It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vanishing Sunspot Mystery Has Scientists Worried! The Beginning Of The Ice Age?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Timmy0800

I am only a 15 yo student but even I realise that global warming is a hoax BUT it is very important that we stop producing earth damaging gases.

Ah, from the mouths (fingers) of babes... thank you Timmy.

All the energy and time we are putting into preventing this disastrous trace gas that just happens to be essential for life, could be used to completely eliminate all the HCl, sulfur dioxide, nitrates, nitrides, and smog that do harm our environment. Or we could use those resources to find new ways to reduce our dependency on foreign oil. Or we could feed the poor, fix the economy... all left behind in the hunt for the evil CO2 molecule.

Have a star, Timmy. You deserve it.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Its not worth worrying about something you cannot do anything about.

All of the planets in our solar system are raising in temperature on geologic scales, not on human ones. Every planet is hotter now than it was 1 million years ago. Burning fossil fuels does nothing other than make very empathetic people angry. You can get as mad as you want but environmental activists will always lose to market powers.

This whole worrying about climate change is very opportunistic and short sighted. Prius drivers should understand that while they are slowing down the consumption of oil on their part, the overall supply of oil will eventually go to ZERO no matter what you do.

Germany and Japan used the fischer-tropsch process to make their own synthetic petroleum substitute back in ww2 which worked beautifully, but was more expensive than drilling. So why not drill everything, than switch?

An Ice Age is a made up term used to describe a geological shift we do not yet fully understand. To predict a drop in global temperature because of sun spots stopping is like predicting the global temperature to go down from prius drivers.

I suggest you try to calculate the heat capacity of a skyscraper and in turn how much power it would take to freeze a single building, let alone a whole city. Also, try computing the heat capacity of the earths crust along the equator? How about the amount of power required to freeze it all?

The image of upper atmosphere coming down and somehow flash-freezing skyscrapers is like mental terrorism for environmental scientists who understand the repercussions of such a false image and how dangerous it can be if you believe that sort of thing.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Once again this is a false implication concerning sunspots and "cooling." The fact is that the majority of scientists conclude that sunspots have negligible effect on warming/cooling. Recent experiments verify this, but I understand this is just another attempt to be biased against man made climate change.

Very recent studies using archived river level data have shown sunspot activity seems to have an effect on global rainfall levels yet the reasons for this are unknown. It seems likely they have some influence on cloud formation, and if this is the case it would be very foolish to dismiss their effect on warming and cooling also. There is still much we do not know about the interactions between the sun and the atmosphere, and there certainly do seem very strong historic correlations between sunspot activity and periods of warming/cooling which we ignore at our peril!

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I wonder what would happen if you graphed climate change (major and minor ice ages), population capacity of the earth during those ages, and our population growth curves.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Frank Lee

So what are the proper responses to global cooling?

Well I already moved closer to the equator and bought a farm, that leaves the woolen undies knitted from my sheep's wool, guns ammo and prayer.

One wonders if Al Gore and company are raking in the money now to buy the assets they need to survive the next mini-ice age. Maybe that is why BUSH is moving to south America, he knows his fellow Texans will take him out when an ice age hits after all the carbon tax is paid.

It would certainly explain why there is a big push (new regs) by the wealthy to get the peasants off the farmland.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet
that leaves the woolen undies knitted from my sheep's wool

Not close enough to the equator then!

[edit on 26-11-2008 by Phage]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by malcr

Malcr I have read some pretty good explanations on man made global warming. However even some of the best explanations still say that "it is highly probably" we are responsible. I was all for global warming until I started reading about it on the net. And learning that not everything that Al Gore says is the truth.

When you can give me a forecast with actual hard data showing trends. And the weather follows those trends then I will listen. Because at that point the science is correct. But until someone can do that I will remain unconvinced.

But lets not confuse global warming with man made global warming. Global warming and global cooling are fact. The planet will get hotter eventually and then it will cool eventually. In fact history shows it's done this in the past. And will probably do so in the future.

But to sit there and say hey we are causing it. Well that's a bunch of horse manure. Give me a prediction based on the science. If that prediction pans out then I will start listening.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Once again this is a false implication concerning sunspots and "cooling." The fact is that the majority of scientists conclude that sunspots have negligible effect on warming/cooling. Recent experiments verify this, but I understand this is just another attempt to be biased against man made climate change.

Right because no scientist could ever be wrong right?
And there are scientists on the other side talking about the suns link to global warming.
www.msnbc.msn.com...
and this is back from 2005.
we still don't have all the facts.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Do carbon credits come with a money-back guarantee?

YES YES I think Al Gore should PERSONALLY guarantee those carbon credits at a 29.99% interest rate especially for the farmers who are raising the food we eat.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Wouldn't the vanishing of cool spots on the sun mean a warmer climate?

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

But what are the facts? According to a U.S. National Public Radio (NPR) interview with Josh Willis at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, a scientist who keeps close watch on the Argo findings, "there has been a slight cooling."

Now add to this the latest findings of the vanishing sun spots that are resulting in ‘global cooling’ and things start to get a little clearer. So much for ‘Global Warming’!

Thanks, good find and a star for you. Interesting how data that does not support the politically correct hypothesis is thrown out. Saw an article stating 90% of research in colleges is funded by industry who then claim the patents and nearly 100% of the patents in the life sciences.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Redneck,
I too remember the "global cooling" of the 70's. I also remember the same person started yelling about "global warming" after he was proven wrong. I noticed my internet weather spot got rid of the "Global Warming" label on the info page recently and now call it "Climate Change" I wonder how Al Gore and Maurice Strong are going to backpedal?

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

I imagine much blame will be put on ManBearPig. Poor ManBearPig, he always gets a bum rap.

In any case. Losing his credibility is gonna be a harsh slap in the face.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by malcr

All that has happened is that the skeptics have become further entrenched into their own distorted and cherry picked analysis.

Sorry dude back when I was in school it was taught as science. Then it got dropped because it was no longer "politically correct"

Although the sunspot/earth temperature correlation has been known for 200 years or more nothing was ever said about climate and sunspots until the Oregon group brought the subject up a couple of decades ago. It was ignored but they kept screaming so the politicos had to respond. Statistics are statistics you don't have to be a climate scientist to look at the data and decide if someone is bull s@@ting you. As a lab manager I have found “consensus” is the term the boss uses when he wants a decision that is contrary to the scientific facts. I have been fired a number of times for having data that proves a “consensus” was flat out wrong. Follow the money. Academia is not without financial pressure.

At $125 to $189 bucks a cow and $20 for a pig someone is going to make A LOT of money from the 8.5 to 9 BILLION animals they plan to tax. FOLLOW THE MONEY

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Its pretty obvious to anyone who does a little research, that man mnade global warming is a well crafted fairytale.
Im trying to tell as many people as I can.

It does look like a possible mini-ice age, which would be bad for me, seeing as I live in Ireland, and I hAVE noticed that so far this winter seems to have gotten extremely cold here all of a sudden,

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Outlawstar

Unfortunately an ice age will be far worse than global warming. Dinosaur era temps made for a lush environment (lots of food). Ice ages or even mini ice ages means a lot less food. Unfortunately we have a lot more people to feed now.

I plotted the temp for the last month and a half and we are on average 4 degrees F below normal. I also noted my animals started growing winter coats at the end of July and I am in North Carolina!!!

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
The suns heliosphere is also shrinking it protects us from harmful radiation, noone really know why

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet
reply to post by Outlawstar

I plotted the temp for the last month and a half and we are on average 4 degrees F below normal. I also noted my animals started growing winter coats at the end of July and I am in North Carolina!!!

1. A month isn't very long
  2. What's "normal"?

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
If you have any doubt as to whether Anthropogenically caused global warming is a fraud look up lord monktons article on the IPCCs 4th annual report.
He found over 30 inaccuracies that were addressed by the IPCC but the 4th report was not republished - instead those who still brandish the 4th report as the warmists bible are still disseminating incorrect information.
Monkton concluded that there was no significant link between human activity and climate change.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

We are on the down side of the 22 year sun spot cycle, so there are very little sunspots.

No global warming just a normal change that happens ever 22 years.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join