It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Young girl murdered after being accused of witchcraft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Young girl murdered after being accused of witchcraft

www.albuquerquenews.net

A 16-year-old girl has been beaten to death by villagers in a suburb of West Bengal in India.

The girl had been accused of practising witchcraft and entrancing the son of her former employer to marry her.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I thought these days were long behind us. Which hunts in this day and age I thought were non existant.

She was working in the home of the grocer as a maid servant until the grocer came to know of the relationship and sacked her.

Basically, the the boss didn't like her have a relationship with his son and 'did away with her' under the guise of killing a practicing witch

No one has yet been arrested in the incident.

Does the weatlhy grocer have influence over the local authorities? Maybe HE is a witch.

I hope somebody does get arrested soon, otherwise this will set a precedent for unapproved relationships around the world. "I didn't want her with my son so she put a spell on him...she is a witch!!"

What was the test? Did she weigh the same as a duck?

www.albuquerquenews.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   
This is very sad. It just goes to show you that although we grow more technological in our age we do not evolve to see each other as equals. A very sad truth. I hope that someday we realize that we all breathe the same air and should do unto others as we would like to be done unto ourselves.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Poor girl. Obviously position came into play and religious weapons were used. If this 'entrancement' was a basic bit of witchcraft then every girl would be a witch, which may be the point, maybe. No, women don't try to pull men too, honest.
She got on the wrong end of a load of corruption, and they decided to frame her with the book of religion.
I wonder about acts being defined. You can define murder, but witchcraft? It's deliberately not defined to open your imagination and fear.

People control. Evil religion once again.

[edit on 23-11-2008 by redled]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Beaten for 3 hours! What a horrible way to die. She suffered greatly. I wish she was a witch and they are cursed for eternity by their actions. I know that is wrong of me. I think they pretty much are cursed now for such evil actions. Bastards gang up on a young girl and beat her to death. I am so horrified thinking of it.

spelling edit

[edit on 23-11-2008 by raven bombshell]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Yes. It truely amazes me, that in this modern age like Blowfish mentioned, that there are still some pockets of people that are still so superstisious to the point of killing someone over thier misguided beliefs.
It is one thing for some for the 'villagers' to hold onto these ways, but for the Authorities to do nothing? It makes you wonder if this is a case of hiding behind ones religion or blatant corruption. If the whole village was involved, or at very least witnessed it, this may be the onlt 'plausable' story that could concoct at short notice.
Either way, it is just wrong!!

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Right..

According to the news piece the young man decided to marry her, the thing that he was "bewitched" at the time must be the claim of his father who must be some type of a local hoodlum, since no one was arrested for that murder I wonder how come we already have a version of the alleged causes that led to the events, seems like the police sat and had a nice chat with the guy and then let him go? This news supposed to come from a country that recently send a probe to the moon and also has nukes and are we supposed to feel safe with this kind of people around??
Tell me its all a bad dream..

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Yes this is frustrating. Some places in the world is still like in the dark age.
(Maybe it is still huh?)

I recently read a news that a 16 year old albino girl was killed for the purpose of witchcraft. I forgot where I read that.

Bottomline is that this happens in several countries and not a unique case.

I guess International organization, NGO or UN should be doing more steps to counter this.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by searching_for_truth

Well that's the correlation. Everyone is baffled how this still occurs during a technologically advanced time. Yet if you have ever visited places that have these conflicts you would see that they aren't living in this so called technologically advanced era. These people are living at least a half-century behind the times. The knowledge that we have acquired as a society they have not have had the virtue of learning yet. People do not murder others without a reason. While I don't condone their disgusting actions, you must see that they thought what they were doing was right. Fanatical Zealots following obscene beliefs can also be seen in our country just to a lesser degree.

-Ign0RanT

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Ign0rant

We arbitrarily accuse nations of terrorism and bomb the crap out of them killing hundreds of thousands, heck tens of millions by this point in history.

Im pretty sure we do stuff like this only on a scale so large it somehow seems different.

We are animals, no matter how you dress us and what sort of charriot we ride in, we are still animals. How was your steak tonight?

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I see stories about sorcery/witchcraft-related death in Africa from time to time. This is the first I've seen from India.

I would say that although people in the G-7 "developed" nations no longer kill over witchcraft (unless they are insane), there are many who certainly believe in it and believe that it is harmful/dangerous. A number of Christian fundamentalists in America, for example, seem very set on stamping out "Wicca" and branding it as a demonic, satanic thing, etc. I doubt they'd kill over it but who knows. We live in strange times and there are always extremists in the wings waiting to lash out irrationally.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

Sad man. If she had truly been a witch she could have stopped her own murder possibly! I think just like the witch trials of Salem, it is just a way to accuse a person when what you really want is to shut them up or be rid of them, so cry witch to ignorant fools who will listen.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

You'd be surprised about India. Many of the smaller tribes still have thier superstitions. And it is not just African and Indian and other so called underdeveloped countries. There are still sections of Italy, Slavic countries and many others that if not practice, at least fear spells and curses etc.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
India has loads of problems with its populace. Especially from these radical Hindu's killing people they don't like and primitive beliefs such as these. I don't think they will be overtaking us anytime soon

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I made a thread about what happens to the 'witch children' in Africa here.

I've included links to a documentary and the website for the refuge set-up to take in the children that survive these attacks.

new topics

top topics

join