is only good at boasting... and very good at trying to cover up your blunders.

PLEASE JUST GO BACK TO INDIA

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
The ship that was blasted out of the water by the Indian navy in the Gulf of Aden last week was not a pirate vessel but a Thai fishing trawler that had been seized by pirates earlier the day.

Pirates steal Thai fishing trawler.
Start doing piratey type things with said fishing trawler.
Said fishing trawler is now a Pirate ship.
End of story.

new topics

top topics

join