It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are all Hotels the same?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I just wanted to reply that I agree with you Skyfloating. I love offbeat hotels/motels that are different and I go out of my way to stay there.

When I'm in New England I love to stay at the roadside motorcourt relics from the 50s. [Shoutouts to the Northwood Motel in Northwood, NH and the Maine Motel and Cabins in Lewiston, ME]. They're owned by nice, usually older people, who have been in the business a long time and still take pride in the place. They don't just see a lodger as a $$, but as a person whom they want to make comfortable.

It's getting harder and harder to find places like this when you travel in certain areas - places that aren't chains and where the owner actually comes to the front desk when you check in and cares how your stay was when you leave.

p.s. If you take that Canadian vacay, make sure you swing by and say hello!

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
As someone who has spent years, agregate, in hotels I have learned to travel with a few things that I use to change up the environment of sameness. They are:

Flame retardant scarves (over lamps)
Candles
colorful silk quilts and pillow cases
Throw rugs I (when I have had to 'live' in a hotel for months at a time I buy them locally)
Tunes and a stereo system (much easier in the IPod era)

None of this takes up too much luggage space and at least gives me a measure of control of the 'mood' of the room. For me the lighting situation and muted colors is the soul-killing aspect of hotel life and the easiest to remedy.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by sc2099
p.s. If you take that Canadian vacay, make sure you swing by and say hello!

OK.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

You actually take this stuff with you...

I very much see how the lighting plays a major role. Half-burnt flickering neon-bars being the worst of all.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Yes, I do, it is no big deal. It all fits into a flat plastic bag -- except votives, they are in a 6"x 6" sq. box -- and I change up the silk coverlet stuff every now and then so my rooms don't all start looking like 'my rooms'. It stays packed and ready, so I just throw it in my bag.

I have an even more elaborate 'Survival Kit' for loooong stays, but then we start talking about my personal comfort (and person) as opposed to combating 'sameness'.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I react terribly to florescent light. My brother is an electrician and he said some people are very sensitive to it. I don't like overhead lights that much. Lamp or candle for me.

for me the most important part of a hotel room would be the bathtub or shower. Has to have good water. I'm a water girl.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
South Pacific Fiji Islands. Instead of native colours, native customs, unique styles the first sing I saw when landing at the airport were: McDonalds, Shell Gas Station, Sheraton Hotel, Footlocker.

Have you read any J. Maarten Troost?
'Sex Lives of Cannibals' - Fiji, Vanuatu
'Getting Stoned With Savages' -Fiji, Vanuatu
'Lost on Planet China' - China

Very funny. Underbelly of travel and living in these places.
You might enjoy them.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:21 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: DanJoe

That was subtle.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join