It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ANALYSIS: British PM Blair's Solution to Terror is ID Cards

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Tony Blair has dropped the heaviest of hints that the best solution to global terror may come in the form of mandatory Identification Cards. The need for such a system has conveniently become more pressing and may "have to be introduced as a result of the growing terrorist threat "more quickly than we anticipated" once technical hurdles had been overcome."

The Guardian

Referring to conflicts between states and terrorist campaigns from Chechnya to Palestine and Kashmir, Blair stated that:

Governments were under "enormous pressure" from voters to retaliate- exactly what the terrorists wanted them to do, Mr Blair said during his monthly press conference.

At home, the prime minister asserted that most of the civil libertarian objections to hi-tech ID cards had been resolved, but that "practical and logistical" problems remained.

"I think we will need to readjust our terrorism laws still further," he said. "I think the whole issue of identity cards, which a few years ago were not on anyone's agenda, are very much on the political agenda here, probably more quickly even than we anticipated."

Comment:

One can only wonder what the "practical and logistical problems" might be. If we are to interpret Blair's Newspeak/Doublethink, he is implying that the only barrier to full-out implementation of a UK identification card is:
1. A change in the legal code.
2. An improvement in the practicality of the technology.
3. An improvement in the logistics, or installation of programs to outfit everyone with said card.

Sounds like it's coming. Blair would like to give you a card, but that's not practical. A chip would be so much more convenient. You're either with us, or you're with the terrorists, remember?

Related discussion on the ATS forum
How "The War on Terror" could be used to make you take the chip

[Edited on 2-4-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Any idea as to what information will be put onto the cards? Birthdate, gender, hair color, country of origin, religious background?

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Hey, the US is considering fingerprinting and photographing all those who enter from non-Visa countries. I'll bet they can get biometrics data from the photos.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
This is a great find. It's a pretty good puppet job I think. Make Blair announce the first ID card because it would look far too convenient coming from Bush. Then have the Americans adopt the tactic put forth by the British.

I don't like the smell of this one.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Thats marvellous (I know its my first day here but sometimes I just can't help the sarcasm).

It makes me wonder what I'm going back to. (I'm in the US at the moment).

And I thought Nazi Germany was bad - My God, I am so relieved that I didn't vote for Blair.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I was going to report on this but didn't have the time. I hope you are all seeing the bigger picture yet? If I have to spell it out for you then you're lost...

The "War On Terror(TM)" is a fraud. Here comes the police state everyone. I hope you enjoy it, you helped create it.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Feck that, I've been against it for the beginning. The sheep who just let it happen can kiss my pixy ring.

As for Blair - maybe its time he was executed for treason. (as I implied earlier).

Should Tony Blair be prosecuted for treason ?

Lets do a Braveheart on him. In fact, if I got to string the bastard up and disembowell him, I'd even pay for my own flight back to England.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Yay, more useless laws and regulations to further reduce peoples freedom and liberty.

Even if this were an honest attempt at curbing terrorism, this is the best they can think of? Absolutely brilliant...

new topics

top topics

join