It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Origin Of Sex Pinned Down

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Origin Of Sex Pinned Down

www.livescience.com

We all came from hermaphrodites, organisms with both male and female reproductive organs. And though the origin traces back more than 100 million years, biologists have scratched their heads over how and why the separate male and female sexes evolved.

Now, research on wild strawberry plants is providing evidence for such a transition and the emergence of sex, at least in plants. And the results, which are detailed in the December issue of the journal Heredity, likely apply to animals like us, the researchers say.

The study showed that two genes located at different spots on a chromosome can cast strawberry offspring as a single sex, a hermaphrodite or a neuter (neither male nor female, and essentially sterile). The researchers suspect the two genes could be responsible for one of the earliest stages of the transition from asexual to sexual beings.

"All of the animals and plants that are bi-sexual, or have two sexes, are theorized to have evolved according to a particular set of steps," said researcher Kim Lewers, a plant geneticist at the USDA's Genetic Improvement of Fruits and Vegetables Lab in Maryland. "Until now, no example had been found of the very earliest steps. Therefore, those steps were undemonstrated to be true."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I came across this strange news article while browsing livescience and it really interested me and I thought the people of ATS would enjoy it as well.

I myself believe that the ultimate being is Asexual. The Komodo dragon is a prime example, the female is Asexual (she can reproduce on her own sort of like a natural cloning, while we are a product of genes from both parents). The interesting thing is that the female will only mate with a male if he has a genetic trait that she wants to pass on to her offspring.

I theorize that life on this planet evolved females and males due to the way in which natural selection (the process by which favorable heritable traits become more common in successive generations of a population) works with heterosexual beings. It is much more easier to populate while still gaining favorable heritable traits. Unlike with Asexual beings it is much harder to populate while trying to gain favorable heritable traits.

It is also interesting to know that you cannot contaminate an Asexual gene pool, unlike our gene pools which are all so inbred it is not even funny.

Like to know if anybody else thinks about this stuff???

**This is not a religious thread keep it scientific**

www.livescience.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1xion325alpha

I came across this strange news article while browsing livescience and it really interested me and I thought the people of ATS would enjoy it as well.

I myself believe that the ultimate being is Asexual. The Komodo dragon is a prime example, the female is Asexual (she can reproduce on her own sort of like a natural cloning, while we are a product of genes from both parents).

It is said that top level freemasons believe that god is asexual.
I think this concept can only come from cults.

Nature is nature, in an asexual environment nature takes over and creatures change genders.

If nature doens't allow it then how can it begin that way?

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by 1xion325alpha

If you ask me, it sounds like the Aesexual reproduction of the Dragon is indicative of two things, not having other desirable male mates around, and probably because there were not that many Dragons around for long periods of time.

You have a large populous, and then you end up with all sorts of sexual types because the amount of desirable traits are much higher because the amount of diversity around people is also much higher.

I think that a cosmopolitan sphere ends up leading to a blurring of the sexuality of humans because of the number and competitive nature of the traits in the environment.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Yeah but even if someone could reproduce themselves.
Surely they would miss getting there freak on and still do it yeh?
Do ASexual animals still partake in sexual activity at all?

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainCaveMan

Haha only humans and pigs have sex for pleasure!! Funny fact!!

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Great Find

I think this seems very plausible.
If it is so, then I do believe we are on our way to full circle. As there appears to be a rapid increase in the number of
Homosexual, Hermaphroditic, Transgender and Asexual persons today.
Maybe we are re-evolving. Trying to get back to where we came from.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

You have a large populous, and then you end up with all sorts of sexual types because the amount of desirable traits are much higher because the amount of diversity around people is also much higher.

I think that a cosmopolitan sphere ends up leading to a blurring of the sexuality of humans because of the number and competitive nature of the traits in the environment.

Well look at our world, I do not know many people who are 'pure blood', I myself am a mixture of several races. Maybe one day we will all look the same.

As for different sexual types, I knew a girl in high school who was born a female, with extra testicles(inside her stomach near her ovaries), some kind of sexual genetic disorder, she said she wasn't a male/female or a hermaphrodite she was something all different!

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainCaveMan

a·sex·u·al [ay sékshoo əl, ay séksh'l]
adj

1. sexually inactive: without sexual desire or activity
2. without sex-linked features: lacking any apparent sex or sex organs
3. without sexual fusion: describes reproduction in which there is no fusion of male and female sex cells gametes, e.g. vegetative reproduction or budding

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
This is an amazing find!

it has been known for quite some time that life as a whole first reproduced asexually before sexual reproduction came into play...

Now with this find, it would seem we are closer to understanding reproduction... now if some biologist could connect the dots between asexual, hermaphroditical, and sexual/heterosexual reproduction... we will be much closer to true understanding...

This could also set a precedent as to being able to scientifically establish if homosexual, bisexual, and heterosexual tendencies are genetically imprinted.

This could also mean that maybe all species evolving along these lines may be inherently bisexual in nature...

Lots to think about! great find!

I 2nd the motion to keep this thread scientific!

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1xion325alpha
Haha only humans and pigs have sex for pleasure!! Funny fact!!

Funny.. But not true
I used to bread rats as a kid and they did it to say hello! Also you got those randy Bonobo Monkeys

You could say that most modern species are alive now cos in some way they have sex for pleasure. How else could you explain some animals even getting together to have a chance unless they felt like it??

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by 1xion325alpha

Monkeys seem to enjoy themselves (no pun intended)

Some species of monkey help each other achieve orgasm.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Found an article about komodo dragon Asexual birth, a female komodo dragon in captivity that had never came in contact with a male before has "virgin" birth.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

Monkey's have strange sexual rituals, like how the alpha male is the only one aloud to breed with the females, until the bigger man comes along

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
This is quite amazing considering the myths about Angels being androgynous/hermaphrodites.

I once saw a pic of a hermaphrodite, it was quite startling but what if we being either male or female are not right and the hermaphrodite is how it is actually how we are?

oh I know it is a stupid thing to think but then..
my mind goes off and thinks lots of silly things...

It also fits in with what the Bible says about man & women being one flesh...? or maybe not, but what if?

I am a woman and I wouldn't mind having a penis
oh not in that way, but I just wonder why men are always holding it etc, yanno, I often wonder if they just have to scratch, feel to check it is still there?

And how could a hermaphrodite then have sex with the self to produce a baby? That would be physically impossible, unless the external hose is ultra bendy and sort of like Inspector Gadget... "Go Gadget Penis"

top topics

join