It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats the best Vehicle for an extreme survival situation....?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
If you are thinking survival and escape from a major event in a highly populated area,
you have to keep in mind that there may be no fuel and traffic will be in complete
gridlock.

You must think in terms of low tech with as few electronics as possible.

A horse or a off road bike with at least 5 gallons of fuel and a pair of heavy duty bolt cutters
to open gates and fences, and a siphon hose because you may need to go cross country and
"borrow" fuel from abandoned vehicles.

If there is no power, gas stations will not be able to pump and most stores will not be able to sell you anything if their computers are down. Banks and ATMs will also be down, so you better have cash or tradable goods.

As far as a conventional vehicle, a Toyota 4X4 with limited slip differential like my '99 4X4 will get you through most situations and be able to carry dirt bikes and extra cargo.

The most important thing to remember is that the technology you depend on every day
will probably not help you in an extreme situation.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
if you got your little heart set on a Unimog they do make them into go anywhere motor homes too...
Unimog U1300L

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Wait! didn't think about a bike. Bikes are good for metro areas but metro areas become the centers of chaos and devastation.
A few years ago I had to read this scholarly article by these guys trying to visualize the future when incorporating global warming. they sensibly predicted an increase in sales of canoes, kayaks, etc.
I'd recommend any recreational toys like this anyway. Personally, I have a nice canoe, climbing gear, multiple bikes, and hiking gear-including a variety of cooking stoves.
Another Idea: Your feet/shoes, might want a ventilator mask though. 3M makes some good ones.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
in the book the stand by stephen king
there are pretty good examples of how traveling might be..a lot of biking, motorbikes,and walking..well least for me and the dude
one question for all you guys with fancy plans for Landrover this and Unimoog that..field repair?
fix that weird ass thing with what parts..Ford pickups are everywhere..get with program..(Ragnars Guide to Modern Survival Retreats)
i know these rides are known for hardiness but in an extreme event you must always remember Murphys Law..
# breaks..
two is one..one is none
what about your encumburance level geek

now the hiways are gonna be clogged with the dying and dead in there #ty honda cars with silent whistle tips and finally that one bad song that everybody plays loud that just goes tik tik boom will cease.
dead minivans full of fat family corpes who croaked when the Mcdonalds supply dried up.. All on the freeway in a big jam up..like in New Orleans during the evacuation a year or so before Katrina storm
over night camp outs on the 101 until..
A: you all realize there is no where to go
and you didnt have a destination in the first place cause your still trying to figger out what kind of #ing car to buy...
B:Armed roving goups of CHUDS, Mexican El MA, armed groups of racist baby raping cops of the police force that will have crumbled.
like rorschach's sign in the watchmen.
the world has already ended
it just hasnt caught up to your block yet chum..
wait till you get your colored sticker in the mail it will solve the riddle of your new car in the brave new worldworld.. a railcar..
lots of jews didnt think it would happen to them but then wham third encore "MOON RIVER!"..
and remember they have choppers that will be by your "CRIBS" so wave cause your now on "FLIR" and you GPS co-ord is noted and the Wilderness Response arm of the Feds will be by later to deal with you and the other fringe groups of Pot growers, Old timers, and Randy Weavers.

yeah then the old Waco Rollover will happen cause if you dont know what kind of car to buy you sure aren't thinking about how to transport your arsenal for safety and ease of access and will probably blow you Corvette to # at the first ARMY/NATO manned "citizen may i see you papers" roadblock..
right now you need whatever kind of four wheel thing you can get with a tow hitch to get you trailer full of playstation games and gallons of Mountain Dew into the "bunker"
i rented a uhaul and destroyed it..full coverge
#ing a
we are responsible people

tonight when you # your old lady or hand enjoy cause:
"DARK Times are coming..just you wait you'll see..you'll see.."

see ya there,
big d.
(8500 feet up 300 feet under and off the grid for two years..)

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
In an extreme survival situation, you are not gong to be able to count on anyone but yourself.
I'm one hour from the nation's capitol, so I've considered what might happen here during
a major evacuation.

I very clearly remember a mile long caravan of SUV's heading into Mount
Weather on 9/11 while no one was told what to do as we were under attack.
Not a word on what to do. We were on our own.

During Katrina, many first responders went home to care for their own families.

A few months ago, there was a major power outage in Mclean VA.
All the gas stations shut down. None of the stores were able to sell you anything, even for cash, because their registers were down. Banks were down, so the ATMs were down and they couldn't even see what you had in your account.

The new, not so secret National Anti-Terrorism Complex was taken out by a single fallen
tree along Lewinsville Road.

This was just a small glimpse of what might happen during a major event.

Most families are not even prepared to survive for a week or two without
essential supplies. Just imagine what would happen if hundreds of thousands of people
were suddenly forced to live in the dark ages.

I have a generator, but also realize that it will be useless without fuel.
One of my priorities is to have a hand pump installed on my well.
Fortunately, living in the forest means I'll be able to hunt if necessary, but you can't live without water.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
First ditch the chip off your liscence plates, is that possible? Then find an older model 4WD that does not have GPS and all the big brother mechanisims that will be tracked by radar and Sat's. Even newer car parts will have tracking devices in them sooo...

Remember even clothes have chips in them now, that new tent and gear, old army stuff still best. Food supplies, everything is under question.

If I had money, I would have an older 4x4 with a few bikes and a couple of dirt bikes in the back. Small trailer for hooking up to the bikes or the dirtbikes in case I had to ditch the truck. Tons of pockets welded into it all, to stuff as much as I could pack.

Second choice, horses and or mules.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

OMG!!! That is Swueet! I have a travel trailer, but that is just the best Ive seen yet! So very cool, is it yours?

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Folks, get real, there's going to be total gridlock on all streets and highways. You might get around a lot of it with a motorcycle but keep in mind there's going to be no gas available anywhere. People are going to be fighting over gas and siphoning it out of each other's vehicles until after just a few days there won't be any.

I'm thinking more about sheltering in place. I that is impossible for some reason, I think I would head out on foot with a well stocked backpack.

Motor vehicles, when TSHTF... dream on, y'all.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by switching yard

Motor vehicles, when TSHTF... dream on, y'all.

The thread doesn't necessarily have to be about Situation X as most on here have asumed.

I simply meant in an "extreme survival" situation.....

What vehicle would you want to have or be a part of your team where ever is is.....(Camel Trophy, Paris-Dakar etc etc.)?

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
As far as reliability and plenty of spare parts, Toyota still takes the high ground.

My '99 Tacoma Extra Cab SR5 V6 has 216K and has been amazing for reliability.
If I have any problems with the drive train as time goes on, there are plenty of
less fortunate ones to raid for parts in the junk yards.

I live on a mountain, so I needed something that will get me home and to work in the worst of conditions.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I'd get an M1A1 Abrams with some DU rounds and a Ma Deuce up top.

Line 2.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Ok a "conventional vehicle" is a great guideline, but I agree, a car during an ESS = good luck. It'd be a dice roll based on circumstance.

Things I would consider?

-Line Assembly quality
-fuel consumption
-cabin size / max occupants
-shelf life / durability of components (poor electronics a no-no)
-AWD dependability of system components?
-ride height /clearance (driving over and around debris)
-serviceability of design (ease of windshield replacement?)

........to name a few. But strict guidelines are not realistic in a Max Max situation where you will be in minimal maintenance / survival mode.

It's a really good question actually. I mean, it you can field strip and reassemble any particular model make & year, you're chances are just as good.....provided you have a stock pile of parts & fuel.....and pre mounted wheel and tire sets. (Unless you own and operate a tire machine and have lots of brand new rubber lying around and spare wheels)

If you were in a "white room with a wall of weapons" situation I would consider a :

Production 9/2003-2007 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD automatic.

This production omits the previous years with gelling of the oil / sludge problems (2000-2003). You would have to drive this vehicle expecting to never service the AWD system. This would mean one with all TSB performed, including the T case bearings that may leak on certain VIN's. This vehicle seems to have very few if any overall mechanically disabling TSB's (technical service bulletins) or open campaign recalls. Get one without a digital climate control for good measure. (get the mechanical dials) This body is based on the Camry platform not the tundra and has a large cargo area with rear fold-down. It has the V6 so it can get away from zombies but then again I wouldn't recommend a 4cyl version.

It's no Mercedes S600 the Guard Package but it gets my vote. (self repairing tires, 1 way (!) bulletproof glass, overlapping armored RPG proof panels, cabin compressor to force air out during a gas attack, rear doors that suck tight to the body...oh man)

kix

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Youll need an old Jeep 4x4 with off road tires and with a small diesel engine Old without turbo or an ECU, old regular diesel because if there is an EMP no car newer that 2000 will work. Also a Bike and a large 50 gal diesel good for for 5000 kms. ALso the hard top can be used as a small shelter in the wild.

The best would be to keep it elsewere away of regular paths and have a motobike handy to get to it.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   
if anyone has seen the Tremors TV show id want Burt Gummers truck. i think its a 1979 bronco. id convert the engine to run on ethanol and solar power. throw on good swamp tire and head up into the mtns.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   
4 wheel drive Iveco Daily Van with 3 litre non turbo engine, fitted with the optional extra of twin fuel tanks giving 180 litres, bull bar and mill spec tow bar. 4 x 20 watt PV cells on the roof, sub floor 200 litre water tank, two spare wheels, plus a rear door mounted rack carrying another 4 x 20 lite jerry cans of fuel. Inside fitted out with a self build interior containing 4 berths, kitchen, toilet, food and clothing supplies etc.

Thats what I would like, currently I am using a 2WD 2.5 liter non turbo Ford transit with only 70 liter tank,two extra jerry cans, 1 PV cell, three berths, kitchen, toilet etc, bull bar and tow bar, it still suitable for the three of us to live in for roughly up to a month, but its getting old and its not quite big enough, I should buy a medium wheel base van next time, instead of the short wheel base. But at least I can also tow behind my wife Mitsubishi 4x4 as well.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 05:02 AM
link   
If you need to build your own and fit it out yourself as well, may I suggest you get a copy of TRAVEL VANS, by John Speed, Its basically the best How To book on the subject available.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I have my Land Rover off road ready,can drive through 2 ft of water,climb rocks,has a 120 volt converter,bullet proof drive train,I spent 4000 on new suspension and drivetrain items,only thing is will have to pull a tanker truck with gas lol,9.9 mpg is only drawback,ohh and can watch dvds and play X Box or any other game

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oldtimer2
I have my Land Rover off road ready,can drive through 2 ft of water,climb rocks,has a 120 volt converter,bullet proof drive train,I spent 4000 on new suspension and drivetrain items,only thing is will have to pull a tanker truck with gas lol,9.9 mpg is only drawback,ohh and can watch dvds and play X Box or any other game

I used to have an old 110 and ex army trailer, I modded the trailer so i could put a Magaliaoni roof tent unit on it, with a swing out kirchen on the draw bar, it was rotten outrigers and 10 MPG made me get rid of it. Now I want it all in one vehicle thats why I'm after a 4x4 van.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
None of these will do well against improvised IED, which will come to the US just as surely as it came to Iraq. All these vehicles mentioned will be blown into smoking rubble --Or carjacked by force! That Unimog is so cool, the car-jacker may allow you to live!

My opinion would be a simple, crappy looking Mercedes 300 diesel (preferably a wagon) which looks like crap but which can use StraightVeggieOil or Diesel. I'd want my survival vehicle to look totally lame on the outside so as to be easy to hide and not attract a bunch of attention. also it must run on SVO or diesel. Forget processed unleaded gasoline, you been watching too much Mad Max. The Diesel engine is 100 years old and was designed to run on common food oils (peanut oil was first used when it was demonstarted at the world's fair by Mr. Diesel)

All these vehicles mentioned will be fun to steal or simple let the dead driver fall out and take it! GTA is for real! Open door, take vehicle.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
personaly i would go for an off road bike. it would be easy to by-pass any grid lock on the roads and be reliable on rough terrain. the bike i would choose would be the bmw r1150gs

can fit all the essentials on the bike, an it can get you anywhere. be it mountains, wetlands or desert.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join