Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Whats the best Vehicle for an extreme survival situation....?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I've decided I'm going to stop including a SHTF scenario in the purchase of a new vehicle and get a Honda Fit. If I need too, I will steal a truck or suv.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marlborough Red
If you had to choose a vehicle that you would/could buy or get your hands on what would you want?

What vehicle does anyone here think would be the best type that would give you the most advantage in a survival type scenario?

Would it be a Land Rover, truck, tractor, tank, excavator, Hummer, Land Cruiser?

Personally I think a Unimog may well be one of the top contenders:

www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk...

You would have excellent off road capabilities, good on road speed excellent carrying and towing capacity as well as PTO and hydraulic lines to power things like generators.

Just a hypothetical question would be interested to see what others personal choices would be.

MR

Any USED MilSurp MRAP vehicle. Technically you can buy a and older BTR 60 diesel, for about 30,000 us, or a Daimler Ferret scout car for $20,000 so I'd take either of those.

My actual SHTF plan is to wait until it goes down, and then try to go to Brinks, center or Wells Fargo and steal one of those trucks. Best plan if you can't throw down tens of thousands of money for an up armored RV.
edit on 28-3-2011 by Butterbone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Should the shtf, then I'm off to the coast to steal a nice 30 foot yacht.
I figure there will always be wind, I can catch fish, get water easily.
I'll end my days happily singing G&S Pirate king song. Arrrrrr!

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Aston Martin DBS...... why not treat myself

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
if situation allows it :

a decent Landrover .....

or a Nissan Patrol GR straight diesel.

or if no fuel

a horse

or your own feet ........

snoopyuk

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
the best vehicle, is the one that isn't registered to you, that can go off road and has enough room for extra fuel and supplies while getting great gas mileage...a toyota 4x4 pickup perhaps?
just make sure you cover it in flat infrared absorbing paint and insulate the tailpipe and motor compartment thoroughly

and don't forget to unplug the brake and running lights
edit on 28-3-2011 by anumohi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
cutting tools
Tool Masters is the leading innovator and manufacturer of a wide range of precison Cutting Tools.Our product quality and range is well supported by 'State-of-the-art' machines for manufacture with a strict in-process control.
edit on 5-5-2011 by samkallis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Pre 80's vehicle is less likely to be affected by solar flairs. I just picked up a 72 vw bus with new 2000cc engine. fitted with this www.trailerinabag.com about to modify the trailer for portable solar and wind. I Have bought books on repair and getting tools and spare parts ready. They are easy to fix. Thinking about making into bio diesel.

posted on May, 5 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I live a few miles from an assembly plant. They don't make them there but always have a supply of brand new 4x4 Dodge Ram diesels.. gas tank full and keys in the ignition. Extended cab, maybe id even get a dually.

Id then like to get it to the fabrication shop I used to work at. If I had a full day, id weld in a makeshift roll bar, protect the windows and lights with grated steel and fab up some way of protecting the wheels and gas tank.
With a welder and plasma cutter it wouldnt be too hard to come up with a way of being protected inside the vehicle and able to shoot outside. This is were the bed of the truck becomes very useful. Weld some steel or iron plates spaced along the doors, fenders and body. Id also want a way of carrying some fuel.

I've spent considerable time thinking of my zombie escape vehicle lol

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I have a 91 Nissan Pathfinder, with nearly 240K on the ticker.. and she goes anywhere I tell it. I've beaten the crap out of here and she keeps coming back. I can vouch for older Nissan's any day!

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Since this is is a theoretical only anything goes question I'm going to say...

My own personal subway system leading to my hideout. Roadblocks? Don't affect me. Mad max style bandits? good luck chumps I'm underground. Fuel? Alls I need is enough power to get to my super secret hideout. In fact i don't even need that. Run out of juice just casualy walk the rest of the way through my secret tunnel. Fool. Frikin. Proof.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SprocketUK

thankfully I have my SHTF vehicle already, it's a 96 model 4x4 Hilux dual cab tray back. Recently done the suspension with 3" lift and 2" body lift, I purchased quality shocks wich has resulted in great on off-road 4x4'ing and excellent on-road cornering holding a corner at 100km/h with less body roll then my girlfreinds 09 model hatchback. I have sourced alot of modifications and just waiting on the income next to come is front and rear locker switch and a pair of quality mud tires. Hopefully I get enough warning as I live on the east coast of Qld and actually have a bad feeling right about now, almost want to grab the BOB and head to the hills.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Criteria:

Off-road capability (highways may be filled with debris, wreckage)

Parts are common, easy to find (you'll have to repair it, so good luck with those landrover parts)

Fairly common, standard tires (probably the most common thing needing replacement)

Cargo capacity (need to carry your stuff)

Easy to repair (so probably an older model...these new vehicles, you need computers, special tools, etc.)

Solid construction (not a lot of fiberglass)

Just find something that fits all of that, and you've got my choices.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
i can think of many scenarios where i could get a dirt bike where no 4 wheel drive would make it.

posted on May, 10 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I'm looking at an older style jeep wrangler and a BushRanger 250 off-road camper, styled after the adventure trailers from Australia. Everything you need to get away will fit into the trailer.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
If anybody is so inclined, I need help finding a good non-computerized vehicle, preferably a wagon. The post isright here. Thanks in advance!

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join