It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George W. Bush's Impossible Achievement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
FROM BLOG: Connecting.the.Dots - News and views by retired editor-publisher, former chairman of the American Society of Magazine Editors, co-blogger on The Moderate Voice

ajliebling.blogspot.com...

As he serves out his time, the self-styled Decider is putting Americans through the most agonizing period of indecision in three-quarters of a century, leaving a unified nation holding its breath until January 20th.

Paul Krugman cites today's parallel with the "power vacuum" in 1932-1933 that was "disastrous for the U.S. economy, at least in part because the outgoing administration had no credibility, the incoming administration had no authority and the ideological chasm between the two sides was too great to allow concerted action."

George W. Bush has spent eight years using the power of an imperial presidency to make government impotent and has succeeded so well that Congress is helpless to do anything about saving a failing economy until he leaves Washington.

His Treasury Secretary has disbursed almost half of the $700 billion bailout money he begged for and, with the crisis worsening, has gone into hiding until he can get out of town.

Congressional Democrats are tap-dancing for time by castigating drowning Detroit auto makers for not flying tourist class while checking airline schedules for their own two-month vacations.

Meanwhile, Wall Street keeps sinking to new lows daily, credits markets are freezing up again and the rest of America is facing a holiday season of deep despair.

Bush's crowning achievement is that he will leave the White House, having united the country, in fact the whole world, in a universal hunger for government to do something, anything but what he has been doing and not doing during his tenure in office.

The minute Barack Obama takes the oath, there will be a huge sigh of relief heard around the globe.

[edit: added source link and required EX tags]

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count. Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread. If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events, or important information from other sites; please post one or two paragraphs, a link to the entire story, AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

[edit on 24-11-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Whether or not the right wingers like it or not... its true.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I gotta agree with GROVER once more. It may not be something they enjoy, but it's gonna happen. Evident by all the red states that turned blue. Personally, I just want the solution, not a jive of lies.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Wow what a joke! People actually think it's Bush and the Republicans fault! Well, I mean it is, but don't forget about the democrats. Lol people still think republicans and democrats are different. Bush didn't just magically destroy the country in 8 years. No, America has been slowly crumbling for the better part of a century now and it took both republicans and democrats to do it.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Wow what a joke! People actually think it's Bush and the Republicans fault! Well, I mean it is, but don't forget about the democrats. Lol people still think republicans and democrats are different. Bush didn't just magically destroy the country in 8 years. No, America has been slowly crumbling for the better part of a century now and it took both republicans and democrats to do it.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   

The minute Barack Obama takes the oath, there will be a huge sigh of relief heard around the globe.

Please.

Can we stop with the Obama will save the world stuff already?

Some of them in America may, until his outrages new spending and increased corporate taxes drive our business overseas.

The countries that get our jobs will probably feel pretty good about things.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Thats not what he said and if you read articles and editorials from around the world like I do... its true... even our allies are sick of bush minor.

And in case you haven't noticed business has been moving overseas for years and its not because of high taxes... its due to cheap labor.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
And Obama is going to solve the problem of cheap labor moving jobs overseas?

Do you honestly think his increased corporate taxes will help? Because I don't.

I for one will not be breathing a sigh of relief when Obama takes office. I'll be holding my breath.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Sure, America is unified.

That's why over 58 million people voted against Obama.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
The count I've read is 63.7 million for Obama 57.6 for McCain.

You cannot use vote tallies to determine whether the nation is unified or not. Thats silly.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
And what would make a better judge grover?

Public opinion? Surely not.

As far as I'm concerned, there is no good way to judge unity amongst a country. So speculation from either side could be considered "silly".

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
this doesn't surprise anyone as this opinion is shared by many, in fact albeit you won't see finger pointing to Bush stop until the GOP has another candidate to implicate and blame. People dislike and hate Bush, that's all there is to it. The same can be said about Obama and the Dems. You will see as U.S. popularity rises, so will world tensions. The American people are the ones who will suffer as always, regardless which ever party is in office as the media has us feuding over principal beliefs that only effect us as they set policies that affect the whole world. we cannot all agree on anything except to dis-agree as the fundimentals of our great nation puts a giant target on the U.S. all the time. It is never discussed that the freedoms of our country is the main reason the world hates us. Freedom of religion, womans rights, gay rights (or as I like to call them sexual rights as the term gay rights is discriminating and degrading), personal privacy, and the right to bear arms to name a few. PEOPLE DIE EVERYDAY for exercising the rights we take for granted everyday in their own countries. Unless they plan on changing the policy on these very controversial subjects which make us the greatest country in the world, I don't see what is going to "change".

new topics

top topics

join