It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mystery `Eleanor Rigby' document goes to auction

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Mystery `Eleanor Rigby' document goes to auction

news.yahoo.com

LONDON – Eleanor Rigby: fact or fiction?
That question, which has bedeviled Beatles' fans for decades, may be answered in part by a 1911 hospital payroll sheet to be auctioned in London on Thursday.
The document, sent by Paul McCartney in 1990 to the director of a music charity who had asked for funding, contains the signature of a scullery maid named "E. Rigby" who worked in a Liverpool hospital.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I, as well as possibly you, grew up with the "Beatles" I was born the era they really started making it big, and their songs have always remained with me throughout my life time thus far and I am sure the songs that are embedded in my mind will always remain.
One of those songs had a lyric in it that, with the right age group here, when heard, it is recognized as a "Beatles" tune, no matter the of the distance it is heard, "All the lonely People" and then goes my terrible karaoke voice!!LOL
Well, this was initially thought to been the dream child of McCartney and Lennon at the time when they were singing nice and uplifting songs to the world, with the advent of this song, the "Beatles" flourished and the new era of music was born.
"Mrs. Rigby" was the name of the individual they had used to put in the aforementioned song, and now they are saying it was possibly plagiarism on the part of the "Beatles" for having used it.
The thing that really gets me thinking is, "Isn't it ironic that a song that began their journey to stardom and fame is creating help for the handicapped and the musically inclined once again?"
What a great story of a simple piece of parchment!! IMHO

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Nobody's saying "plagiarism". Paul still maintains that the story is made up, but concedes that it's possible that the name may have subconsciously come from a grave stone that he might have often passed.

Similarly, I'm guessing that some fan with a connection to the hospital in question sent Paul that page as a souvenir, or a "thought this was cool... you should have it" type thing. He was shrewd in donating it, rather than cash, to the fundraiser. It had no monetary value to Paul, but to a collector it will be worth quite a bit, if for no other reason than the "what if?" factor.

join