It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potato silencers?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a potato with holes in it isn't going to re-direct or dissipate any gas.
its just a potato with holes in it with a bullet going through it.

also its a solid object like a brick. yes its softer but i worked under the impression you would get the analogy. in other words the same thing would happen. the bullet would strike the solid surface and the solid surface would shatter.

i suggest you do some research on how suppressors work before attempting that STUNT with the potato.

the last thing mature legit gun owners need these days are people trying silly stunts with lethal weapons. it gives all the anti gun fanatics the ammo THEY need to take them away from us.

nice attempt to re-butt fact and logic though slick.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by pennance

Why I posted that info was to warn those that might try it. There are lots of kids on this site and if they got daddy's gun and tried it they would be very lucky to survive. Most of us that are firearms savy know enough to make sure gases can escape from a charge of gunpowder. There are those that don't, including a few hollywood types. One was Jon-Erik Hexum who had a TV show that Courtney Cox was on as her first TV show role it was called 'Voyagers'. He took a movie gas gun and thought it would be funny to fake his suicide to the crew. He put the gun directly to his head and blew a neat half inch hole in his skull and that punched out skull fragment went completely though his head. Those that are just begining to learn about firearms should not be given faulty information.

Zindo

[edit on 11/25/2008 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Ouch, I never heard that story before. Not a good way to go out. If one were to drill a hole down the center, and cross drill across that whole wouldn't that act somewhat like the baffles of a suppressor? I know in the best case scenario this would be very ineffective, but still wonder if it could slightly lower the noise. I'm glad you guys posted about the risks in doing this, don't want someone blowing off a hand.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone

Why I posted that info was to warn those that might try it. There are lots of kids on this site and if they got daddy's gun and tried it they would be very lucky to survive. Most of us that are firearms savy know enough to make sure gases can escape from a charge of gunpowder.

i agree and i hope i didn't offend any legitimate gun savvy people with my gross generalization. i wasn't aiming to say that everyone posting here was out of their mind. just those who were actually entertaining pulling a silly stunt with a lethal weapon.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Raustin
Ouch, I never heard that story before. Not a good way to go out. If one were to drill a hole down the center, and cross drill across that whole wouldn't that act somewhat like the baffles of a suppressor? I know in the best case scenario this would be very ineffective, but still wonder if it could slightly lower the noise. I'm glad you guys posted about the risks in doing this, don't want someone blowing off a hand.

actually it would probably act more like a muzzle break if you do it right.

if you drill the holes say 30 degrees toward the center from the shooting position to meet a hole straight through it.

that would more or less redirect some of the report. not subdue it however.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
What about a coconut?

Wouldn't that have enough space to allow the gas to expand?

*pre-drilled and duct-taped of course

How about a cantaloupe - hollowed out?
'
Or a plastic 2L Pop bottle like Steven Seagull in 'under Siege'?

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I saw the damage a 44 magnum caused to someones hand that tried the potato silencer trick.
not pretty

As the the bullet exits the barrel the propelling gases follow.
people.rit.edu...
www.woodselec.com...
de.youtube.com...
de.youtube.com...
if your hand is holding the potato the potato will explode and your hand will suffer severe damage from the burning powder.

It can peel the skin right off the palm of your hand.

And since the palm of your hand is rich in nerves this will HURT LIKE ****

vids.myspace.com...

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
When Jill Dando was shot the assailant used what my old man and all his ex forces mates at the time called the assailant's favourite weapon, a .22 pistol pressed right into the head - apparently the pressure against the head provides the silencing effect (so presumably a large firm potato would do the same??) and cos the round has little power compared to larger rounds there is no exit wound - all the pressure is contained - no super sonic shock waves to reach any witnesses ears... So there is the difference - the round WOULD exit the potato, and so would sound energy.

I hope that's not too detailed... there was nothing I typed there that wasn't reported in the MSM at the time.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Ahh that would make sense. I suppose it would be more like the ghetto muzzle break. Finally found a little video of an #s hat trying this with an AR. Video sort of reiterates the stupidity you guys were talking about.

Video

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by pennance
the last thing mature legit gun owners need these days are people trying silly stunts with lethal weapons.

Yes, but it will cleanse the gene pool.

If you want a suppressor...then buy one from a Dealer and go through all the steps plus a $200 tax stamp.

Link..

With a 22, you can one or two shots through a 2 liter bottle and have some sound suppression, but pretty much after that it gets louder. As some others have suggested use Sub Sonic rounds.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Is there any reason this BS is in here?

NO THEY DON"T WORK!!!!!! I KNOW!!!

This is not ATS this is Below top secret, and then some. Try watching Mythbusters, or find the US ARMY test on the subject.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join