It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Urban Exploration

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I am an avid urban explorer. Recently, I have been having trouble finding the time...or the places...to explore. I was wondering if anyone else here is into UE, and if you have been any cool places, or come across cool things while exploring?

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Klemperer

You would like the show "Cities of the Underworld" on The History Channel... if you don't watch it already

My exploration is a little different...

My hometown (teeny tiny place) was victim to a cholera plague in the mid 1830's. In an attempt to distance themselves from the disease... the entire town center moved several miles west, where it is today.

My extent of exploration is wandering around in the woods directly east of our town... finding old bridges, structures/foundations, cemetaries etc.

Several years ago, I found the original town cemetary in the middle of the woods (really spooky looking too... it was awesome!). This cemetary is now maintained by the local government...

Not exactly "urban" but fun none the less

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I am fascinated by the subject but, these days my exploring is done vicariously through the web or shows like nj2day mentioned. Now that I'm married with kids, my wife would kill me if I ever got caught.

When I lived in Charlotte NC, I explored the former PTL amusement park "Heritage USA" in Fort Mill, SC to some extent. It is an eerie place but fun to explore. When Baker fell from grace this place was apparently abandoned. There was also a good deal of controversy regarding the financing of this park, the sale of timeshares etc.. I imagine it is all destined for the wrecking ball at some point.

illicitohio.com...

Another fun site.

www.forgottenoh.com...

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
One of Mike Tyson's old mansions. This one is somewhere in Ohio not CT like mentioned on the page. The mansion is now owned by someone else and these pictures were difficult to track down.

www.popgive.com...

illicitohio.com...

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
This is my personal favorite find:

America The Beautiful Park

Dig the obelisk's and the Star Gate! This is a public park in Colorado Springs!

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
check out this sight it has alot of good info on it about places and there history www.ForgottenOh.com

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Awesome sights guys, some amazing pictures.

Always wanted to get into more UE, but never have the time or energy.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
When I read "Urban Exploring" I conjured up images of some uppity Ivy Leaguer wearing a pith helmet wandering through the ghetto.

Cant say I've ever been particularly concerned with 'urban' anything though. All I've ever found was graffiti, used condoms, passed out drunks, dead drunks, syringes, etc...

Once I did find a really neat tunnel system near Wesleyan University but it had been littered with graffiti, used condoms, passed out drinks, etc....

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
While in College at Ball State we used to lift the steam grates in the sidewalks up and enter the heating tunnels that led all over the north quad area. Luckily none of us were ever caught although we did give the campus police a pretty good chase on our mountain bikes one night after coming out from under the sidewalk. Three of us split up tearing across campus in different directions. Oh the good ol days, thanks for the flashback.

The Undertaker

new topics

top topics

join