It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's funny how history repeats itself.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Since everyone is making these comparisons between George W Bush and Hoover and Obama and FDR I thought I'd throw in a few comparisons. It seems like that these two people have similar personalities, George W Bush has equally screwed up the USA in the same sense that Hoover has, and Obama is in the position to revitalize the economy. So far people seem to approve of Obama and what he's doing and he's as well liked for the most part I would think as much as FDR was. Obama is a tax and spend Democrat. George W Bush was a borrow and spend from China Neocon. If history truly repeats itself, we will see a reversal of Bush's policies from the last 8 years, and it'll be like the Clinton years, and the Reagen years in terms of foreign and domestic policy. It's funny seeing all these politicians with different personalities destroying or helping the country revitalize itself. Henry Paulson almost destroyed the auto industry by not diverting funds to it, and, forgot about citigroup and has made the fatal error of not helping out with the economy. Whoever the new guy is will have to come on and will have great responsibilities in an effort to prevent a new depression. I think it's just funny how history repeats itself.

I think that 2009 will be the same as 1933. I really think that history will repeat itself once again.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Good thread,

But my thought's would be.
When History that repeat itself, especially if it's negative, it mean's we have not learned from it.

Therefore it repeats over and over. Till we come to our awarness and learn. Then the next step is to change ourselves.

This is called progression.

Well this is just my two cent's

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mind is the universe

Ah... nicely put.

We are stuck in an infinity, the only way off is to jump track.

Can we do it? Finally?

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scaye

Ah... nicely put.

We are stuck in an infinity, the only way off is to jump track.

Can we do it? Finally?

thanks for the compliments.

Can we what? could you please explain more

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Oh I was referring to jumping track.

I think it's quite possible that this end of an era decides how we continue till the next age perhaps. Not really sure if it works that way, or the Mayans just figured 2012 would cover them for awhile.

However, I feel the time nears for a true change to humanity as a whole. Should we choose not to take a more positive route, we may not get out of this next infinity for awhile. Reason being is we won't be able to reach as many people as we can right now. Without education people will continue to be taught old ideas, such as religious beliefs that constitute fighting for a God, fighting evil, whatever. This idea of only the strong survive, having more than others, and being so competitive.

We are so much more than this. So much potential. There is still so much to see.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I see history repeating itself also.....Except Obama is the new Jimmy Carter. It's going to get alot worse before it gets better. Iran made Carter look bad, look for them to do the same to Obama. Carter raised taxes and Obama is sure to do the same.

You claimed that Henry Paulson almost destroyed the auto industry? That blame goes to the Auto Union. Did you know half of the 25 billion dollars GM wants will go to pay Union retirees pensions?

You talk about Bush being a big spender, but in actuality Bush didn't spend a dime. All spending starts in Congress. If Bush wanted $1 Congress would add $2 to get the bill passed, giving Bush no choice but to pass it. That was the only thing about McCain that impressed me..was his opposition to earmarks, but then he mucked that up by voting for the Bailout Bill which was pocked with it.

History is going back to 1976...the next question is who is the conservative to take us back to 1980?

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

George W Bush spent $10 billion per month on the Iraq war. Where do you get your figures? Obama won't be the new Jimmy Carter. Conservatives tend to act like Jimmy Carter did nothing. Do they even know anything about Jimmy Carter?

Here are some facts about Jimmy Carter, you can tell from these he wasn't a bad President:

Jimmy Carter served as president from January 20, 1977 to January 20, 1981. Significant foreign policy accomplishments of his administration included the Panama Canal treaties, the Camp David Accords, the treaty of peace between Egypt and Israel, the SALT II treaty with the Soviet Union, and the establishment of U.S. diplomatic relations with the People's Republic of China. He championed human rights throughout the world. On the domestic side, the administration's achievements included a comprehensive energy program conducted by a new Department of Energy; deregulation in energy, transportation, communications, and finance; major educational programs under a new Department of Education; and major environmental protection legislation, including the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act.

www.jimmycarterlibrary.org...

I think that he did a few good things. Maybe Obama will help champion civil rights as well and maybe he'll help educational programs as well.

Henry Paulsun is at fault for the mess we're in. He has refused to spend any more of the auto bailout. He has refused to take the role of leadership like he was asked to.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Bush - 10b / mo

Lefty congress - 700b

You do the math

The bailout failed. Congress just NEEDED it cause America apparenty would fail without it. They shoved the bill down our throats the second time.

Blame Bush all you want, because even if he vetos, 2/3 can push it through. Thus Bush takes the rap.

Most Americans know squat about politics or government, and no, repeating what you hear on CNN is not knowledge.

[edit on 23-11-2008 by Cio88]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
reply to post by RRconservative

Here are some facts about Jimmy Carter, you can tell from these he wasn't a bad President:

www.jimmycarterlibrary.org...

OK you want me to go to a Jimmy Carter website, and that is suppose to convince me he wasn't that bad?

Can I show you a pro Bush website, and think that it would change your mind about Bush?

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Cio88

Henry Paulsun was appointed by Bush and in charge of the bailout. He was the one behind the $700 billion spending spree, not the lefties.

And if you can try to change my mind about Bush with information about what he's done from his website to convince me that he's not all that bad then you can go ahead.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I really don't think hoping for 1933 is a good sign at all. 1933 was about the bottom of the depression. It started in 1929, and by 1933 it was at it's peak.

The depression didn't really end until WW2. When the fed started loaning out money again(they didn't have money to loan for food and such, but war - oh there is always money for that).

What even caused the great depression? The fed. Did people just stop wanting to work? Did the need for food go away? Did the need for things produced go away? No. The only thing that happened was the fed deflated the money supply and wouldn't create new money.

Unless Obama is in favor of getting rid of the fed, he's just another puppet bringing false hope. The economy is controlled by the fed, not the president.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

I'm hoping Obama will be a catalyst for the kind of change we want in the Government. I don't expect him to abolish the fed. I just think he'll get us out of the economic mess we're in right now.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I wish Jimmy Carter was the President right now. The country has gone down hill since the election of Reagan and G.H.W. Bush. ... The voters that elected Reagan really screwed up in 80 and have only themselves to blame for what has snowballed since, into this economic mess we're in. Bush 41 was right when he described Reagan's plan as voodoo economics.... Then came Phil Gramm who opened the gates to hell.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by hypervigilant

I would vote for Nixon. I meant it.

Anyone would do better than Bush. I mean, there haven't really been many Presidents in US history that have created a disaster as bad as this one.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Yes, it is funny how history repeats itself.

Hitler destroyed one of his own buildings and blamed it on people who didn't do it which led to WWII...

[edit on 24/11/08 by NuclearPaul]

top topics

join