It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can NASA Really Send A Radio Or TV Signal From The Moon ?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

It is getting close to 2000 views of this post, apparently people want to know the truth concerning this issue.

I dont know about the rest but for me it is the amusment factor.

I LOVE THIS THREAD

ahhhh Amuk, you beat me to it..

2000 views... you want fries with that

I'm reading this for the entertainment value only...
and so far .. we all know who is losing !

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
There is some truth in saying that the radio waves die out. They never disappear, completely, but they do become undetectable.

If a transmitter was 100 light years away, and was sending out an omnidirectional signal using a transmitter capable of a 100 billion watts, then only 0.00000000000000000001 watts would hit the Aracebo dish. This is the smallest they can measure..

So, beyond a certain distance, you could not detect radio waves. However the Moon, Mars and beyond are a tiny distance compared to the limits of our abilities.

$0.02

Space.com article

[Edited on 5-4-2004 by Zzub]

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Well, I just want to say that I am glad you brought this all up Last Prophet. I have learned a great deal reading this. I would have enjoyed learning it a lot more if you had been learning along with me.

There is no problem (with me at least) in the fact that in your first few posts you questioned accepted science. And anybody who may have gotten miffed at you for doing so should chill out, because asking and challenging is how we learn.

BUT!!! Where your cheese fell off your cracker is when after 7 pages of people trying to teach you something, you refused to listen.

Son, God gave you two ears and one mouth...does that tell you anything???

Please don't get mad at anybody and go away, I sure would like to see you "get it".

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Valhall,
It looks to me like his intention was to mine points. I just looked at his points and what do you know, he just spent a very large amount, probably to get into RATS. I�m red with anger, if he manipulated the members of this site and wasted everyone�s time just to mine points, it shows very little respect to the people that wanted to educate him and allow him to �Deny Ignorance�.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   
He didn't spend the points, I removed them. It's a potential disciplinary tactic we have, short of global ignore or posting bans... it's an attention getter.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lastday Prophet
..... The size of the dish necessary to send or receive a signal is based opon where the signal originates, where it is being relayed to, and the wattage of the "Bird" I gave the facts of what it takes to send a signal from Russia to the USA , you need a 50 ft. satellite dish in russia as your uplink and a 50 ft. dish in the USA as your downlink. the satellite you would be using is AMOS 1, located at 4 degrees west, a common channel used to find this Bird is ORT International transponder 10. It is circular polarization and PAL formatted.

Then we have RF, which covers AM, FM, Citizens Band, shortwave and other waves, RF is based upon similar principles, the origin of the signal, the wattage of the transmitter and power of the reciever.

This brings us back to satellites as the system used to send these signals. They say the satellites orbit at 23,000 miles above the earth, again I doubt this and one of the reasons is that in the earlier days we used a tool for sighting satellites called satfinder, with this tool you could look up into the sky and actually see the satellites. It was like a mini telescope, about the size of a standard camping compass and had a inclinometer and compass built in. I seriously doubt if this tool had the capability to magnify a object that was 23,000 miles away, but again will not argue that point.

I explained what was necessary to send a signal from the Russia to the USA, a 50 ft. uplink and a 50 ft. downlink (you could use a slightly smaller dish for the downlink but some transponders will have noise and sparkles). If you do the math, 250,000 mi.(the distance to the moon) divided by 23,000 miles.....

If you are as you say you are (an expert in the field) then you are deliberately spreading misinformation, because you would definitely know better.

1.) Regarding your statement that AMOS transponder 10 is PAL formated is just plain stupid.
Tx 10 is indeed on international freqs (3.4 - 4.2ghz) and does use a circular polarization but the rest is wrong.
Transponders carry data, any data... to say that a transponder is PAL formatted (a video standard commonly found in europe) is just wrong.
Of course the video found on that sat is going to be PAL simply because that is what they use in that region of the world, but there is no software, firmware or hardware that in any way designates or limits any transponder to a specific video standard. period.

2.) Another thing, in your apparent attempt to validate your knowledge of satellites and associated technologies you differentiated between Microwaves and RF.
This too is incorrect and coming from one of your "expertise" resounds once again of your spreading misinformation.
RF = Radio Frequency which includes ANYTHING in the RF spectrum... Microwaves are resident inside the RF spectrum, in other words all microwaves are RF but not all RF is microwave.
Are you trying to throw a few terms around in hopes that in so doing you add credibility to your argument...?
NOT.

3.) Another fallacy you are spreading is the notion that because it would take a 50 foot dish to have a pristine video signal from Amos 1 but to recieve a signal from the moon would require a 550 foot dish is downright insane.
I'm going to do this in layman's terms for those who are following this thread...Valhall or Skeptic feel free to correct me if you find me in error...

The sensitivity or gain of a parabolic dish is measured in increments of decibles (dBi & dBW).
The way you have described gain is a one to one ratio, but dB gain is in fact multiplicable for what you can actually recieve.
For instance a 35 watt signal from a space probe millions of miles away may not be "heard" by a 37 meter dish, but a 42 meter dish may have only a few db gain yet recieves the 35 watt signal quite well.
Therefore you do not need a 550 foot dish to pickup or send a signal to and from the moon.

I was prepared to provide algorithms, etc to back this up but (forgive my cynicism) knowing that you'll refute any information regardless of it's validity, I really don't think it's worth my time to go to the trouble. Right?

4.) Regarding your statement about satellites being visible from 23,000 miles away....
I don't think you are seeing the actual Satellites but the glaring reflection of the suns light off of them... This is much like someone on a mountaintop with a 2 inch mirror can reflect the sun and send signals that the naked eye can see from many more miles away that the same naked eyes could see the 2 inch mirror.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
He didn't spend the points, I removed them.

It's a potential disciplinary tactic we have, short of global ignore or posting bans... it's an attention getter.

Oh ok S.O..
I�m going to try to calm down now.

*takes deep breath*

*counts to 10*

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Interesting, I see that my points dropped from over 3000 to 1042, is this the norm in here ? How do we go backwards ? I never posted for the points so as far as I am concerned they can stay at 1042. I am aware of most top level conspiracies for I have thousands of pages of documents, so there is not much I am not aware of.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
One other point egarding dish gain... You can also improve the overall gain substantially with a well-designed yagi at your focal point. We did this a long time ago with old-fashioned metal saucer sleds. A 6-element yagi would nearly double the reception gain from the same-sized dish. Focusing the yagi was the hard part... math helps.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lastday Prophet
Interesting, I see that my points dropped from over 3000 to 1042, is this the norm in here ? How do we go backwards ? I never posted for the points so as far as I am concerned they can stay at 1042. I am aware of most top level conspiracies for I have thousands of pages of documents, so there is not much I am not aware of.

If you never posted for points then why are you suddenly concerned at your drop in points?

Apparently you did not read the previous posts that explained why you lost them.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND Apparently you did not read the previous posts that explained why you lost them.
It's clear that he spends little time reading, and much time yapping and typing in support of ignorance.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
It's clear that he spends little time reading, and much time yapping and typing in support of ignorance.

Yap, Yap, Yap,Yap, Yap, Yap and Yappy!

Hint for Lastdayprophet:

LESS Yapping and MORE READING!

However, I must say that since you "have THOUSANDS of documents on every conspiracy and are illuminated beyond our pedestrian minds" that I would like to thank you for sharing your infinite wisdom with us poor numbskulls.

m...

[Edited on 4-5-2004 by Springer]

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 06:06 PM
link   
well... that's enough nonsense for one thread.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join