It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would you fix society?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I'd agree with the '___'/psychedelic answer. I did a legal one, and had an entirely different trip than my friends. It showed me the wisdom of returning to a natural life. I do want to eventually get out of society, but I need to buy a few things first.

But as for meditation, haven't people from the East been meditating for a hell of a long time? And last time I checked the East was a hellhole.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mellisamouse
I would make the governments stop their rediculous control, and give every family 4-6 acres of land, to plant their OWN food, build their OWN housing and all be self sustainable, and no longer BE governed.

99% of the problem holdiing people back from doing this, is the governments greeding hording of supposed "crown" land.....rediculous.

Why should people live in tiny appartments like birds in bird cages when there are millions of acres of vacant land aLL over the planet?

Who made them God to say, I am born but the can have no land t5o live on?

Kinda sick controll the systems have I would say.

but the reason we cannot have that land is because we want to live in the city and close to amenities so all spare land is taken up with buildings and there is no land for a vegie patch of any sort.

if you want some land you will need to live much further away from the centre of the city

it is our fault we choose city life. if i want some land i can go and rent a house on a small parcel of land and grow some of my own food but it is not posible as long as I want to live in the city - close to city facilities.

crown land here in Australia can be leased on a 99 year lease so there must be similar schemes in your country.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I don't think anyone can "fix" society.

I think the best we can do is shrink the federal government down to where it is little more than a "body guard" of the American people.

That would effectively force people to get off Uncle Sams "nipple" and begin to accept responsibility for their own welfare.

Let the states govern. If you don't like the way a state is being governed, move on to a state that is more in line with your ideals.

Like-minded people would have opportunity to gather in their respective states and for the most part they could get along with each other.

At minimum they could agree to disagree. You stay in your state and I'll stay in mine.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I wouldn't want to change too much... yer all funnier this way.
Coming soon to the Planet nearest you... tomorrow.
We all have our wants and needy thingamabobs.
But WHAT do WE REALLY want? yesterday.
What don't we need? tomorrow.
What if nothing changes? Owelltoodoodidililou.
What if we're the comedy channel on Mars?
Or just a Jepeordy question on Vulcan?
What if you lived in a country that wouldn't allow you to think of any "What ifs"?
God/Man/Aliens ohmy.
oh what thin lines you have.
If I WAS KING of the Forrest...... I know what I'd do.
If Aliens land and say "take me to your leader". say... "Speaking"
They'll get a real kick out of that. works everytime.
about 1/2 of all the stars you see are really galaxies.
that's a lot of freakin' stars. what's our sign?
Galaleo doesn't know what he's missin'.
yep thats the big dipper rit ther.
Somedaze a Coma sounds more attractive.
But who would want to miss the next episode of
"What if the World keeps turning." followed by "Earth; turn baby turn."
Old news with new sarcasims film at 11.
For those of you just tuning in... goodnight.
"Shhhh.... ther's a wabbitt." says the great hunter,
"HE's GOT a GUN too!"
BLAM! click... BLAM!
Ain't no fun when the wabbitt got a gun.
Applications for Monarchy of the New World Order for only 3 easy payments of $19.95. And get a genuine piece of paper with my thanx absolutly FREE FREE FREE. Not only do you get all the World and my special handwritten thanx letter, but you'll also receive this handy dandy
racheting screwdriver and a 3" magnifing mirror for those do it yerselfers.
All this can be yours for just 3 easy payments of $19.95.
All applications in blue or black ink. Not all applicates may qualify.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
A long period of forced hibernation for all of mankind.
The last guy could also switch off the lights....

Set the timer for about ooooh three hundred years and then slowly emerge (fifty at a time) and then re-explore the newer, stranger world around us.

It wouldn't solve anything, but would give mother eath a nice bit of time to chill out and relax without us troublesome kids messing the place up.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by megabyte

Well, people like me want nothing to DO with the city.....I keep going farther and farther away and won't even VISIT the city anymore, but still, for those of us who choose to NOT live in the city, our hands are tied of the option to just be stewards of the land. Even when we own our OWN land....the governmebt tries to regulate what WE can do on our OWN land....they are NOT God, they do NOT have that right.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by mellisamouse
reply to post by megabyte

Well, people like me want nothing to DO with the city.....I keep going farther and farther away and won't even VISIT the city anymore, but still, for those of us who choose to NOT live in the city, our hands are tied of the option to just be stewards of the land. Even when we own our OWN land....the governmebt tries to regulate what WE can do on our OWN land....they are NOT God, they do NOT have that right.

i see

well then there is too many regulations where you live and although there needs to be some regulations - too many regulations is crazy

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
This is going to sound far out, but I've often tossed this idea around my brain - What would I change or do differently?

First you'd need to sort out all the problems that would need to be solved, i.e. Pollution, over-population, starvation, poverty - or social inequality, violence, disease, education, etc.

I think if you narrowed it down to over-population you'd be making a fairly good head start. Now you could go ahead and neuter scads of people - and, although terribly practical, it would be pyscologically damaging in the extreme, and socially impractical. You could introduce a one-child rule, but we've seen how socially distructive this is in China. You would need a population control ideal that would satisfy the biological imperitives to procreate that many of us have, and yet follow a ratio of human:land mass to avoid over-crowding any one particular area.

I suggest we all have our living quarters under-ground, and grow our food and oxygen above ground....
It's a wild theory, but it means there's plenty for all. Good luck getting it into practicality though!

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Lots of great posts on here. Though I can go all directions on this I agree most of all with those who say a change in mindset or "paradigm shift" is the best answer. Accept the world for what it is. Let it be! Let it be! And the day after we manage that. we can start to make positive decisions that aren't selfish and based on a false egotistical model/shell of the real world.

Most people make their decisions based on a false portrayal of themselves within a false portrayal of the world they live in. That is what has to stop. This is what I think when I think "paradigm shift."

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Scaye

"How would you fix society?"

Implement the US Constitution and Bil of Rights Worldwide.

'nuff Said.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I did say paradigm shift as my favorite idea but as far as the law goes I agree with Canadianduder I do like the Bill of rights and Constitution approach all over the world.

Under this every country would have a foreign policy of non intervention, and every person's rights as an INDIVIDUAL would be protected by law!

That is just two things that would happen and it would indeed be an amazing world.

But I still think it falls to the people to change as a whole. Under the constitution and bill of rights, people can still take advantage of others day to day, face to face economically and socially, they can still make decisions out of fear, hate, ignorance, etc.

[edit on 27-11-2008 by Novise]

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Novise

"they can still make decisions out of fear, hate, ignorance, etc. "

Are you saying you'd rather we live in a world were people's brains are so controlled by the state that they are unable to even MAKE decisions contrary to state doctrine?

How you can go as far as to restrict the very thoughts and feelings people are CAPABLE of having and still support a constitutional system is beyond me.

Good day.

You Americans don't read enough history.

[edit on 27-11-2008 by Canadianduder]

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Feed the homeless
to the hungry

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I'd implement the " Fair Tax " HR25 and abolish all federal income taxes both personal and corporate. We will pay taxes on what we spend not what we earn. The Department of education would be gone and schools will no longer be government run. Competition and high expectations will play a big role into getting our children ready for the big world economically. So many teachings in our schools are way out dated and students would prepare their selves with current situation teachings, statistics, probabilities and ways to access risk. Our kids coming out of High schools have no clue to the real world and that I would change.

Health care would be just the same as what the politicians in our government have. We work hard for those tax dollars and no citizen will be denied the same. Doctors still get paid for their services and citizens have peace of mine in their life as well. Government involvement will only be to make sure our rights are protected.

Along with high standards in schools, students & teachers comes high standards for banks, mortgage investors, businesses, insurance companies etc... If a company fails then there we be no bailing them out without them changing what went wrong and even then they still have to take responsibility for their wrongs and pay that money back. Ceo's will be fired without any extra bonus money to go on. I would never reward a failure.

I think if you do this then the rest will take care of itself. You'll have responsible people dealing with problems and fixing them without government help or tax payers money. No more holding anyone back from their potential to become great innovators, teachers, scholars, scientist and leaders. All government offices will have term limits so that new people with fresh ideas will have a chance to better their country.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Canadianduder

Well what I meant by that is that I wish people once allowed freedom and liberty would use that power to benefit their own good and the common good.

If everyone is given freedom and rights it does not stop them from taking advantage of others.

So I look for freedom along with a personal desire from those who have it to do what is best, in combination.

What is more troubling to me is how you see the two as mutually exclusive when I was agreeing with you for the most part and just threw in a personal attitude of basic good intentions. Might be a new idea, probably not.

Ron Paul said that he would get rid of government welfare, but would still expect people to take care of others through their own form of charity. This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. Freedom + good intentions.

Maybe I am off in my assessment but I think you are missing the heart of my point.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
when the time comes that the masses are awakened, we will act.

until then however, make the most of your days, hope for the best (with your optimystical mind), and prepare for the worst.

but ALWAYS hope for the best... you don't know who else is listening to your thoughts

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merle8
I'd agree with the '___'/psychedelic answer. I did a legal one, and had an entirely different trip than my friends. It showed me the wisdom of returning to a natural life. I do want to eventually get out of society, but I need to buy a few things first.

But as for meditation, haven't people from the East been meditating for a hell of a long time? And last time I checked the East was a hellhole.

'___'... what a wondrous thing. i have not yet experienced this.. but am planning to create freebase form for an enlightenment for some very prolific people of my age group in the area that i am staying.

as far as the east, yes they do have it rough.. at this day in age we all do. but in viewing the picture of the earth there is one thing that we go by... and thats money

money creates greed, which creates power. power indoctrinates fear. which fear leads to hate.. hate inevitably turns to anger and therefore death.

(tidbit of star wars w/ my own revision
)

i cannot predict the future... but if there are others out there with my visions, we will truly live long and prosper. speak your voices my friends.

and ps. it may be hard, but never hate. you will amazed of what you will reap.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
How does one go about fixing society... bluntly said, get off the computer and do something about it. Less talk, more action.

What would I do to change the [American] society... I would start by dissolving the two-party political system and allow the American public to vote for the person and not for party affiliations. And through this, we could be presented a broader selection of viable candidates with more diverse platforms.

I'd also ask more people to become involved in their local governments instead of shunning and badmouthing them. You don't need to be the president to create change - it can come from a local level that each and every one of us can achieve. And yes I have discovered most who want great changes are often those who will speak volumes yet will refuse to act.

The [American] public has a system in place. Granted it is a corrupt and biased system. But it is the system we have. If anyone wants to make a change, as sad as it is to say, you will have to work within this system.

What am I doing... I will be running for mayor of my local government in 2011. I don't think I have a chance to win... but working in television, radio and the club/live music scene - I have a good-sized group of people who will get word out. At least I can say I will be trying.

Cheers... McMartinson

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
we cannot be saved. we are a flawed creation and we will meet our end by our own hands. that is when society will be fixed

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
The Venus Project, or something very similar, ie. a high tech moneyless resource society, is crucial to our advancement on this planet, peace, social justice, planet earth recovering from the abuses we've forced upon her, and the only way we will ever join the cosmos, as all positive ets live this way. Until we do, we are living in the dark ages.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join