It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird phenomenen over London today

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Just writing to check did anyone else see the weird thing in the sky over London today, November 22nd around 2pm. I was driving on the M25 heading for the Dartford Crossing when it caught my eye.

The sun was about 2 O'Clock in my field of vision, but at about 11 O'Clock position there was another bright light shining through a particulary dark cloud. The shining through was causing a partial rainbow, about 10 degrees worth. I asked my sister who was in the passenger side could she see it and she agreed it was weird to have such a bright light in the sky other than the sun.

I was able to see it a bit more clearly as I was wearing sunglasses, rainbow colours were quite vivid. Any ideas? Leonid? Something reflecting in the clouds?

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
You have perfectly described a sun dog. They can be quite stunning.

Do a google search on them and you will see what they are and how they are seen.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by sensfan

Do a google search on them and you will see what they are and how they are seen.

Very funny. Learn to read.

I clearly said that the sun was in my field of vision of well. We only have one sun, so go google that and confirm it before replying.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by howmuchisthedoggy

London, Colorado? I do not believe there is such a place. Do you mean Durango? And that is a place, and not to be a soon extinct Dodge/Chrysler product.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
In defense of sundogs everywhere, and sensfan, please read this carefully:

'Sundog' is a common name for a 'Parhelion'
'Parhelion' means 'beside the sun', a common bright circular spot, beside the sun.
I think you should have googled like the lady so eloquently offered for you to do, before putting your foot in your mouth.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez

London, Colorado? I do not believe there is such a place. Do you mean Durango? And that is a place, and not to be a soon extinct Dodge/Chrysler product.

errrr? What?

Anyhow, to clarify it is the original London, United Kingdom. Sheesh @@:

Glad to see ATS has progressed from concise analysis and discussion to this. Should have said it was a UFO maybe? That I was abducted by little grey aliens wearing Obama 08 supporter shirts who told me who shot JFK AND blew up the towers on 9/11? That may have garnered more attention and discussion. Maybe a few stars and flags for tabloid content.

Boo hiss membership of ATS. Be ashamed. Be very ashamed.....

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Source

This somewhat looks like what you were saying about how the sun and the other light was at 11 and 2. Possible solar halo?

[edit on 11/23/2008 by Forest]

[edit on 11/23/2008 by Forest]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   
heres a link to wiki sun dog page describing a " sun dog ".

there is even pictures for those of us that need to " learn to read ".

did it look anything like those OP.

[edit on 23-11-2008 by pureevil81]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
In defense of sundogs everywhere, and sensfan, please read this carefully:

'Sundog' is a common name for a 'Parhelion'
'Parhelion' means 'beside the sun', a common bright circular spot, beside the sun.
I think you should have googled like the lady so eloquently offered for you to do, before putting your foot in your mouth.

Thanks for your charitable and valiant defense of the ladies on the board, despite their misdeeds amd insults towards me. Telling people to google the sun like that is clearly a put-down and not in the spirit of "Denying Ignorance". Again, learn to read and analyse posts before accusing people of mis-speaking. I am well aware of what sundogs are and there is a large difference between a sundog and what I saw.

On top of the position of it in the sky relative to the sun, it seemed it was at a much lower altitude and intensity of brightness.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by pureevil81
heres a link to wiki en.wikipedia.org... page describing a " sun dog ".

there is even pictures for those of us that need to " learn to read ".

did it look anything like those OP.

That's what I saw. I stand corrected. I don't know what sundogs are apparently. Sorry to all.

Still doesn't take from the fact that it could have been explained in a less sarcastic manner. No wonder new members don't want to post if this is the condescending attitude that greets them.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Um, I didn't hear any sarcasm from sensfan. And plucky is always sarcastic; you're not being singled out.

Did you think sensfan was saying something like "You have perfectly described a sun, dog"? As in, 'dog': a reference to your username? If so, an unfortunate misunderstanding. Nothing to get riled up over.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ian McLean

Um, I didn't hear any sarcasm from sensfan. And plucky is always sarcastic; you're not being singled out.

Did you think sensfan was saying something like "You have perfectly described a sun, dog"? As in, 'dog': a reference to your username? If so, an unfortunate misunderstanding. Nothing to get riled up over.

I totally agree. Sensfan was just being "matter of fact". The OP is seeing an affront where there was none intended. That'll be two cents please.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   

I live in Kent and although I did not see what you saw whilst I was driving north near Faversham on Wednesday evening at about 4.30pm the sky at sunset was the most amazing blood red colour I have seen in all my 39 years .I wish I could have stopped the car to film it.Apparently it was shown on the south east news that night as the camera men went on to the roof to film it. And I am talking deep blood red with no pink or orange .I have never seen this colour before at sunset Awesome.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by pureevil81
heres a link to wiki sun dog page describing a " sun dog ".

Just to add....a better link on sundogs, parhelions, halo's and other atmospheric phenomena

www.atoptics.co.uk...

www.atoptics.co.uk...

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Well besides the sensitivity of some people, this is a good thread..I learnt something I knew nothing about..sundogs! thanks to everyone who provided some info. How did they get the name sundog, does anyone know?

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by howmuchisthedoggy

Originally posted by sensfan

Very funny. Learn to read.

I clearly said that the sun was in my field of vision of well. We only have one sun, so go google that and confirm it before replying.

your avatar is abhorrent.
things should not be shown eating other things in our forum avatars.
disgusting.

-

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   

I totally agree. Sensfan was just being "matter of fact". The OP is seeing an affront where there was none intended. That'll be two cents please.

I reread and do apoligise to sensfan wholeheartedly. I know it's no excuse but I made the mistake of letting my offline life and mood spill over on to a public forum, so I am sorry.

As for my avatar, well.......Dave Rabbit found it funny...

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Forest

Yes, quite like that. It makes sense, having read about sundogs on Wikipedia, as the weather is quite icy here in the UK at the minute. You learn something new everyday.

Add to that the weird upsidedown rainbows we had a few weeks ago, we are seeing some unusual weather phenomenen.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Never heard of sun dogs. That explains what I saw a few years ago. It looked like two suns, or something else very bright partially obscured by clouds. The wiki page said they usually occur at sunset or sunrise, but it was about 11 am.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by howmuchisthedoggy

I reread and do apoligise to sensfan wholeheartedly. I know it's no excuse but I made the mistake of letting my offline life and mood spill over on to a public forum, so I am sorry.

As for my avatar, well.......Dave Rabbit found it funny...

No worries. I can see where the misunderstanding was. I shouldn't have put the space between "sun" and "dog" and should have said sundog instead. After I re-read it, I saw that it was easily misconscrued.

Cheers.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join