It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miami judge rules against Florida gay adoption ban

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Miami judge rules against Florida gay adoption ban

news.yahoo.com

MIAMI – A judge on Tuesday ruled that a strict Florida law that blocks gay people from adopting children is unconstitutional, declaring there was no legal or scientific reason for sexual orientation alone to prohibit anyone from adopting.

Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Cindy Lederman said the 31-year-old law violates equal protection rights for the children and their prospective gay parents, rejecting the state's arguments that there is "a supposed dark cloud hovering over homes of homosexuals and their children."

She noted that gay people are allowed to be foster parents in Florida. "There is no rational basis to prohibit gay parents from adopting," she wrote in a 53-page ruling.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Hopefully more of these absurd laws fall to the chopping block. I'ts quite nice to see people being able to add more love into their lives by adopting a child.
My life changed and personal outlook changed by leaps and bounds when I became a parent, I'ts wonderful to see more people able to share in that experience.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
In my opinion there is a reason that reproduction is something only a male and female are able to do. What that reason is, I'm not sure. But, when more gay families start adopting and the children grow up with severe mental issues, it will be too late.

We as a species have been messing with nature way too much in the last decade. GM foods, Weather manipulation, Animal/Human hybrids, and now.. Male/Male parenting.

Only time will tell, but in my opinion I think we are dooming these children to a life of confusion from the start. This will make them question themselves and their own feelings towards the opposite sex, when their parents obviously are different.

Nature has its reasons, and soon enough we will see why. I just feel bad for the children who are going to be the ones that make us realize that this is wrong.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
You do know that homosexuals could adopt in other states for many years right?

Would you become a lesbian if you grew up with a single mother?

I think you may want to study some biology my friend. You can put a sock in the oven, but that doesn't make it a biscuit.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by round_eyed_dog

W00h00!

You know, during the time of racial segregation and jim crow laws, the courts had to step in as well. It is the only reason why Civil Rights was affirmed.

I'm glad to see this and hope to see more of the courts intervening where the electorate has lost their way.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
As usual, when gays make their demands they only think of themselves in a very selfish manner and not about the implications of what they are trying to impose upon other people.

In this case, gays don't seem to care whether adopting a child is, "in THE CHILD'S best interests, all they care about is their selfish desire.

Study after study has shown that mothers and fathers bring two totally different and complimentary dynamics into the child raising process and therefore by gays adopting children they are denying that child 1/2 of this dynamic.

Further, gays don't seem to care that children can be particularly frank and cruel and that being raised by gay parents will virtually ensure that child will be subject to ridicule and harrassment during their school years.

[edit on 25-11-2008 by leo123]

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by deadline527

Yes, because a loving relationship is much worse than growing up in a myriad of foster homes. I love the sentiment: "Those gays shouldn't adopt!"

"Oh, would you like to help then?"

"Errr...no thank you."

Good for Florida!

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by teeveesfrank

Yes, because a loving relationship is much worse than growing up in a myriad of foster homes. I love the sentiment: "Those gays shouldn't adopt!"

"Oh, would you like to help then?"

"Errr...no thank you."

Good for Florida!

I think if you look at the facts there is a HUGE backlog of hetero parents on the waiting list to adopt children.

JK

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
When will these activist judges quit pushing their liberal-media homosexual agenda? What, is it trendy to be be gay in Florida? I bet the judge is gay.... For every homosexual act, God murders a kitten; further infractions of God's law can lead to events like Katrina and 911. It is my hope that America can be saved, and these homosexuals with their special rights are deported once and for all!

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I am a gay dad and I have a 16 yo daughter. Your claim that gay parents will raise children that have mental issues is completely without merit.

My daughter is one of the most well rounded 16 year olds you will meet. 3.9 gpa, head cheerleader, has a part time job where she is praised by her bosses and is very respectful to me and others. I couldn't be more proud.

Do some research instead of blindly listening to crap that is spewed out from religious groups.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Good. One more step for equal rights for all in this country.

Gays should not be denied rights simply because of who they love. Children deserve loving homes, and there are plenty of gay couples I know who would love to provide one to a child.

And, for those who think that gay parents will "ruin a child and cause them mental confusion and years of therapy".....grow up, do some research, talk to people, and quit living in fear of something that isn't true to begin with.

[edit on 11/25/2008 by skeptic1]

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by skeptic1

The Republicans and the religious right in this country do not want this. It breaks down as simple as this: if you are homosexual, it is a gateway to pedophilia, because everyone knows that many Republicans and those in the religious right like little boys.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TERAKO68

I am a gay dad and I have a 16 yo daughter. Your claim that gay parents will raise children that have mental issues is completely without merit.

My daughter is one of the most well rounded 16 year olds you will meet. 3.9 gpa, head cheerleader, has a part time job where she is praised by her bosses and is very respectful to me and others. I couldn't be more proud.

Do some research instead of blindly listening to crap that is spewed out from religious groups.

So your gay yet your location is Salt Lake City, Utah? The Mormon capital of the U.S.? Not saying your post can't be real but it reeks of BS.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

I agree. No homosexuals live in Utah. State Troopers smoke them from their caves a put them on the run. As desolate and serene as Utah is--in most locales--God's law is most alive and well there.

Issue settled.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
reply to post by skeptic1

The Republicans and the religious right in this country do not want this. It breaks down as simple as this: if you are homosexual, it is a gateway to pedophilia, because everyone knows that many Republicans and those in the religious right like little boys.

Tough. They can live in their little fearful, delusional world, but they have no right to deny rights to people in this country. And, if these people bothered to do a minute amount of research, they would know that about 98% of pedophiles are heterosexual.

Luckily, there are people with common sense, empathy, and respect for their fellow human beings in this country who do not let misplaced fear and delusions of misplaced morality rule their lives.

Once again, good for Florida.

....appreciate's Plucky's sarcasm....

[edit on 11/25/2008 by skeptic1]

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

Originally posted by TERAKO68

So your gay yet your location is Salt Lake City, Utah? The Mormon capital of the U.S.? Not saying your post can't be real but it reeks of BS.

Yes I live in Salt Lake and yes... there are gays here! Lots of us! Much to the dismay of the Mormons.

[edit on 25-11-2008 by TERAKO68]

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by round_eyed_dog

GO GO 305!!!!!

For once, I'm actually proud of the city I live in. I think this is a great step forward for gays especially after the huge shutdown on Prop 8 and here on Prop 2.

Kudos for Cindy.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by leo123
As usual, when gays make their demands they only think of themselves in a very selfish manner and not about the implications of what they are trying to impose upon other people.

In this case, gays don't seem to care whether adopting a child is, "in THE CHILD'S best interests, all they care about is their selfish desire.

By that measure, a mothers maternal instinct is a "selfish desire" as you put it.

What you fail to realize is that the deisre to adopt a child is hardly a selfish desire. It is a normal desire to give a child a warm and loving home. Especially one which doesn't have one yet.

And yes, that is at the most ultimate level selfish, but so is everything a human does.

Study after study has shown that mothers and fathers bring two totally different and complimentary dynamics into the child raising process and therefore by gays adopting children they are denying that child 1/2 of this dynamic.

Funny thing about those studies. They never actually looked at gay couples. Kinda of tough to conclude anything about gay couples when you don't even do a study on them!

And besides, what does a scientific study have to do with the law? Study after study shows that alcohol is bad for you, but it's still legal.

Further, gays don't seem to care that children can be particularly frank and cruel and that being raised by gay parents will virtually ensure that child will be subject to ridicule and harrassment during their school years.

[edit on 25-11-2008 by leo123]

Wow... so by your logic we should have never de-segregated the schools in the south.

Now that's what I call "backward"

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I watched this a few months ago. I think this video is very relevant to this thread.

Its called 30 days.. wife and mother who is a strong proponent of the traditional family unit will have her beliefs challenged when she agrees to spend 30 days with the new face of alternative parenting.

www.hulu.com...-p1-so-i0

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

There are points in Leo's post that you're just dismissing without giving any rational thought. For example, there are times when a young girl needs a mother figure to talk to - the whole "from my experience as a little girl" thing. How is she supposed to get that with two male parents raising her? Same for a boy being raised by two females. How does a household that lacks one of the two necessary parental components (male + female) make for a balanced environment? That is a legitimate concern that should not be dismissed lightly.

Also a legitimate concern is the teasing that will happen in school, although nowadays kids are teased for any sort of parents - fat parents, weird parents, jailed parents, boring parents or even no parents at all. If the kids appear vulnerable the other kids will pick on them. The answer is to teach them to stand up for themselves. A martial arts class wouldn't hurt, either. Sometimes the antagonist just needs a single punch in the face to shut them and their crowd down.

[edit on 25-11-2008 by sos37]

[edit on 25-11-2008 by sos37]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join