It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

should this be a warning?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
People in a vast seismic zone in the southern and midwestern United States would face catastrophic damage if a major earthquake struck there and should ensure that builders keep that risk in mind, a government report said on Thursday.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency said if earthquakes strike in what geologists define as the New Madrid Seismic Zone, they would cause "the highest economic losses due to a natural disaster in the United States."

FEMA predicted a large earthquake would cause "widespread and catastrophic physical damage" across Alabama, Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri and Tennessee -- home to some 44 million people.

Tennessee is likely to be hardest hit, according to the study that sought to gauge the impact of a 7.7 magnitude earthquake in order to guide the government's response.

In Tennessee alone, it forecast hundreds of collapsed bridges, tens of thousands of severely damaged buildings and a half a million households without water.

Transportation systems and hospitals would be wrecked, and police and fire departments impaired, the study said.

The zone, named for the town of New Madrid in Missouri's southeast corner, is subject to frequent mild earthquakes.

Experts have long tried to predict the likelihood of a major quake like those that struck in 1811 and 1812. These shifted the course of the Mississippi River and rang church bells on the East Coast but caused few deaths amid a sparse population.

"People who live in these areas and the people who build in these areas certainly need to take into better account that at some time there is ... expected to be a catastrophic earthquake in that area, and they'd better be prepared for it," said FEMA spokesperson Mary Margaret Walker.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyjames65

Hmmmm Interesting post thank you for it. This makes me wonder though about something that William Cohen said to Congress in the Clinton years 96 I believe it was.

He said " We have an earthquake Machine." Now I thought that it was possible that we used it on Bam Iran on Dec 25th a few years back when they got that big one but I guess am wondering. If the government is warning about a huge quake in this zone are they going to be the ones causing it?

I think the world is changing faster than we at ATS can keep up with it, everyday more stories of disaster and war. I think we are being set up by the PTB for some bad times in some bad FEMA Camps...

Better to be prepared and not need it than not be prepared and need it..

Food, Water, Water Filter, toilet Paper Guns, Ammo, Bugout point if you're in the danger zone.

I don't know why this is in this category though, unless you're talking about Matthew24 and what Jesus said to the Disciples about the end of days and the waves and quakes and death and famine... I suppose that this could be that time and possibly what the Savior was talking about. If he is what he says he would know what was coming and by what means.

My personal opinion is that we have a few years yet to go before we see that blessed hope coming with Great Power and Glory in the sky. But I do look forward to that Blessed Hope...

[edit on 11/25/2008 by theindependentjournal]

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
The PTB, I think over estimate the intelligence of ordinary people.
Earthquakes? as a means to do what? We have an economic situation that is real and will have as devastating of an effect as any "man made" natural disaster, but of course that just isn't glamorous enough for some people, the ones that need chaos and drama in their lives.
...an earthquake like the one suggested would bring people together and create jobs...the PTB, that so many people talk about, don't sound like a group of people that would be interested in creating community service projects.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyjames65

James:

Good post! Yes, we do need to be prepared for such an event that is sure to happen. We just do not know when. Mother earth has taken quite a beating here lately with all of us taking all her resources. I guess she can give us a little knock now and again.

Jesus said these things would happen and to be sure they have always happened and always will.

I will make a point to have an emergeancy bag ready.

Peace
Grandma

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
no dout! it is time to prepare just in case.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
all right on page 11 of this awsome book that I am reading there is a
time table that could come:

listing:
--------------------------------------
Global Earthquake

1. Meteoric Firestorm

2. Asteroid Impact In A Sea

3. Asteroid Impact on Land

4. Great Darkness

5. The Devil Appears

6. Mark of the beast set up

7. Door to Salvation Closed

I had a weird feeling to share this with everyone who is willing to listen.

top topics

join