It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mormons release SHTF survival list to members

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I'm not promoting any kind of religious belief, so having said that here's the the Latter Day Saints Preparedness Manual. I HIGHLY suggest you take a gander at this bad boy, download it, print it, or buy a hard copy for 7 bucks (they sell hard copies right here). You can also view the free pdf version.

Just how big is a Year’s Supply of food? As explained on the previous page, our Church is suggesting the following minimums for each adult:

• 400 lbs. Grains (17.5oz / day)
  • 60 lbs. Beans (2.6oz / day)
  • 10 quarts Cooking oil (0.87oz / day)
  • 60 lbs. Honey (2.63oz / day)
  • 8 lbs. Salt (0.35oz / day)
  • 16 lbs Powdered milk (0.70oz / day)
  • 14 gallons of drinking water (for 2 weeks)

So, just how much is this? Two 5 gallon buckets will hold about 75lbs of wheat, rice or other grains.
This means you need 11 buckets of grain for each person in your family.

If you store all your grains in #10 cans…

• Wheat, Rice, Corn, etc. - you would need 64 cans or 10.5 cases per person.
  • Pasta - you would need 32 cans or 5.25 cases per person.
  • Rolled oats - these are lighter but bulkier, so they require more storage containers and space. You would need 124 cans or 21 cases person.
  • Beans - a 25 lb bag of beans will about fit in a single 5 gallon bucket, with a little space over, so 2 buckets would hold a one person supply, or 12 -13 # 10 cans or about 2 cases.

Daily Food - dividing 400lbs by 365days, equals out to 1.09589lbs, or just over 1 lb of grain, per person, per day. That is approximately 2 cups of unground grain to cover your breakfast lunch and dinner. Dividing 60lbs by 365, this works out to 0.16 lbs of beans per day, or 2.6 oz—approximately 3/4 cup. The other foods listed would also need to be used in limited amounts.

This is not much food, folks. Get the basics, then immediately begin to add more kinds of grain, soup mix, canned and/or dehydrated vegetables and fruit, etc to add variety and provide more than the minimal survival diet. As an example, the minimum recommended amount of grain, when ground and prepared will yield about 6 small biscuits or a plateful of pancakes. It’s enough to keep you alive, but a far cry from being satisfied and not hungry.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
If I'm not mistaken, the Mormons have always told their members to be prepared like this. Seems like a good idea IMHO Wish I had the storage area for a years supply of food.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
The section on Money is interesting(Page 142).

It is suggesting that we should have a supply of money in cash, in case there is ever a major financial crisis. Correct me if I am wrong here, but if there was ever a financial meltdown like they are describing then bills wouldnt be worth the paper they are printed on. I think we would likely revert back to using gold as a currency or there would be no common currency and we would need to trade.

[edit on 23-11-2008 by centrifugal]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
The LDS Church used to expect members to stock a two-year supply of food, now it's a year, and most members have only about a six months supply. The very active keep to the one-year supply, many lapsed members don't stock anything at all.

Because of the difficulty in storing this much food for a very large family, many buy bulk wheat, rice, and so forth. It is a part-time job keeping a pantry like that organized and the Mormons have perfected it.

Getting to know the LDS in your community might be a good move. They operate canneries, food banks for their members and are very self-reliant. Most are good, decent folks who are focused on their family and communities. They would be great to establish a barter system.

There is an urban legend among the Mormons that the US will one day collapse the Church will step in to run the country.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
A very useful post.......flagged and starred. Looks lilke I will be becoming a Mormon, well in food storage at least. Food, some cash, silver, and a good supply of lead seems to be a very necessary collection these days.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
LOL, bulk wheat. I used to laugh when I would see the UN giving out big bags of wheat out of the back of a truck to refugees on tv because I would have no idea WTF I'm supposed to do with a 50 lb sack of wheat.

Now rice I could use, and I actually have a 25 lb bag tucked away.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I am a Latter Day Saint and, well wheat is not as hard to keep stored as it is often thought. A good bag can stay edible for as long as 50-75 years if stored properly.

And wheat is extremely versatile, just about the best kind of survival food you can have is something that packs proteins, carbohydrates, and fiber.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I think that the Mormons have a philosophy of keeping a years supply of food around.

When times get tough, the Mormons will be one of the better equipped populations and will have a better chance of making it through.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Great post - not a mormon but they're long time doomers ...

cooking oil, aka vegetable oil, doesn't last very long and can go bad. I'm not certain how to store it.

Also it seems like they are low on the amount of water you will need per person. If you have that much grain, beans, etc... you better have enough water to cook and clean it let alone have water for drinking and cleaning yourself etc...

More on the water I'd say

Great post

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by centrifugal

My understanding from my attorney's secretary who is a Mormon is that they should also hold stores of Gold and Silver. At least her church was telling her that and she has all the food, guns, and gold and silver.

The Mormons have always in my life taught this mind of preparedness and I guess it is good advice for all peoples everywhere.

I always post on these threads to be prepared for anything and you need:

Guns and ammo
Food
Water
Water filtration system - Like the Berkey water filter
Gold/Silver and cash
Gas
Toilet Paper

Ok quit laughing at the toilet paper, but think about it. Can you imagine the value of toilet paper in a disaster of whatever kind that had the people without supplies for long periods. If you're married and have kids think about how much your wife would make you pay for toilet paper, think about how much it would be worth in trade value. Just the little things people don't think about but should. A woman without toilet paper is not something I would need to face while in a crisis, hell I don't want to face that now, DO YOU?

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by theindependentjournal

I was just about to say, stocking up on food is great, but what about water? What plan do the mormons have for that? How many gallons does a year's worth of water add up to?

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
*bump*

thought it appropriate for people to reacquaint themselves with this list

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
You need to stock up on water in VERY large quantities. This might help...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Don't forget about medications. I am not big on having a lot of prescriptions, I'm more into homeopathic remedies, but I do have a couple of prescriptions I have to fill every month. I have been concerned about it and next visit am going to ask my doctor if I can have 90 day supplies.

And I've been rinsing my 2 liter pop bottles out and filling them with water. This water would be fine for cooking and washing. Probably ok for drinking too at least for several months.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I've never thought about the logistics of how much storage space would be required for a 1 year food supply for a family of 4 before. Yikes! Where on earth would I put 44 #5 Gallon Buckets of Grain, let alone everything else on that list!

For apartment dwellers, I guess we have to settle for stockpiling 40 cases of Ensure in a small hall closet!

Good point about water though Ventessa! I remember going 2 weeks without water when our city was without water, sewer or electricity due to a severe flood. I had 50 Gallons of water stored, but it was by no means close to enough to make it through that 2 weeks. We still had to make daily trips to visit the National Guard truck to get our 2 Gallons of daily rations.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I am not a religious man at all, but I have met a lot of Mormons and indeed the are very friend and kind people.

I have had a copy of that list for a while, but thanks a lot for posting the link.

I have no place to store that much food, but it indeed, a great list to get prepared off of.

posted on Jun, 18 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
It's interesting that this popped up again, as I am in northern Utah right now, and just down the road is this place..

beprepared.com...

I've been inside, and yes the Mormons are taking this very seriously.

Actually, they have some great stuff there, you can try samples and it was pretty interesting listening to some of their ideas, opinions on the government, the economy etc. These people are very seriously preparing for the worst.

Here in Utah, survival supplies, weapons and ammunition are a booming business right now.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join